Hmongs New law

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Chor_Moua said:
Okay, all i gotta say

To all my hmong chickas.

Doesn't matter if you agree with the new law or not.

This is my question.

Do you think you're worth $5,800.00 and only$5,800.00?
Remember there are no refunds or exchanges. Once you're bought, you're bought.

there is no arguing about who started the damn rule or law or whatever you guys wanna call it.

All I wanna say is, do you think you're worth $5,800.00. It's a simply yes or no.
[post="79859"][/post]​
to answer your question... " No i'm not worth $5,800."

Are you worth $5,800?
:blink:

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
YM_GURL

I'm not worth $5,800.00, shoot if you really want the numbers.

Let's see.

4 years of $11,000= $44,000- BA in Social Science & History, Minor in Asian
2 years of $15,000= $30,000 - MA in English

5 years of living on my own= $20,000

$385,000 house

$23,000 car

see what else do i need to calculate. Umm i'll let you guys do the math.

I'm just simply saving, we was woman shouldn't look down on our traditional, but at the same time, not like our traditionals consume our independance.

Maybe because my parents aren't the typical Hmong/Chinese family. Even since I was in 7th grade they let me do whatever I want since i was working and going to school. yeah i was working my ass off already in 7th grade, i was a waiter a my uncle's restaurant. so i can't say that much for other girls. So my parents are cool.

They don't believe in this rule, and they won't be obeying either.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
nkaujhmooblauj said:
parents who let their children start doing anything they want....  they don't know what they are up for....
[post="80025"][/post]​
there are parents who just don't care what their kids do or what happens to them...those are the self-centered parents...who cares about no one but themselves...and shouldn't be parents in the first parents

then there are parents who trust their kids completely...they know they've raised their kids to know right from wrong...and they know that by letting their kids have some freedom is the best thing...loving someone and caring for someone doesn't mean you smother/control them...you give them freedom and trust that they know what they're doing...that they know what's best for themselves...and if they make mistakes along the way...the parents are right there to help them pick themselves back you...in order for someone to learn from their mistakes...they have to make that mistake all on their own...i like to think of it as reverse psychology...give someone freedom and they'll take the path you want them to take...smother/control someone and they'll just do the opposite...now, that doesn't mean every kid who has freedom is gonna turn out to be a goody two shoes...the kid also has to have some self discipline, self respect, self confidence, and etc etc...i guess the bottom line is...you have to be a good parent and know what's best for your kid...if it's freedom...then give them freedom...if it's laying down the rules...then lay down the rules but let them make their own decisions and mistakes if they have to...just let them know that you'll be there to support no matter what

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Chor_Moua said:
YM_GURL

Let's see.

$385,000 house

$23,000 car

I'm just simply saving, we was woman shouldn't look down on our traditional, but at the same time, not like our traditionals consume our independance.

Maybe because my parents aren't the typical Hmong/Chinese family. Even since I was in 7th grade they let me do whatever I want since i was working and going to school. yeah i was working my ass off already in 7th grade, i was a waiter a my uncle's restaurant. so i can't say that much for other girls. So my parents are cool.

[post="80023"][/post]​

HAHAHA.. YOU'RE FUNNY!

anyways, your parents are probably americanized than? right?
if they don't obey this law... but its true.. you, as the girl getting
your BA.. $5,800.. is not worth it... gonna be 30,000 or something..hahaha... u can buy a car already.. hehehe.......... :p

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
YM_gurl

yeah it's true my parents are pretty much americanized, which is funny cause i always thought they weren't, but if you look at it now, they are.

yeah about getting my BA, i did it in 2 1/2 years too, so i mean yeah that is a great accomplishment for someone like me, especially a girl, you know. I was only 20 when i got my degree, so it was good, i'm 22 right now and i'm graduating this december with my MA, so that $5,800 doesn't even equal one quarter worth of tuition for me.

yeah with $30,000 you could buy a car, which i did already for myself, i got it as my 22nd b-day gift to myself.

in the end, it's gonna be my parents who has the last say, so technically i don't do much, but they know what my capabilities are and they know that $5,800 ain't gonna cover it for me.

oh well.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
well.. good luck to you and your marriage... whenever you get there...

some people who are very successful like you... they still screw up in relationships, whether it be a normal relationship or marriage... and sometimes... it may not be your fault...

some people are smart academically... but some.. when it comes to relationships... they are just lost....

agirl

sarNie Egg
Chor_Moua said:
YM_GURL

Let's see.

$385,000 house

$23,000 car

[post="80023"][/post]​
Great for you! We need more girls to think about their futures and not about marriage at a young age. I think your a great role model for the younger girls in the Hmong community. But this post to me seems like your the one selling yourself.

"Um...no offense to anyone, but I just can't stand it when people brag...(ceda_lee)."

I second that!

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
ehhehe... sometimes.. it becomes too much information to people.. it does sort of sound like she was selling herself...

maybe you feel good about yourself... thinking you are worth that much.. but learn to keep those things between you and your family sometimes....

parents sometimes don't keep their words...because they can still change their mind... and its something you don't have control over....

yeah... yeah.. yeah... your parents let you do anything you wanted when you were young... good for you... it can all still change...

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
It's almost as if you're putting yourself out there to see who can bid the highest price...gosh, this sounds mean but it's just a thought...

I especially can't stand it when parents brag about their children...I'll be like, "SHUT THE F*UCK UP!!!" I sympathize and find it funny at the same time when some mothers brag about how innocent their daughters are...then you see them at the clubs dressed hella skanky and dance like sluts...oh and they let guys rub on them all over...haha...I mean, do these mothers really know their daughters??? I have never even thought about doing drugs and my mom thinks I'm bad...LOL...typical hmong parents...they love to compare their children!!!

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
yup. that's true.. its alwaise the innocent ones..

the "good" ones are considered bad

and the "bad" ones are considered good and innocent

innocent my ass.... hehehhe...

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
whoa, does it sound like i'm bragging, i thought i would just wanna share my accomplishment since i seriously think i've done alot for being a hmong girl, but i guess some people rather see themselves better off than wishing the best for others.

oh well, braggin or not, i'm proud of myself so far so it's all good.

i could say, since i grew up white washed, i can't really relate to you guys that much, it's cool, never really knew alot of hmong girls who didn't have a problems accepting my differences.

it's like what my daddy say, other's don't want to see you succeed, but do your best and in the end, they will regret the things they say.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
Chor_Moua said:
whoa, does it sound like i'm bragging, i thought i would just wanna share my accomplishment since i seriously think i've done alot for being a hmong girl, but i guess some people rather see themselves better off than wishing the best for others.

i could say, since i grew up white washed, i can't really relate to you guys that much, it's cool, never really knew alot of hmong girls who didn't have a problems accepting my differences.

it's like what my daddy say, other's don't want to see you succeed, but do your best and in the end, they will regret the things they say.
[post="81271"][/post]​
i'm with you chor...i'm considered as "white washed" too...i know my hmong culture/tradition... and blah blah blah...but i can honestly say...even though i respect it...i HATE it...being a hmong woman...people automatically expects you to be submissive and have a lower status than men...they can't get it through their thick heads that this is the 21st century...not only that...but this is AMERICA...land of the free...women have the same rights as men...and being a hmong woman...if you have the degree and education and status...THEN FLAUNT IT!!!!...those who understand will applaud you and support you...those who are jealous will demean it

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Chor_Moua said:

[post="81271"][/post]​
I am proud of you and all your accomplishments cause that's exactly where I'm heading too...and I'm sure many others in here are proud too cause we definitely need more hmong girls like you... girls that can see surpass marriage and actually really think about what they're capable of doing...and not always depending on their husbands to bring home the dough...it's totally understandable where you're coming from...it's just that some of us don't take it too well...c'mon, people can't see themselves better off if you're throwing all your accomplishments at once like that...

cecilia

Staff member
hehe..reading all 4 pages of comment..i can relate to majority of it..

totally agree with the whole thing that a girl is priceless...
but yet..the money outta be the parents' choice...let them be the judge..let them call out the price..*this is a tradtional thing..generation after generation...it's not like your parent selling you off..like most of you guys in here said..it's a last request to reassurance that you'll be safe and sound when your'e not living with your parent..and to show that they care..and value your presence..and one thing..to make sure that your husband's side of family respect you or make them respect your parents' side of family..*..

anyway..about the value..totally on with that..if the guy really love you..and want you..MONEY shouldn't be an issua...

ppl these day marry TOO young..some dont' even worth the value..*no offense*..and some surely worth more than what ppl put them in....this law surely pissed ppl of..i know it pisses me off..:lol:..

anyway..go on with the outside marriage..my aunt marry a white guy..the guy follow and value the hmong custome and pay for everything..the wedding+the dowry..:)..

anyway..i find the law very stupid..some old ppl just dont' know what the younger generation think of this issue..hopefully...in future..younger generation can influence this stpid ''so call'' law..

chor..i'm proud of you..you surely are very independent..
my mom said that I'M TOO INDEPENDENT..that sometime..it scare the heck out of her if i ever marry.. :lmao: *dont' worry..i think alot of us girl are already white washed..since we're here..we're too americanize...just dont' forget about some of your tradition..my hmong ideal.-->keep just the ''GOOD ONE''.. :lmao: *

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
ceda_lee,
i totally get what you're saying, it's somethings hard to see other accomplish so much, when some are still struggling, but for me, i use it an a motive for me to work even harder.
if they could it, i could too.