Hmongs New law

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
HMONG'S NEW LAW

Somebody has made a law to us Hmong people that when a hmong girl gets married. She is to cost $5,800.. Is this fair to the hmong community? why or why not? What is your opinion?

Reason: Why girls should be $5,800?
~ To families that can't not afford to pay...
Why $5,800?
~ Not too cheap.. not too expensive..

What do our parents think? Do they agree?
~ For right now, most parents do not agree to the law.. Some parents feel they are giving their daughter for cheap..

My Opinion: I personally think this law is stupid. No-one ever did asked if the whole hmong community agree to this law..or not? Just because a couple people agree to this law. They're going to expect everyone to follow by it..WTF!! is this? I guess girls are like some shit at the store.. if they see us like that.. then hey! "Prices do go up!"

This law is good in a way & bad in way because no-one agrees to it.. bUT to whoever made this law is re-tarded.. :angry:

beamie

sarNie Hatchling
OMFG!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!???!!!??

this is F$*(%*# stuipd!!! that's just like selling your daughter away cause you WANT money!!! that's so selfish!!! my cousin got married but her parents gave her away for free...it was only because she's a good daughter and they felt like she was priceless....you know?? having your daughter be WORTH MONEY isn't fair to her...it would make me feel like i'm a f*&()%#* whore getting sold around...geesh...such a STUPID law to make.....hope it doesn't get passed.....

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
i don't think it's bad to ask for the money. i don't know about some parents, but my parents would only ask for the money because they want to make sure that whoever i marriy to would treat me well, instead of some free stuff they got; they want when they want and when they don't want they can throw it away, because it was free. people are like that. think about it, if you got something for free, would you cherish it and keep it, take good care of it, etc. i used to question my mom why they want the money, and that's what she told me.

kry*star

sarNie Adult
my god! who the hell is responsible for this??? it's so stupid! the parents have the right to say the price becasue they are the ones that LOVES their daughters and raised their daughters. it is only right for them to come up with a price to make sure that the other side will really take care of her and make sure that she is treated like a human being. it's not fair...

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
I don't think that information is really accurate. From what I've read (I think it was somewhere in Hmong Today), the maximum price for a dowry is $5000, meaning the bride's family cannot demand more. It has been a custom in the Hmong culture for the groom's side to pay for the bride, so I guess I don't really oppose it.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Shit...this just happened to my friend on her wedding...her parents wanted 7000, but her bf's family refused to pay that price and they used the law to argued against my friend's family...it was a very sad wedding!!!

One thing about being Hmong is that we truely value our culture and tradition, whether we like it or not...if you're hmong and you have sons...you know what to expect!!! It's not as bad as it is in Laos and Thailand, cause here in America, the sons can contribute!!! They can help their parents...

This law is pathetic!!! I'm sorry but I really have to criticize those responsible for making this law official...if this is a way to start a Hmong government sort of thing...then it is ridiculous!!!

Mae

sarNie Adult
hahaha....when i get married, i'm gonna be $10,000....cuz of my college degree and schooling when i'm done..and good reputation good girl.....---hehehe...jk....jk....

But in all honesty, some girls should definitely be worth more than 5,000 for being good girls...meaning they listen to thier parents, know how to cook and respect the elders, etc, still has their virginity, etc.....some of those gangster poj laib girls who never listen, always drinking and partying, always out, etc. are the ones that shouldn't be worth anything, nonetheless only 5000...yes..i'm harsh, but..oh well...

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
whoever came up with "bride price" is an IDIOT!!!...and i'm not just talking about the hmong tradition but all asian traditions...women are also human beings...they're not a piece of property that can be bought and paid for...it doesn't matter that this has been tradition for so long...i personally think this should be thrown out...screw tradition...

LidoLynn

ThE GrEaT gReAt LyNn!!
guess so......cause hea in nc gurls cost only 5,000 even and no more or less.....so if ya cost 5,800....thats pretty luckey...:)

Mae

sarNie Adult
anti-hmong said:
whoever came up with "bride price" is an IDIOT!!!...and i'm not just talking about the hmong tradition but all asian traditions...women are also human beings...they're not a piece of property that can be bought and paid for...it doesn't matter that this has been tradition for so long...i personally think this should be thrown out...screw tradition...
[post="78514"][/post]​
You want to screw tradition anti-hmong? Hmm, that's if you're parents are willing to screw tradition? I wonder.....so what do they thnk about this?

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
anti-hmong said:
[post="78514"][/post]​
Oh that's fine...your parents must be ashamed of raising you anyway...so I guess your parents could just give you for free!!!

I don't care how anyone sees it...to me, it's kinda like a promise or giving them your words...that you will love and respect their daughter...so if anything should happen...the girl's family can defend her...I know there are some parents out there that just want to sell their daughter to whomever...see those parents, people can talk shit about and I can careless...BUT most parents do love their daughters...they just don't want to give their daughters to any family...especially a family that would not be able to take care of their daughter...

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Mae said:
hahaha....when i get married, i'm gonna be $10,000....cuz of my college degree and schooling when i'm done..and good reputation good girl.....---hehehe...jk....jk....

But in all honesty, some girls should definitely be worth more than 5,000 for being good girls...meaning they listen to thier parents, know how to cook and respect the elders, etc, still has their virginity, etc.....some of those gangster poj laib girls who never listen, always drinking and partying, always out, etc. are the ones that shouldn't be worth anything, nonetheless only 5000...yes..i'm harsh, but..oh well...
[post="78502"][/post]​
I couldn't agree more!!!

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Oh and if your "future husband" loves you...or claims that he loves you...then he should have no problem with the price!!! I know this contradicts with "love doesn't cost a thing"...but c'mon...snap back to reality!!!

biava

sarNie Hatchling
that's gay they are treating us like we are not evern human

1-lUv3-y0u

Sticky Rice
WTF thats F-ed up what do they think us hmong girls are shiet at some store if you like it then take it and when it 's all worn out and ulgy just throw it awya like we are trash that's not fair to us hmong girls they should at least have a vote or something to see if the hmong people agree to this cus I DONT >_<

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
$5,800 is the "MAX" of a girl.. yes i know this law is dumb!!! something about the hmong community in Fresno or something sign this one paper & pass this law.. but the heck! no one goes by it... & why should we go by it... ? we did not come out from their hole.. shit!!! and like kry*star said.. our parents have the right to say the price.. not some stupid people out there... UGh!!!!

macli

sarNie Hatchling
I said one thing it's good and it's bad. Old traditiions is still alive, it's been tradition for the male party to pay for his bride so therefore I don't feel like it's too much, however i do fell sorry for those who will have to borrow to pay for the bride then later work to pay it off. The good this is to not have families demand such high price for their daughters. I've seen a family who demanded such high price for their daughter, who isn't worth it...still 5800 was still to high for her.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
first of all... nobody can enforce this "law".. because it's NOT a law... the stupid hmong community representatives of the 18 last names did not go thru hella paperwork and use all their savings from their welfare to pass this so called "law"...

this isn't going to make the hmong community a better place.. because to keep a hmong community running.. you have to have future generations... and if ppl just argue about this damn shit at all the weddings... nobody is going to get married.. so there is not going to be anymore hmong people... and that's the perfect way to lose the hmong tradition of dowry... because then the couple will drag their asses down and get a marriage license... and there you have it... a newlywed... there's no need for $5000 anymore.... because they can easily get a marriage license... that's not going to cost hella....

and about the cost of a girl.... i think that no matter how much you pay.... or have to pay.. its never enough.... either a man or woman... a person... a human being is priceless.. you can't put a price on a person.... because its not right.... we had a big ass war about it... hello??? just because it was the blacks and whites... but still.... of course... its hmong tradition and all... but we are in america and stuff do change...

the $5,800 max thinging...

$5000 for the girl
$800 for the cost of food for the ceremony

that's so fawked up... $5800 does not pay off for the time that a girl's parents had to raise their child... diapers (like $10 for only a little pack, $4.00 each in laos), clothes(kids do grow pretty fast), formula (babies need this,don't bring up breast milk please?), education... schooling... mother fuckers! that's hella shiet...

and they try to have a law of $5800??? that's dumb....

not everyone will follow this.... and if a guy knows his family is financially unstable.. he shouldn't bother... he should go to school and get financial aid or something... which is sort of hard to get these days... but yeah... it doesn't hurt to try a little....

my bf said that the easiest and cheapest wedding rite now is a gangster wedding... because if the parents don't make a price on it... then the kids are just going to run off... and the parents aint going to get anything... which i find funnie... but still.... i think a person is priceless....

so.... to all the people out there... money

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
Mae said:
You want to screw tradition anti-hmong? Hmm, that's if you're parents are willing to screw tradition? I wonder.....so what do they thnk about this?
[post="78541"][/post]​
ehhhhh...who cares???...if you wanna be a piece of property that's your choice...me?...i'm no one's property...and i'm not about to be treated as one...having a bride price is just another way of putting women down...you're entitled to your opinion...i'm entitled to mine...let's just keep it that way

and ceda...i could care less what my parents think...to be honest...i'm the one who's ashamed to be their daughter...you don't know me or my parents...so before you start mouthing off to me...actually know what you're talking about first...and since you don't know me or anything...i would advise you to keep your mouth shut about my life...because what pisses me off the most is ignorant ppl who judge people...so, before i get really piss off...i'm gonna stop here