Hmong Movie Clichés

ayang874

sarNie Hatchling
What are some must-haves in most Hmong movies? Let's list some, maybe producers/directors/writers will see these and try not to put these redundant and annoying things in their movies anymore. Not likely but just for fun.

I'll start it off,

-There's always a handicap/retarded person that does dumb things that are exaggerated and they say the most inappropriate things e.g. Npawg Tooj.
-For Hmong comedies, there's always those annoying sound effects that are suppose to be funny but aren't because they're overused.
-Along the same lines - during fight scenes, they put in sounds that don't match and are repeated.
-The in-laws always hate their vauv/nyab or daughter/son's boyfriend/girlfriend and verbally abuse them as much as possible.
-The main family only has one or two kids, eventhough most Hmong families have 6+ kids.
-Actors wear a much of white powder makeup.
-In war movies, the Hmong knife always saves the day and wins against the enemies' rifles.
-When courting, the main couple always sweet talk each other to the point of annoyance.
-The soundtrack is usually from some other source like a video game or a 80's American hit.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
You got most of them down. I think the reason for 1-2 children in one family (in a movie) is because took much kids mean they have to focus on all of them or make an excuse where the others went. I do wish people will come out with their own music like Xaab Thoj (but then you notice his songs are beginning to sound similar).

Here's my list, this is what I can think of right now...

- Love at first sight (Don’t know how to unfold a love story so skip to the climax).
- I wanted you so bad I came to marry/kidnap you but at the end I want a niam yau.
- Physically abuse is comedy (serious know when to stop where the abuse ends up too violent, it’s not funny when it’s happening to you).
- The seed never runs far from the root. If a parent is bad then this applies to them, but if the parent is nice it never does.
- Someone always have to step on poop or something disgusting.
- Your rich I’m poor we can’t be together (parent separates kids).
- Parents saves their daughter for a rich Hmong Mekas. For sale for Hmong Thai/Hmong Nplog but the price is expensive (which the other side can never come up with).
- The son always believe what his parents tells him.
- A city man makes a country girl pregnant .
- A girl spirit snatches someone else husband who has talent (Human Husband, why can't they snatch a guy with talent who's single?).