Hmong legend heroes of all the "Nuj(s)"

Sherrie

sarNie Adult
This is just for fun because I just watched Nuj Nplhaib 1,000 mile song and laugh everytime I watched it. I was wondering if anyone's willing to share the story of all the Nuj(s) like for example, the story of Nuj Nplhaib is from Ntxawm thiab Tsov. Somehow I thought it would be fun if we all share what we know about each of them. And is there anymore Nuj(s) other than the listed.

Nuj Sis Loob
Nuj Yob
Nuj Toog
Nuj Nplhaib

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I should had listen more closely to my grandparents and parents about these folklore. When their free I'll ask them about it, these names I'm so familiar with but I heard so much folklore I'm not sure which one goes to which hero.

Sherrie

sarNie Adult
You should ask them and write it up here. I know I always get confuse about those Nuj(s) so that's why I made this topic so pple can share what they know about each of these. I guess the most populest is Nuj Nplhaib.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Nuj Nplhaib you can't mistake him for the others, I believe he's the only one associated with chasing after Yer for a tiger.

I know there's one of the Nuj, who's very good at tsua qeej, so a poj ntxoog came to fetch him as a husband.

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
From Koobmeej in "Qeej, It's what we do" group on FaceBook

"In the qeej history there has been 4 really great men who has made a certain contribution to the qeej world. They all have the name starting with the name Nuj. Some of them have their story in "ib zaj qeej" (I think all of them but am not sure of this)

The first of these great men is "Nuj Xees"( Pronounced: Nue Seng) He was the one to get the songs of the qeej from "Zaj laug teb" (the land of the dragon). Its a common belief that most of the qeej "zaj"(songs) comes from the Dragons. Nuj Xees was the first to get the songs of the qeej in the second generation of people.

After Nuj Xees came "Nuj sis Loob"(Nue she Long). Nuj sis loob was the one who learned from Nuj xees. He was probabilly the best of all in that when he blew the qeej it was very sad. animals such as birds and ants would come and listen to him play the qeej. " taum nuj sis looj tshuab qeej nws tshuab tau kho kho siab heev. me kab me noog los yeej tuaj hmloog nws tshuab qeej.

After Nuj sis Loob came Nuj Yob ( pronounced : Nue Yall just subtract the "ll")
who was an orphan boy. Some has said that it was because of Nuj Yob's that we now have the songs for the Funeral practice.

and then there is Nuj Nplhaib (pronounced : Nue Ply) who most people knows about. He is also one of the best at playing the qeej. tshuab tau kho kho siab thiab. He have a story of chasing his wife who was taken by a tiger. after getting her back his family had thought that he died on his journey. he returned on the day they "Tso plig." (release the soul) but he change so much that no one knew it was him. He then took a qeej and blew a song and after that people knew that he wasn't dead. that he was Nuj Nplhiab."

I got interested in an idea movie and look up Qeej history...LOLXD

Sherrie

sarNie Adult
wow thanks for the info zoua. No wonder they're all Nuj(s) because they all know the qeej and were heroes too. very interesting.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Some Nuj's weren't just heros, sometimes their wives are the hero instead.

However the majority of them were messengers between the Human and Spiritual world, so these type of people are view as very valuable and respectful people.

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Very interesting folklore. I really wonder why it is men only who can play the qeej, is that right?