Hmong Clan Ways...

penguin101

sarNie Egg
I hang out with a lot of Lee people, their clan name is Xayaxang (not sure how to spell it) anywaise... When I go and chill wid them I notice that their spoon is never faced up... Its alwaise faced down... Also they eat alot from the duck spoon (say that in hmong)... lol... Is there a reason to why they always have their spoon faced down? Everytime they eat, after they finish eating, and when they are eating... If the spoon isnt in their hand; then its always placed in the plate face down?
Yeah, I got so used to that, when I go home and visit my family in Minnesota I do that. My parents ask me why, and I tell them I dont know. I get used to doing it too... My parents dont care, they just wonder why I keep doing it. I dont think our clan do anything like that... lol... We eat, then we eat... haha... Thou my family (that i know) dont like to eat out of the same bowls and etc... When we eat, we always put food in our plate then eat... Not just have rice in your plate and everyone eat from the middle... lol...

I also know that some Vang clans, some cant eat BBshoots wid pepper... And I also have a Vang cousin, who if married cant go into their in-laws bedroom... She said it kinds S*cks because her family is HUGE and when they need to use the in-laws bathroom she has to wait for the family bathroom and no one is using the parent's bathroom... I always joked with her to get a portable poddy... lol... :lol:

4y0u1lL

sarNie Egg
I don't think it has to do with clans at all. It varies from family to family. My aunt's she doesn't like to eat from the same bowl, so she would have a big bowl of whatever soup meal and have a scooper, by their plates are smaller bowls. My friends eats with chopstick and they are not even Chinese or Viet. They just like to eat with chopsticks.

Oh I heard that this one certain clan can't eat sticky rice with papaya salad. Is that true?

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
it varies from clan to clan...
depending on what it is..
some clans can't eat certain foods and fruits
and some can't do certain chores..
and some have dining restrictions..

pyang

sarNie Egg
i think it depends more on the family. my family don't do any of that, we just eat. but in the yang clan the girls can't eat the liver or was it lung of the chicken or was it pig? lol. not sure which is which. something to so with saving it for the boys.

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
^ lol PYang..it's not the girls...its only the Yang guys...it's pig's liver or heart...

there are many stories behind each of these superstitions...

for Vangs some of them can't eat fruit/other sour things w/ rice
also for Vangs...yes the daughter in law cannot be in the parent in law's bedroom

some Thaos..which i am..the guys cannot married Vue girls...

karolinav89

sarNie Egg
sum vang people's the daughter in law(nyab) they could go in the grnadparenst room but they could not touch on step and sit on the bed...the father in law could not touch or sit on the daughter in law bed...bu the mother in law could ...hmoob vaj cias nxtab...sum thing like that...it was a word of curse on sum vang people dats wat my dad told us wen my brother got married..

cnv;

sarNie Egg
The matter with the spoon being faced down has to mean something. My mom likes it that way too. I tried asking her once, and she just says, just do it. So, yes, its still a mystery to me as well. ^_^

tavang

sarNie Juvenile
^ lol PYang..it's not the girls...its only the Yang guys...it's pig's liver or heart...

there are many stories behind each of these superstitions...

for Vangs some of them can't eat fruit/other sour things w/ rice
also for Vangs...yes the daughter in law cannot be in the parent in law's bedroom

some Thaos..which i am..the guys cannot married Vue girls...

i'm a vang and i know for sure that the daughter-in-law can go to the in-laws room but they can't sit/touch on the bed. and about the whole fruits with sour things, i've never heard of that before. it doesn't matter how we eat or eat it with.

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
^ yeah w/ the Vang i know it's no touchy touchy w/ the bed...
but some ppl juz say no to the bedroom all together...

I'm a Thao...so i might be off on tat one..but tat's wat i've heard
though my mom is a Vang

hmm about the Vaj noj tsis tau txiv qaub rog mob tat one doesn't seem
to be very strict...cuz my mom isn't superstitious about tat particular one

cUte.dOrk

sarNie Egg
umm I am a Vang and my family have similar restrictions too..xD

1. the father in law cannot go into the daughter in law's room and vise versa..xD
-my parents said that there was this one story where the father-in-law and daughter-in-law had an affair together and that was when they made this restriction... :huh:

2. we cannot eat any kinds of fruits with food...
- this really confuses me, because we eat watermelon with food, but not other fruits. I would ask my mom why we can eat watermelon with food, but not other fruits :huh: then she just tells me to stop being so curious...>.<

3. ummmm i'm not sure about this one, but our cousins' and uncles' wife cannot eat on the same side of the table with other 'guy' cousins and uncles or something like that...there is something like this in my family, but it's really hard to explain..

4. umm at the end of the year we have to do this traditional 'new year' thing where we can't use money for 3 days and fold paper money boats for the ancestors (grandma and grandpa). there is a rooster that would be given to the 'ancestors' and after the 3 days the guys of the household have to eat the rooster...meaning the women can't eat the rooster at all!

5. my mom was telling me and my sisters that we can't marry 'Fang' guys becasue we are like brothers and sisters..

this is all that i could think of, if i remember or find our more things then i'll add..xD

Blackheart

sarNie Egg
Hmong people are so selfish that is why we're all curse. I hope no one is offended by this.

mokka

sarNie Adult
umm I am a Vang and my family have similar restrictions too..xD

we cannot eat any kinds of fruits with food...
- this really confuses me, because we eat watermelon with food, but not other fruits. I would ask my mom why we can eat watermelon with food, but not other fruits :huh: then she just tells me to stop being so curious...>.<
Referring to this, I'm a vang too, and I asked my mom.. .she told me that long long time ago, while eating lunch/dinner or whatsoever, there is this one guy who wanted to eat a fruit so he went and climbed a tree to get the fruit, but he fell down and choked on the fruit and die. After that, they just curse it...

I don't know if it's true or not... but this is what my mom told me.

max

sarNie Elites
This is so interesting, yet kind of awkward.

My family is Hmoob Xyooj. I am not too sure if this is common or if it is our clan name (I need to ask my parents), but it is X Toyed Ye Xiong/Xiong Toyed Ye/Xiong Toyed... I have seen it written in different ways.

Out of all of my sibblings, my parents only gave that name to two of my brothers, which was so random. LOL.

penguin101

sarNie Egg
Since I started this... lol... WOW! Thanks! Well I am a Moua and my family lives in Minnesota... haha. I dont think we have any restriction watsoever... Though my sister in law is a VANG and when she married my brother my parents did ask wat kind of Vang clan she was from. I forgot... But yeah my bro and her married happily with 2 kids now..
I have heard of the Yang boys who cant eat the lung or heart. My uncle accidently ate one and ended up choking. The family who cooked that meal didnt know so they accidently cooked that part along wid the food.

ONe thing I hate most... is when you talk to a guy and ppl ask what clan of Moua you are from. I seem to hate that ppls always see you in that light. I do want to marry into a good clan in the future and have kids and I want in the future that my kids do marry into good family clans but why is clan history so important. Ppls always see you in that light. I do love my clan and all the respect and I am proud to be a MOUA but the oldies kinda drive me nuts. they always say I am from a good clan and they know my dad. Do they really KNOW MY DAD... haha... bugs me when they always say that... lol....

my friend told me that why they eat with their spoon face down is because if you have it face up your feeding the dead ppl too... ??? :huh: he always BS with me so I dunno... Probly said that to shut me up. But when I serve him food and he sees that the spoon is face up he wont accept my plate of rice... oddly that is...

penguin101

sarNie Egg
Is it wrong to get annoyed when ppl always acknowledge your clan? I mean I do appreciate it, but after awhile it bugs me... I am not praising my clan either... I do have respect for all the clans but must it be that important...
Prolby I am not thinking much that is why I am blabbering now. Probly when I get married and my kids get married I probly be up in their face too about clan history... lol... Okae I shut up now... haha... =D

me094

sarNie Egg
i'm a vang and i know for sure that the daughter-in-law can go to the in-laws room but they can't sit/touch on the bed. and about the whole fruits with sour things, i've never heard of that before. it doesn't matter how we eat or eat it with.
Things like this differs from clan to clan. Anyone can have the same last name but they can come from different clans. I'm a Vang but I am Hmong Vang Mong Pheng.

It's true about the whole daughter-in-law thing but it's a little more than that. In our Vang clan the daughter-in-law can't enter any room that is occupied by a male in the family. You can enter the parent-in-law's room if there is father in the family.

The whole fruit and rice thing is also quite true, but my mom has been kind of lenient on it for the girls... the boys, it's a NO-NO. It's not fruit and rice that can't be eaten together, but it's sour fruits and rice can't be eaten together nor be on the same table as your food plate... So when we eat in the living room and there's a fruit plate, we put the fruits on the ground. This is why we can eat watermelon on the same plate as our rice.

In the case of marriage... that's really depends on the clan... Because not all Xiongs are not allowed to marry Vue... I know quite a few Xiong families that marry Vue and they don't have the same restrictions. Just depends on the family clan. We were making fun of my friend about this issue. She's a Thao and she's dating a Lee, there's nothing wrong on her side but her boyfriend is another case. This was the reason why it took them so long to get together, His Lee clan are not allowed to marry Thaos because a long time ago there was a couple who married and the daughter-in-law mistreated the mother-in-law very badly. Before the mother died she cursed the marriage between the two last names. It's quite hard to start a relationship if you know there's a curse on it.

My mom was telling me about another one the other day about two clans, which was that if they were to marry two things would happen. Either the couple become rich and have no children or the couple has many children and be poor. Very harsh curses these old folks have created.... hehehe.

Oh... Vangs can't marry Fang cuz it's the same last name really... just like Hues and Her... etc...

There's so many other things that are crazy... but those are the only things in my mind right now. Maybe later.