For Green Mong...

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
I guess i have to repeated again...with short word only. that's more attractive.

I'm GREEN.

HMONG (hmoob): is what white hmong pronounce it.

MONG (moob): is what our green hmong pronounce it.

Get it right people. So don't misunderstand. laterz

mly

sarNie Hatchling
Thanks for answering... ;)

If you listen to a Green Mong speak, when they say Hmoob, they pronounce it Moob, no "h." For many years, most Green Mong scholar(s) were and still not happy being refer as Hmong. They want to be acknowledge as Mong, another Hmong group. It as been going on since we step foot on American soil. Hmong used to be known as Mung to the white men, until Dr. Yang Dao clearify to them that we are called Hmong. So as a respect to my hubby and the Green Mong, I made sure I wrote Hmong as it is to them, Mong.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult

If you listen to a Green Mong speak, when they say Hmoob, they pronounce it Moob, no "h." For many years, most Green Mong scholar(s) were and still not happy being refer as Hmong. They want to be acknowledge as Mong, another Hmong group. It as been going on since we step foot on American soil. Hmong used to be known as Mung to the white men, until Dr. Yang Dao clearify to them that we are called Hmong. So as a respect to my hubby and the Green Mong, I made sure I wrote Hmong as it is to them, Mong.
uhhhh. wait..how can u say hmoob and say the "H"???? H's are silent...lol

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult

green or white..
the "h" has always been silent. lol.

cecilia

Staff member
From what I've seen, Green Hmong people have usually written Hmong as Mong....
From what i heard/told by my mom and dad, white hmong have 'H' in there. making ''HMOOB''
as for green/blue hmong, we have 'no h' in there, so it's just 'MOOB'.

back to topic, i didn't find it offensive and i'm Hmong GREEN 100%.
my family speaks only hmong green as my parent are like super strict.
anyway, i find it CUTE .. everyone in my family find it cute.

if some take it offensive, i don't' know then.
i still find it's a very educated song for those that get confuse at time b/c of the language barrier between white/green :lol:

due, your sources are off -- it was not DR. YANG DAO, it was DR. PAO ZE who declared it in Washington DC.

iamhmong

sarNie Egg
i think its cute and educational. I don't even know some Hmong Green words, until i heard the song. I don't think it's offensive. It's just a song. I mean come on, you heard GREEN BUS (say it in hmong) sing crazy songs about both young and old people and that doesn't seem to be a problem anyone. -_-

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
its not offense...she's juss asking xab what those stuff ment..its like a learning ting...how can it be offense to anyone..??..

cecilia

Staff member
^not to mention, xab also tas lais her too .. like, leej twg tug ntxhais, ua cag yuav ruag ruag, quas dlab quas ruag tuag, tsis pub lwm tug ruag ne, nkauj moob :loool: -- the angry one should be the white hmong :p

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
^not to mention, xab also tas lais her too .. like, leej twg tug ntxhais, ua cag yuav ruag ruag, quas dlab quas ruag tuag, tsis pub lwm tug ruag ne, nkauj moob :loool: -- the angry one should be the white hmong :p
lols.. i dont understand green so im not angry.. && even if i do.. its just a song.. hahaaa :lol:

cecilia

Staff member
^green hmong sound just like white hmong, the tone is pronouce slightly different, that's all.
basically, when xab was like, this morning, i ate so little, then txhiab was like, who ask you to eat poop.
xab turn around and said, who's daughter are you, why so stupid, why can't you let other be stupid too, miss. :loool:

so it was xab that taslais her and her taslais-ing him .. so in the end, it's 50/50 .. but who's harsher than who? .. i would say, xab to her :loool:

i'm not angry either way b/c it was an educated song, view differently in other's perspective :p

mly

sarNie Hatchling
uhhhh. wait..how can u say hmoob and say the "H"???? H's are silent...lol
when we say hmoob, air comes out from our nose. but moob in moob leeg does not have air coming out from the nose. so it will sound like when you say mom.

mly

sarNie Hatchling
...due, your sources are off -- it was not DR. YANG DAO, it was DR. PAO ZE who declared it in Washington DC.
i read somewhere long time ago that it was dr. yaj dao who told the white men in the earlier years to refer us as Hmong. he also wanted the hmong chinese to call themselves hmong and not miao. reading the wikipedia about the hmong, it was dr. pao ze who probably in the 90s (not sure) wanted the word "mong" to be recognize as a different group of hmong. so if the white men is talking about a green mong, he'll have to use the term mong, and if he's talking about the white hmong, he'll have to use the term hmong. which will be even more confusing to many white men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

Hmong and Mong

When Western authors came in contact with Hmong and Mong people, beginning in the eighteenth-century, they referred to them in writing by ethnonyms assigned by the Chinese (i.e. Miao, or variants). This practice continued into the twentieth century. Even ethnographers studying the Hmong/Mong people in Southeast Asia often referred to them as Meo, a corruption of Miao applied by Thai and Lao people to the Hmong/Mong. Although "Meo" was an official term, it was often used as an insult against Hmong/Mong people and it is considered to be highly derogatory.[6] In the middle of the twentieth century, a concerted effort was made to refer to Hmong/Mong by their own ethnonyms in scholarly literature. By the 1970s, it became standard to refer to the entire ethnic group as "Hmong." This was reinforced during the influx of Hmong/Mong immigrants to the United States after 1975. Research proliferated, much of it being directed toward the American Hmong Der community. Several states with Hmong/Mong populations issued official translations only in the Hmong Der dialect. At the same time, more Mong Leng people voiced concerns that the supposed inclusive term "Hmong" only served to exclude them from the national discourse.

The issue came to a head during the passage of California State Assembly Bill (AB) 78, in the 2003–2004 season.[7] Introduced by Doua Vu and Assembly Member Sarah Reyes, District 31 (Fresno), the bill encouraged changes in secondary education curriculum to include information about the Secret War and the role of Hmong/Mong people in the war. Furthermore, the bill called for the use of oral histories and first hand accounts from Hmong/Mong people who had participated in the war and who were caught up in the aftermath. Originally, the language of the bill mentioned only "Hmong" people, intending to include the entire community. A number of Mong Leng activists, led by Dr. Paoze Thao (Professor of Linguistics and Education at California State University, Monterey Bay), drew attention to the problems associated with omitting "Mong" from the language of the bill. They noted that despite nearly equal numbers of Hmong Der and Mong Leng in the United States, resources are disproportionately directed toward the Hmong Der community. This includes not only scholarly research, but also the translation of materials, potentially including curriculum proposed by the bill.[8] Despite these arguments, "Mong" was not added to the bill. In the version that passed the assembly, "Hmong" was replaced by "Southeast Asians", a more broadly inclusive term.

Dr. Paoze Thao and others feel strongly that "Hmong" can refer only to Hmong Der people and does not include Mong Leng people. He feels that the usage of "Hmong" in reference to both groups perpetuates the marginalization of Mong Leng language and culture. Thus, he advocates the usage of both "Hmong" and "Mong" when referring to the entire ethnic group.[9] Other scholars, including anthropologist Dr. Gary Yia Lee (a Hmong Der person), suggest that "Hmong" has been used for the past 30 years to refer to the entire community and that the inclusion of Mong Leng people is understood.[10] Some argue that such distinctions create unnecessary divisions within the global community and will only confuse non-Hmong/Mong people trying to learn more about Hmong/Mong history and culture.[11]

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
when we say hmoob, air comes out from our nose. but moob in moob leeg does not have air coming out from the nose. so it will sound like when you say mom.

lol..that is ridiculous! lol..im not baggin on u btw.. im jus baggin on the pronunciation of hmong..lol it's so dumb what people argue about these days..the bottom line is that we are all one race!

Quarter

Tell me about it.
this song turned me fob LOL ... i keep listening to it!!! i'm green but SOMEHOW i speak white -_- .. is there a class in madison to learn how to speak green?! i need to get back to my original accent! i think it's hot

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
Hmong: hmoob (with a H sound) air are coming out from nose.
Mong: moob (with NO H sound) NO air are coming out.

This is just to clarify the question. -To the confusion folks.
This the true statement. It's not rude.

cecilia

Staff member
wikipedia is not a liable sources, ppl can go in there and alter them information .. so don't rely on them ..
why i know? == i just do b/c of them LAO VETERAN stuff ...

Hmong are HMOOB. we all are Moob, just the way we pronounce the word. in the end, we're still HMONG.

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
SAD-)

Alot of you speaks HMONGLISH.
Now many of you don't really know the correct word to pronounce the language.

You may need a tutor.

cecilia

Staff member
^easy route, ask your parent to correct you,
my parent correct me all the time when i say something incorrectly.
or kinda, restrain yourself from using ENGLISH when convey w/your parent at home.
or basically, speak HMONG when you're at home .. that's what I do w/my parent :p