External Hard Drives

jeanie

sarNie Adult
I'm looking to get a new external hard drive and was wondering if people had any recommendations or reviews on them? I used to have a Seagate FreeAgent and it died just after 3 months. The 5 year warranty (which was one of the reasons I bought it) is a lot of bull, cause they don't cover practically 99% of the problems. Before that I had a Western Digital Passport that worked ok but it died after awhile too and I hated their tech support but it was ok overall.

So now I'm looking at the Iomega 1TB drive or a Toshiba one cause I think they're sleek looking. Which company is the best? I've read reviews on most of them and they're pretty mixed, some good some bad all around.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Seriously? Odd. Well I have many different brands and it includes WD and Seagate and ive had those for about 2 years and they are still working perfectly fine.

But I toshiba one is pretty good too. I find that transfers are faster from toshiba than my other externals the Iomega is pretty decent too. I guess it really depends on the things you use them for.

Other brands that are pretty good Fujitsu,Maxtor, Calvary

Pure Azn

sarNie Hatchling
hmm thats odd, the harddrives you own happen to "die" after a while from usage. I own a Seagate Freeagent external harddrive n it works great, its been about a year now since i had it and i use it everyday no problems. Its possible that something cud have infected into ur harddrive and caused it to malfunction and possibly even kill the hardrive rendering it from being used. My friend had a Maxtor (from Seagate) he bought it a while ago n used it for a while. Til one day that his harddrive completely stopped working. The LED lighting on the harddrives works and all but it wouldn't load to his computer(the drive folder doesn't load for him to access the drive). More than likely his computer was infected with many trojans n viruses n malware that spreads to everything he loads to the computer. There are certain malware n viruses that can cause external harddrives to malfunction if not scanned n repaired properly before the extent of the damages prevents it from being usable.

From my point-of-view i would say toshibas and seagates are the best but it is up to you

noungning

Heartless
i have 2 seagates free agents also. i've had one for about 1 year if not 2 already and it works great. hmm like said earlier, it's kinda strange how your drives just "die" and they won't cover it under warranty.

i guess i suggest if drives like these aren't working for u maybe convert back to burning on dvds? lol

jeanie

sarNie Adult
Yeah maybe it's bad luck or something. I sent in the Seagate unit back to them and they said the circuit board got fried due to something w/the power supply. They offered to replace it (plus a 70 bucks service fee) but would not recover my lost data w/out charging me a whole lotta money that was ridiculous so I said no thanks.

Western digital was a bit better. It lasted a year or so but then all of a sudden failed to mount. I was browsing through Amazon customer reviews the other day and PC mag and they gave the Toshiba one great reviews so I bought it. Should be coming in a few days so we'll see.

I back up important stuff on dvds just in case too but the 4.38 gigs per just doesn't cut it for me.

sajenna

sarNie Oldmaid
here ( in france) western digital is the best brand. mine has 500gb and it works fine.

noungning

Heartless
Yeah maybe it's bad luck or something. I sent in the Seagate unit back to them and they said the circuit board got fried due to something w/the power supply. They offered to replace it (plus a 70 bucks service fee) but would not recover my lost data w/out charging me a whole lotta money that was ridiculous so I said no thanks.

Western digital was a bit better. It lasted a year or so but then all of a sudden failed to mount. I was browsing through Amazon customer reviews the other day and PC mag and they gave the Toshiba one great reviews so I bought it. Should be coming in a few days so we'll see.

I back up important stuff on dvds just in case too but the 4.38 gigs per just doesn't cut it for me.
ah i see, u wanted to recover your data...

but wth they charge u to replace it when it's under warranty? the hell is up with that. that truly sucks.

darvil

sarNie Adult
you guys should spend some more money and buy external enclosure that allows more then 1 HDs. Then mirror them so that you will still have your data if one of the drive fail. No matter how good the company is, the fact is that you always run the risk of losing data. This is because its mechanical and you just can't trust it. Of course I also learned things the hard way so I'm not doing it again myself. Spend more money and keep your data safe. It really sucks to lose the data.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
im using Maxtor, i think..n i like it..500 gigs, but i only have like 30 gigs left...lol i use it to mostly store music, mvs, and movies

noungning

Heartless
^ wow i'm still working on filling my 320gb one lol...

but i have another 500gb sitting on the floor. i just dl music for now, some programs here and there.

there are really sweet deals going on for internals... so getting an enclosure to close it will make it very nice :D