Dowry System, what do you think?

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
i dont see the dowry system as a bad thing. i agree with what others had wrote. image the many options we have today to do our wedding and things dont cost a penny, therefore i think some parents ask for more money so they could have their daughter wedding as she wants and whatever money is left over are given back to the groom and bride anyway. come to think about it the parents dont get anything. in a ways, it is like the guy giving so much to contribute to the wedding cermony cost.
-->> in a ways, it is like the guy giving so much to contribute to the wedding cermony cost.

THEN LATER SOME MIGHT SAY THAT HE CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS TO HIS WIFE BECAUSE HE PAID FOR HER.
BASTARDS!!!
LOLX

Mae

sarNie Adult
lolz.
you're funny.
i'm not the best cook.. but i can cook i guess..
i won't always go over.. but i'd visit them from time to time
i can kill chickens.. but it's a scary thing to do...
sorry to say.. but i don't know how to make rice in a rice cooker.. i only know how to make steamed rice (the hard way)
ahahha
we don't all have the same characteristics.. but we're all human and we all still have a lot to learn...
i hate it when my mom yaks at me.. "you need to learn this.. when you get married.. you have to do it too..."
goodness.. i think i know...
LoL... I think I'm a pretty good cook.. Can cook kao poon, pho, curry, fawm ko, veggies, zuab chua, etc. And I know how to "cub hmov" the traditional way, except for I refuse to kill chickens.... I'm scared as heck and won't even do it if my life depended on it...

cecilia

Staff member
i can do pretty much everything but sometime, just a bit lazy to do it all .. :p

as far as being abuse, that's a different story as this. Dowry can be view as that but i think if we're in a bad relationship and you take the step accordingly, then no such things will happen plus now aday ppl marry for LOVE - if in the future, you get abuse by your LOVE one then that's something wrong with tit and you need to step up and correct it.

Mov4u

sarNie Egg
Well...kuv xav tias if you think that your parents are good parents-- they loved you, then the dowry is an expression of love. If you don't see your parents' love or think that they didn't love you in any way, then the dowry is just a handful of cash for them to spend. I think that's how I look at it. I know that my parents care and love me, that's why I will never look or see the dowry as a bad thing. The dowry is their way of making sure that I will be well taken care of. I think some people migh talk if your parents just give you away free.

Our Dowry system is for all the hardship parent had gone through rising YOUR ass up guy/girl. But each parent is different.

Those of you who think you're priceless, maybe you are cause you're in debt LOL. Those of you who think you're worth 7k or more maybe you're just worth LOL. If you're the one that cost 10k, you better triple that back to me with 30k. I agreed w/ MMM0403. So girls, don't look at if you're priceless or aren't worth enough. This is only for your OWN GOOD. And beside the money goes towards something good for your family haha, either pay off your parent's debt or help your older/younger brother with their future and you likely to get some of those Dowry money back from your parent to start your new life *if they're nice enough.

***I want you girls to know that you do worth SOMETHING LOL***

Mae

sarNie Adult
Our Dowry system is for all the hardship parent had gone through rising YOUR ass up guy/girl. But each parent is different.

Those of you who think you're priceless, maybe you are cause you're in debt LOL. Those of you who think you're worth 7k or more maybe you're just worth LOL. If you're the one that cost 10k, you better triple that back to me with 30k. I agreed w/ MMM0403. So girls, don't look at if you're priceless or aren't worth enough. This is only for your OWN GOOD. And beside the money goes towards something good for your family haha, either pay off your parent's debt or help your older/younger brother with their future and you likely to get some of those Dowry money back from your parent to start your new life *if they're nice enough.

We're priceless because we're worth more than money can afford! Trust me, I know I'm worth something good, as well as my other sisters who are priceless too! And, I definitely won't settle for anything less than I already do have. For sure, I'd want to marry someone who also has a master's degree and a vision in life. I've worked hard to get to where I am today, thus I want someone who also has ambition and aspirations....

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult

sorry to say..
but it seems to be that you don't know what priceless is.

Mov4u

sarNie Egg

sorry to say..
but it seems to be that you don't know what priceless is.

Thank you NkaujHmongLauj for letting me know. You can say I wasn't thinking what priceless mean haha. I do know what it is. So to clear thing up, I think what I mean to say is "Those of you who think you're worth 7k OR Priceless maybe you are, you're irreplaceable".

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
well actually what you're refering to is simply a bride price; however it is expected that the brides family give her a dowry in things, not money...its called piv cyuam (wrong speelling you get the gist) and its mostly clothes and items and maybe a cd

i used to object the bride price vehemently thinking it treated women like cattle but after my mom explained to me the purpose, i'm going to demand it...not only because its a part of tradition but because it makes sense to me...people are selfish by nature and this explains it...

my mom said the groom pays for the bride because he values her, not because he's buying her..by placing so much money in her, he's expressing his view of her worth..back in the day men had to work long and hard to be able to earn the money a bride would cost...hes really putting alot of himself into it to make her his...by placing a 5000 dollar worth on her, he's going to cherish her and love her more...if he ever wants to stray from the marriage or cheat, he'll remember that he invested a lot of effort into his wife..maybe this doesnt mean love, but it means worth and makes him cautious...its like a gareuntee of love if you will...

maybe it sounds like a little archaic...but like i said, humans value money and time...

angelness

sarNie Egg
well actually what you're refering to is simply a bride price; however it is expected that the brides family give her a dowry in things, not money...its called piv cyuam (wrong speelling you get the gist) and its mostly clothes and items and maybe a cd

i used to object the bride price vehemently thinking it treated women like cattle but after my mom explained to me the purpose, i'm going to demand it...not only because its a part of tradition but because it makes sense to me...people are selfish by nature and this explains it...

my mom said the groom pays for the bride because he values her, not because he's buying her..by placing so much money in her, he's expressing his view of her worth..back in the day men had to work long and hard to be able to earn the money a bride would cost...hes really putting alot of himself into it to make her his...by placing a 5000 dollar worth on her, he's going to cherish her and love her more...if he ever wants to stray from the marriage or cheat, he'll remember that he invested a lot of effort into his wife..maybe this doesnt mean love, but it means worth and makes him cautious...its like a gareuntee of love if you will...

maybe it sounds like a little archaic...but like i said, humans value money and time...

I would love to know that any guy was working hard to earn money to marry me... but don't the guy's parents pay for everything :mellow: All he has to do is say, "mom, dad, I want to get married." Then go beg his parents a few times until they give in, and then the marriage is on.. then it's not even his own money he's worked for... well... anyways... that might not always be the case... but I've seen that happened plenty of time before...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
I would love to know that any guy was working hard to earn money to marry me... but don't the guy's parents pay for everything :mellow: All he has to do is say, "mom, dad, I want to get married." Then go beg his parents a few times until they give in, and then the marriage is on.. then it's not even his own money he's worked for... well... anyways... that might not always be the case... but I've seen that happened plenty of time before...
yep.
sometimes the in-laws are more afraid to lose their daughter-in-law
rather than the low life son.
ahaha

slee00

sarNie Adult
Different people view this differently. Some old fashion people still view this as a way to keep a woman in the relation and others view it as respect. Our culture and tradition is unique yet different.

Here is another view.

There was a young couple who were really in love and so they decided to get marry. The girl's parents sat them both down and ask if that is what they both wanted. When they said it is, the girl's dad said ok and began planning a celebration/reception.... leaving the girl confused....here is what she said.... She asked why her dad didn't ask for a dowry? She asked if she was important in his eyes? ( Kuv txawm tsi muaj nqe li los?)

It is how you see yourself and how you are brought up traditionally.

mai92

sarNie Adult
my daddy tell me to tell u all that who think their not $priceless$ can tell me and i'll tell him to build u a coffin foe u!..

j/k

:)