Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
ok well I was watching a documentary on AETV the show (American Justice) on the American Justice System and how some prison treats their inmates with cruelty and how some criminals who were sentenced to death were cruely executed.. for example John Evans was sentenced to death by the electric chair.

After the first jolt of electricity, sparks and flames erupted from the electrode attached to Evans's leg. The electrode burst from the strap holding it in place and caught on fire. Smoke and sparks also came out from under the hood in the vicinity of Evans's left temple. Two physicians entered the chamber and found a heartbeat. The electrode was reattached to his leg, and another jolt of electricity was applied. This resulted in more smoke and burning flesh. Again the doctors found a heartbeat. Ignoring the pleas of Evans's lawyer, a third jolt of electricity was applied. The execution took 14 minutes and left Evans's body charred and smoldering (credits to http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.ph...=8&did=478)

and some inmates such as Tommy Ortiz who was beaten by prison guards wearing lead filled gloves.. It got me kinda thinking even if though did some bad things did they deserve to be treated that way? I wanted to know the thoughts of others on it.. I think I'm gonna use this for my ethics class essay =]..

Well my personal opinion on this is regardless of the crime I don't think the justice system should respond with cruelty I mean after all we are sending them to prison for their criminal acts yet we do to them what they've done to other people.. there is nothing wrong with punishment, but when you are doing to them what you are punishing them for its kinda wrong... and some of these criminals get released and they may harbor some more resentment towards the government.

I also saw on the documentary the story of Micheal Fay who was found guilty of vandalism in Singapore the government gave him 4 months in prison and a 3,500 fine and 6 slashes on his buttocks (beating with a stick). his attorneys appealed and president Clinton spoke out publicly about it saying he believed it to be cruel and unusual so the Singapore government reduced his slashes from 6 to 4... what do you guys think about that?

for me I think thats a small punishment lol i mean yeah your butt will be bleeding and you'll be hurt, but I think criminal mischief gets you about a year and a half to 3 years in prison.. so 4 months and a fine and 4 beatings is a little less.. the thing about the slashes though is it breaks your skin .. and that may last awhile =x

so thoughts and opinions about cruel unusual punishment? do you believe in it or not? and if yes why and no why?

noungning

Heartless
cruel punishment... omg tina! i was thinking of this because i wrote a paper in school before about this. and tell me why i was just thinking about this, this morning! omg like deja vu... ok enough hype.

as i was saying cruel punishment. cruelty is not dying, cruelty is having to live through vane and insanity. and i believe a lot of inmates go thru various sorts of cruelty living in the cells for X amount of years. killing them like what they did with sadam didn't make anything better [well i feel that way]... he deserves much more torture and suffering because of what he did [the negative things].

certain things like vandalism, i don't think that is enough punishment, a beating in the butt means nothing... and a fine just means to go out there an rob people to pay off the fine. punishment for those individuals are getting a taste of their own medicine. all of their property should be vadalized just as they've done to others lol.

well i believe there shouldn't be a punishment as death, but rather sentenced to be in jail for life for those that commit such horrific crimes.

as for the smaller crimes. i guess there's many things that can be done, but more rule enforcement of the rules can decrease punishment... we have to start from 1, are those that are supposed to be enforcing the rules doing their jobs, if they are then why are people doing the things they are to ultimately be punished? um it's gets long...

ok i think i should stop, i'm not making much sense ne more... :unsure:

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Ditto Ning!! LOL hahahah oh man I tell you we think alike =x lol I was thinking about this and switched the A&E channel and this documentary came on lolsss but anyhow I agree with you on the jail for life thing its punishment well worth it!! cause the death penalty is just giving the criminal an easy way out of their crime.. and also its showing that the government are murderers too.. its never right to take someone elses life ... yes even if they commit the most horrible acts.. I feel this way because .. just as they did they decided to take someone elses life which is wrong... so for us to go around taking theres would be like giving them a reason to yell back at us and say we're no different... now im not making sense =x ning is contagious

noungning

Heartless
yeah, no one deserves to kill another person... they just deserve to put others in misery til they suffer in so much pain they cough out blood muahah ...ok i sound mean :unsure:

um yeah, it doesn't make much sense, we're murdering someone because they murdered someone so does the murdering keep on continuing?

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
yes exactly i mean lol because like what if they are related to some vengeful people .. they murdered someone .. we kill them then their family murders a government official and their family... and then we go back and punish them.. and it keeps going and going and going ... maybe when there is no one left to murder the world will be at peace lol =x oh ning i have dibs on tyzir =x lol hes my first victim lol

noungning

Heartless
lmao ...

oh yeah and i forgot to add... what if the person we think did it all didn't do it at all!!! omg :eek:

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
lmao ...

oh yeah and i forgot to add... what if the person we think did it all didn't do it at all!!! omg :eek:
actually Ning I saw a documentary about that once .. but it was very confusing because the convicted had a twin and everyone including his own mother believed that he was innocent.. the twin was letting his brother take a fall for his crime simply because of mistaken identity.. witnesses pointed out the "good" twin i guess but of course they'd point him out lol he looks identical to his brother ...

and there have been some cases where they were re-opened because of the new technology is able to prove the person behind bars innocent ..

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
haha...everything that you two have said was my paper that i wrote my sophomore year...i think if we go back to flogging our crime rate would go down just a bit...

dfemc

sarNie Adult
darn, i shouldn't have even entered this thread. i have too many strong feelings regarding this topic (due to personal connections with the prison system), n don't feel like thinkin' about it much...so maybe later. but great topic.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
yeah I think spanking will get points across very well, but not really because then criminals will think rob a few people get caught get spanked a few times .. get out go do it again come back get spanked .. yeah thats a problem too .. and awwww P'D its okie whenever you're ready girl and heheh glad to see you back and posting =) ..and thanks you