#1S.H.E.&NicTse
COMPOSITION: PROFILE OF THE HMONG ARTIST; THAO VANG
By Tengo Lor & Kathy M., Hmong Today

Published Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thao Vang

Illustrator

[e]: enumasam@hotmail.com

[w]: enumasam.deviantart.com

Although rarely recognized by face, Thao Vang has left a lasting impression on a large number of admiring audiences with his creative character designs, catchy color schemes, and his remarkable ability to make ideas into visual realities through his artwork.

It’s always a wonder as to how and where artists become so skilled. Is it learned or is it in a special gene received at birth? Unfortunately, to be truly extraordinary, you have to be one of those lucky souls that possess both.

There is no doubt that Thao has a natural talent for illustrations, but he does contribute his notable skill level to the extensive number of hours he has spent practicing in solitude.

Although he does emphasize the importance of focused time alone, Thao also acknowledges the need for support that is best generated by an arts community.

Until CHAT’s 3rd Annual Hmong Art Festival in August 2004, Thao’s primary support system existed through relationships fostered on hmongartists.net, an online Hmong arts and literature community. After a successful day of networking with other Hmong artists at the Festival, Thao was able to connect with a whole new group of people he continues to be friends with today.

What do you think about the Art Festival’s impact on Hmong artists?

It has brought out the best in the Hmong arts community as well as shown that there are Hmong Artists out there.

After a year of being around other artists, Thao has turned his talent into a career as an airbrush artist at Knott’s Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America and Valley Fair Amusement Park in Shakopee.

With his newfound passion, Thao will be attending CHAT’s 4th Annual Hmong Art Festival at a heightened level this year. He will have his own artist booth where he will be airbrushing customized t-shirts.

What is the purpose of art?

There is the cliché that art is an expression of self, which I believe is true but I also feel that art is a form of communication. As an artist I like to communicate my ideas and thoughts visually. Art allows me to see something in my head then put it on paper or some other type of media.

What is it like being an airbrush artist?

The thing I like best about this job is that I can do artwork and get paid for it; also, it lets me work with a different media than the ones that I’m use to; it’s also cool because the other guys I work with are great artists themselves and we give each other pointers to help each other advance as artists; but the thing I like about this job this when I see the face of a happy customer get a shirt that they really wanted.

The thing I dislike about this job is the usual stuff; costumers asking the same questions over and over, the sometimes hectic scheduling, and the occasional rude customers.

You have a very clean and unique style, what are your influences?

My current influences include various comic and manga artists as well as video game character designers; my biggest influences these days include Jo Chen, Hyung-Tae Kim, Masamune Shirow, Tetsuya Nomura, and Jim Lee.

How would you describe the state of the current Hmong art scene?

With more support from the Hmong community and more resources today, like Hmongartists.net, ICE, HAIL, and CHAT to help them advance their skills and bring them into the mainstream, I feel that more Hmong artists are accepting themselves as artists. There are Hmong artists in just about every type of art field, from photography to 3-D animation, spoken word to opera. At this pace it won’t be surprising to see more Hmong Artist in the mainstream.

What are some of the challenges you’ve experienced as a Hmong artist?

The biggest challenge I have had to deal with is proving that being an artist is acceptable. This is especially difficult with my parents and uncles. Since I was doing well in school, they assumed that I would become some kind of Doctor or Lawyer or even a Social worker, don’t get me wrong, those jobs aren’t bad if that’s your passion, but it really wasn’t mine. I know that they are just trying to look out for me but they just didn’t understand that being an artist doesn’t mean that you’ll end up poor or unsuccessful. They still really don’t accept it but they are a little more understanding.

Besides art, what else are you passionate about?

Besides Art? I really do like helping beginning artist progress. I’m not the best artist out there but some people do come to me for advice on how to improve themselves as artists and I’m glad to give them all the advice I can. It’s really cool to see other people’s progression and knowing that you were a part of that progress.

How do you feel about the commonly used phrase, “Starving Artist�?

It’s kinda true. As most artists know, art supplies cost an arm and a leg. Sometimes I find myself so into an art piece that I spend ten or so hours working non-stop and I feel extremely hungry but I know that’s not what you meant by that. I’m not really a full-time artist, I have a part-time job that supports my passion but I think I’m doing okay. Starting out as an artist is always tough but there are many established artists that are quite wealthy.

What do you starve for the most?

Well everyone has goals in their lives. One of my biggest goals is to become a comic artist. I really have a story that I want to publish. I’m not the greatest writer but I feel that this is my goal in life.

What are some projects you have worked on recently?

I was a part of the design team that made the backdrops for the play Nkauj Nog and Nkauj Nrhee, which is being staged this Thursday, August 11, 2005. I’m also a part of The H project and I was on the crew for Team Chow Fa’s short film “Into The Dark�, which won three awards.

Are there any current projects you are working on now?

I’m currently working on a piece for this year’s Hmong Arts Festival, then I’ll be helping Team Chow Fa with a movie, then maybe a sketchbook?

credit to: HmongToday

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
gosh, wish i can learn how to do arts well, i wanna do all kinds of art, but i suck so not even really trying. maybe when i have a good job, saved enough money, i'll take up classes just for fun.