Chasing Pavements

Merit

sarNie Adult
Chasing Pavements

Chapter One

Matt entered her condo, feeling completely wiped out. The day has been a calamity and has remained as that. She threw her purse down and missed its mark, landing instead on the floor next to the chair that was the true intention. Sitting herself down on the most comfortable, oversized sofa she has the privilege of owning. Matt could feel a headache coming alive, just what she needed, Matt thought. Tilting her head backward, she began messaging her temple, only with no relief.

“What a day,” Lying down, she stretched out like a lazy cat. A few minutes of power nap was all she needed. Convincing herself that, she closed her eyes and drifted to sleep.

A knocked on her door came once, twice, by the third time the door swung open.

“Wake up!”

Matt turned to the side and snuggled herself deeper in the sofa.

“Matt...”

Silent

A hand reached out and grabbed a strand of her hair, yanking it from her head.

“Ouch!”

Sleepy or not that brought her to a sitting position, rubbing her head at the same time. She looked up to the person responsible for her rude awakening. “Yasha, what the hell is your problem?” She said annoyingly.

Hands on his hips, Yasha opened his mouth to respond, but looked at her instead.

“What?” Matt lifted her eyes and wondered why he was staring at her. If truth be told, he should be the one getting her attention. He
has on a hot pink shirt and one bright pair of blue pants she has ever laid eyes on. His outfit alone screamed loudly for a notice.

“You’re drooling,” Yasha pointed out.

“Oh...” Innocently, Matt wiped the corner of her mouth.

“Why aren’t you ready?” Inspecting his outfit, Yasha turned himself this way and that way. Tucking his shirt and adjusting his pants. Smiling, he returned back to Matt.

“Ready? For what...?” She looked confused. Was she supposed to go somewhere? She doesn’t remember having any plans.

“It’s the reason why I’m here.” Moving away from Matt, he swayed his hips provocatively and heads toward the kitchen.

She concentrated on his walk. “Why are you walking that way? I’m the only one here. There’s no man here to witness your walk.”

Yasha grabbed an apple from the fridge and made his way back to Matt. “I’m practicing my walk, sexy isn’t it?”

“Very...” Matt couldn’t help herself she burst out laughing.

“You’re late for your date,” Yasha casually threw out.

“Date,” Her eyes widened, in remembrance. “Crap, Yasha why didn’t you say something earlier.”

Matt rushed to her bedroom, tearing off one piece of clothing at a time, while Yasha slowly followed after her almost stepping on the clothes she left behind. She opened her closet doors and took out her emergency dress. One she knew would get her out of any trouble. She admits the long black dress with its deep cut in front and back is very flattering. She may not be blessed with big breasts like most, but the dress does hug her body just right.

Matt stepped out of the bathroom with the dress on and automatically smiled sweetly at Yasha. Too sweetly she knew. He looked her up and down. “Are you planning to have him eat you for dinner?”

“It is a forgiveness dress, if you must know.”

Yasha, picked up an eyeliner. “With it on, he’ll do more than forgive you.” He took a hold of her face. “Let me finish your eyes for you, it looks kind of dead.”

“No,” Matt hits his hand away. “The last time you finish my eyes, I got dumped. My date thought I was one crazy girl blinking at him all night long.”

“Fine,” Yasha shrugged. He turned and went to her closet.

“You can’t have any more of my T-Shirts. I’m almost out.”

Matt struggled with her hair, attempting to style it in a bun is rather difficult when time is limited. Yasha turned to her and reached for the pins from her hand. “Stay still, I can’t do my job if you’re going to move like a worm.” He pulled her hair up and pinned it here and pinned it there, in no time a bun was born. “Pretty thing are you? He wouldn’t even remember why he’s mad at you in the first place.”

Matt turned to Yasha and planted a kiss on his cheek. “That’s my goal.” One last look at herself in the mirror and she dashed out, only to returned a few minutes later. “Forget my shoes.” She bent down and grabbed the nearest high heels within reach and ran out the door.

Grate Warintorn walked downstairs with his exquisite suit on. Granted, the color is neutral but it’s his lucky suit. Tonight was just the night he wanted that luck to happen. A date with a very beautiful girl who seemed to have her life in order is hard to come by. He loves dating, casually that is. Commitment is as foreign to him as it gets. He enjoys a woman’s company no shame in admitting that but there’s an invisible line that has been drawn out. Any girl that wanted to cross it, he’ll have to cut them loose and move on.

“Pope,” Grate stopped in his track. “What are you doing here?”

Pope didn’t bother looking up from his reading. “Forget didn’t you?”

Obviously, Grate thought. He hadn’t remembered much of anything but his date. Almost apologetically, he walked over to Pope.

“We were supposed to meet the guys tonight,” Pope closed the magazine and laid it down on the coffee table. Looking at Grate, he couldn’t help but smiled. “My, isn’t she special, what’s the name?”

“Name?”

“Yeah, name.”

“Her name...?” Grate blinked and knew he looked stupid repeating the question.

“Damn it, Grate,” Pope shook his head.

As beautiful as the image of his date flashing in his mind was, her name completely escaped him.

"I know it started with one of the letter in the alphabet,” Grate answered shamelessly.

Pope chuckled. “One of these days a girl will be the end of you. Your heart is not made out of steel. A girl is bound to find it vulnerable and happily destroy it.”

Grate placed his hand on Pope’s shoulder. “When you play the game you never get caught or trap in it. I know my heart and it is staying put.” Grate gave a little squeeze. “Lock up when you leave.” With that he walked out the door to meet his beautiful but nameless date.

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Great the Playaaaaa!!! lol this is so good! Matt is Great's nameless date, right, or are you just messing with us? 555 either way i can't wait until they meet and she tames his heart!

Pope too, he's such a cutie!

Merit

sarNie Adult
I'll try to update this once a week. I do like Pope a lot and think he is a handsome guy. I couldn't come up with a bubbly girl beside Mint. She just popped into my head.

blissfulxoxo

sarNie Oldmaid
You make me eeven more anxious to see Pope & Mint. Lol 555. I'm adoring Pope too. Ehe. And of course I love Grate & Matt. Keep it up!!

Merit

sarNie Adult
Chapter Two

Dinner turned out exceptionally well. The moment Matt showed up, her date completely forgot her lateness. As a matter of fact, she has never seen a happier man.

“The food here’s pretty delicious.” Matt took another bite of her fish. “Kane, thanks for being so nice to me.”

“You are a beautiful girl, Matt.”

She smiled then at his compliment. They have been dating a week and she could’ve not found a better man than Kane. He’s sweet, considerate and understanding. He might be older than her by many heads count but age has never been a factor to her. She smiled at the way he brushed a few strands of stubborn hair that kept on falling in his face. The way his eyes lit up every time she’s around him. She caught herself smiling...maybe just maybe he might be the one.

“What the hell are you doing with this girl!?

Matt looked up at a man with such hatred in his eyes, he could have commit murder and wouldn’t even feel any remorse. The man kept his stare on her and a finger directed at her face.

“Grate...”Kane turned white as snow.

“Who the hell is she?” Grate’s voice escalated and the tone became more vicious by the minute.

“She is...”Kane looked at Matt.

“Your damn mistress,” Grate finished off for him.

Matt looked from man to man and eventually rested her eyes on Kane. She wanted an explanation from him, any kind just as long as it’s not what she thought it to be. But the quilt on his face took her breath away. She felt her chest tightened and a chill somewhat made her felt cold as ice. She opened her mouth but words failed her, Matt stood up and took a step backward,her eyes began to mist. She wasn’t going to cry no matter what, that much she promised herself.

“Matt, let me explain,” Kane made an attempt to reach for her but Grate grabbed him by the collar and shoved him against the wall.

Matt didn’t so much, as move. She looked at Kane’s face and regret starting to form. Regret of what, getting caught?

“Either you stay there or get your ass home to your wife,” Grate said with enough emphasis on the word wife Matt couldn’t possibly miss his intention.

She mouthed the word why to Kane and took off running.

“Matt!” She heard a pleading voice from Kane. The voice she thought to be so kind and gentle a few minutes ago turned into the voice she hated the most.

Grate turned to his brother. “You stay there, I swear Kane if you step foot outside the door I’ll kick your ass." He turned around and took off.

Matt felt alone once more and life seemed so unfair. She almost laughed at the irony of it all. In the past she had carelessly dismissed men who showed their affections toward her, and here she is thinking she had found the person she could care for and have considered a future with him, who to thought deep down behind those warmth eyes lies a secret that made her questioned everything she stood for. Her past came to view and she loathed how vulnerable she felt.

She almost reached her car when she heard footsteps behind her.

“Stop...!” Grate yelled out.

The voice she’s beginning to wish she would never have to hear again for the rest of her life. When she didn’t stop she felt a hand grabbing her arm so painfully, she winced.

“What do you think you are doing?”

“Going home,” She answered casually. She was not going to give him the satisfaction of seeing any emotions from her.

“Leave my brother alone,” Grate warned.

Matt yanked her arm away from his grip. “You tell your brother to leave me alone,” She shot back. “And while you are at it, tell him he’s a lying bastard.”

Grate, took in her overall appearance and believe not a word coming out of her mouth. Some of her hair came loose and her dress was as revealing as one could get without completely going naked. “He’s a married man!” He found himself stepping a couple of feet away from her.

The wind starting to pick up and she regrets wearing her dress, for all the beauty it made her feel the way Grate looked at her she felt worthless.

“Had I known your brother’s married I wouldn’t even waste my breath on him.”

“I wouldn’t bet my money on a girl like you.”

“Believe what you want, your brother lied.”

“I’m sure even truth or not it wouldn’t have made a difference.”

She made a hissing sound and brushed off his comment.

Grate stepped so close, any closer his nose would have touch hers. “If I ever, see you in a close distance with my brother, you will regret your decision of doing so. Do you hear me?”

“Get out of my face!” She puts her hands on his chest and gave it one good pushed.

Grate missed a step and landed on the ground. He gave her a look that would have left anyone retreating to a corner.

“Don’t you judge me when you, don’t even know me!” Turning around she reached for her car.

Matt didn’t get far, she felt a handful of her dress being grabbed from behind and she went tumbling down.

Kane, ran out and found Matt and Grate on the ground next to each other. He reached for Matt and pulled her up.

“I thought I told you to stay put,” Grate went after his brother and pushed him away from Matt.

“Grate, you are creating a scene can we discuss this at home,” Kane’s softened his voice trying to reason with him.

Grate ignored him completely and grabbed Matt, manhandling her seemed to be second nature to him in such a short time. He didn’t let go of her in spite of her protest. Grabbing her purse he got the keys out, opened her door and shoved her inside, so roughly she knew it was a beast not human that could act in such a way.

“Go home and stay there,” He handed Matt her keys and before she could say anything he slammed the door shut on her.

Grate leaned against the door preventing Kane from looking at her. He lifted his head to his brother in a challenge. “Go ahead Kane show me what you are made of.”

Kane didn’t take the bait. “It’s not her fault.”

“I don’t care.”

“You should, she doesn’t know.”

“Really,” Grate drawled out in a tone that seemed bored.

Matt started her car and took off in such a speed it knocked Grate off his balance, and once again he landed on the ground for the second time. Kane wanted to laugh but knew better. He focused on Matt’s car until she was out of sight.

jjinxx

T-T
Why is Grate such a jerk? i know he cares about his brother being a good person, but dang, talk about assumptions. poor Matt!
Kanes a cheating liar...poor Matt.

ok, sorry i was depressed. 555 thank you for the update! that was intense!

Merit

sarNie Adult
Chapter 3

Pope sat watching people walked by while taking a bite of his lunch. Picking up his glass of water, he turned to Grate. “How was your date the other night anyway?”

“A disaster, my date was a beautiful girl, no fault of her own but after about an hour with her I feel like I was having dinner with a buddy. As it stands, no second date for us.”

“It’s a shame isn’t it when beauty is just that?”

“That was the least of what went wrong that night. After I said good bye to my date I went back inside the restaurant.” Grate gave a quick glanced to his food and felt his appetite decreasing. “I forgot my phone, thinking I was just going to grab it and call it a night but you would never believe what I saw.”

Pope sets his glass down. “Must be something good with the look you’re giving me.”

“It was Kane and his date.” Grate’s voice inched up a bit.

“He’s married, so what’s the big deal in him having dinner with a girl?”

“If it was with his wife, I wouldn’t have a fit. It’s with another woman. My brother’s having an affair.” Grate turned his head looking out to the street rather than at Pope.

“You mean the quiet and proper Kane who usually does things by the book?” Pope asked in surprised.

Grate focused on a couple standing next to a car in what looked to be in a heated conversation. “The thing is he said that the girl doesn’t know that he’s married. If you see the way she dressed you would not believe she would be in the dark about such thing.” Grate made no attempt in hiding his disgust on the matter.

“Maybe she doesn’t. Look at it this way, if she really likes your brother or perhaps love your brother she probably trust him. If he shows no signs of being a married man then I don’t see how she would know. A cheater can be very creative and secretive.” Pope tried his best to inject some reasons in Grate but how much Grate took it, he wasn’t’ sure.

Grate came to a silent and whatever sense his friend tried to instill in him got lost in midair. He stood up and left his part of the bill. “If one day I need a shrink, I’m going to turn to you.” Grate took off and left Pope enjoying his meal in peace.

After lunch with Grate, Pope decided to make a run to the office and took care of some unfinished work before making his way home and taking advantage of the relaxing Saturday.

He opened the gate to his house and walking in slowly, he thought back to what Grate told him about Kane, when he felt a small rock hit him straight on the head.

“What the...?” He touched his head and knew who was responsible for it.

“Mint come on out, I know it’s you.”

Pope waited with no answer.

“Mint!” He shouted her name. “If you don’t...” He didn’t finish the sentence when he saw a head slowly lifted up above the fence.

Pope walked over and stood looking at the eyes of a girl that he sometimes, wonder what’s going on in that head of hers. She blinked once at him and her eyes smiled in his that he found himself just staring at them for a brief moment.

“Hi, Pope,” Mint said in such an innocent voice, he knew she was guilty right off the bat.

“I’m going to tell your mom if you keep on doing that.”

Mint’s head came up higher. “You wouldn’t would you?” She batted her eyes playfully.

Pope almost laugh at how awful she looked by doing just that.

She held onto the edge of the fence and before he realized what she’s about to do, she jumped off the fence and landed on his yard. He opened his mouth to say something but he gawked at her like an idiot.

Mint brushing off her hands looked at Pope smiling with victory. “Impressive aren’t I?” She patted herself on the back.

“Impressive alright,” He grabbed her shirt and yanked her with him.

“Where are you taking me?” Protesting with her feet she managed to stop herself going any further.

“I’m walking you back home and I’m going to wait till your mom gets home.”

“No...Pope, wait listen to me,” She twisted herself around to face him. “You don’t want to do that.” She pulled on her shirt nervously. “I was just testing my ability to jump off the fence, I’m not hurt.”

“You should be thankful for that if you are I would have beaten you till you learn your lesson.” He tugged her along almost reaching the gate, he paused.

Mint opened her eyes wide with acknowledgement, she had just blurted out her mistake.

“You have done this before?” He pulled her in closer, holding onto her shirt tighter than before.

Mint touched his hand. Licking her lips she thought of a lie that doesn’t sound like a lie. “Well, you see.” She laughed nervously. What the heck, she thought the truth probably comes out better anyway. “I was bored and jumped a few times when you are not home.” There she said it but when looking at Pope’s eyes she regretted every word.

Blinking away the image of his angry face, she backed herself away from him but she forgot he still have a good hold of her shirt. Pope leaned in on her and she didn’t know what else to do but raised her free hand blocking his blow to her.

Instead she was pushed away. She opened her eyes slowly to see if it was safe. She saw Pope pacing back and forth. He looked annoyed, frustrated and a few other emotions she didn’t care for to see in those beautiful eyes of his. She wondered when will, he show her some tender looks instead of being agitated with her all the time.

“If I ever catch you doing stupid things like jumping over a fence again, I am going to...” He took in a breath and stared at her. Those innocent eyes that see the good in everyone, he didn’t know the right words to say. He admits, she gets under his skin each time they crossed paths, but there are times he needed that naïve personality of hers to reassure him that the world still have a few good people.

Her hair tied in a ponytail she looked even younger than her age. Her eyes blinking waiting in anticipation for his answer, he stood there watching her biting her lips, while her feet kicking the ground to distract her from whatever it is she’s thinking.

“I’m going to count to five and you better be out of my sight.”

Mint smiled.

“One.”

She took a few steps backward.

“Two.”

She was closer to the gate.

“Three.”

Mint turned around and as fast as lightening she disappeared. Pope shook his head and laughed. Then he sobered up thinking she has been the only one that’s able to put a smile on his face. The silly things she does often just to get his attention. He ignored the thoughts that’s forming in his head and made his way inside the house.

jjinxx

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh

Pope and Mint were so cute! i think he likes her...deep deep down and soon his feelings will grow...very soon XD
she's so innocent! i wonder why she jumps over his fence, she doesn't like it at home or is it that she has a crush on him? wouldn't be surprised, he's a cutie.
are their age difference very big?

oh boy, Great is just going off on assumptions. gee, can't a girl look nice for a date?

Merit

sarNie Adult
oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh

Pope and Mint were so cute! i think he likes her...deep deep down and soon his feelings will grow...very soon XD
she's so innocent! i wonder why she jumps over his fence, she doesn't like it at home or is it that she has a crush on him? wouldn't be surprised, he's a cutie.
are their age difference very big?

oh boy, Great is just going off on assumptions. gee, can't a girl look nice for a date?

I enjoy writing Pope and Mint. I always like the bubbly/silly girl with a somewhat mature guy. I was watching an interview of Pope the other day and he got such a cute smile. Especially, when he gives out those big smiles and exposed his dimple(s)? I know the left side is very visible but I'm not sure about the right side.

The age difference is a bit between them, but I'm going to get more into that later. :0

***I don't know what's wrong with my computer or maybe I'm not doing it right because when I start a new paragraph it doesn't let me space it out. It's so annoying because it doesn't look right. When I copy and paste it looks right but when I post, it doesn't. If anyone knows how I can correct it let me know, if not I'll just continue with what I'm doing.*** :0

jjinxx

^ that's weird...dunno how to fix it. if it doesn't get in the way too much with your writing, i wouldn't mind even if it looks weird. hope for an update soon!

Merit

sarNie Adult
Chapter Four

Matt decided a day at home relaxing was what she needed. She didn’t even bother changing her clothes, still in her nightgown she picked up a book and opened to the first page when a knocked at the door got her attention. Agitated at the interruption, she yanked the door opened.

Grate wasn’t expecting Matt to greet him in a skimpy little nightgown. Does the girl even have anything decent in her closet?

She attempts to shut the door in his face when he stopped it with his foot. Before she realized his true intention, he pushed the door opened and walked inside. Matt’s eyes widened in disbelieve. Who the hell does he think he is?

Grate looked the place over and it was very simple, one would not guessed by looking at the person owning it. His eyes scanned further and noticed a few arts hanging neatly in place with a sofa, a couple of chairs and three big plants to be exact to complete the look.

His eyes seemed to have a mind of its own when it traveled back to her. He couldn’t help but noticed the way her nightgown molded to her body. The thin silk fabric didn’t help much in hiding anything, if at all it exposed more than it should. The length of it was as short as a nightgown would allow, he thought. Whereas the color pink complimented her very nicely, because it made her skin somehow glowed in the morning hour.

Her hair is down and a little on the messy side, the get out of bed look suited her more than the other night when she’s all made up. It made her looked real, vulnerable and to an extent innocent even. Her eyes seemed to be the focal point of her features. It was big, mesmerizing and almost catlike, it made her that much more attractive with further observation. A feeling which he didn’t care to examined came to life and Grate blinked it away. It was a dangerous territory to cross.

“Get out! You are not welcome here,” She said with her head tilted to the door and a voice loud enough to bring Grate back to reality.

“My brother is here, waiting for you at the parking lot.

She shrugged.

“It seemed the more I’m making him stay away from you the more he’s determined to get to you.”

Matt walked over to the sofa and acted as if she hadn’t heard a word and picked up her book again. She yawned loudly and turned to where she left off.

“I want you to get dress and go down there.”

If he wanted her absolute attention, that got it. Grate, didn’t even see it coming the book flew right at him and hits him on the forehead.

“Who do you think you are barging in here ordering me around? Wasn’t it you that heatedly said I was not to go near Kane. Get the hell out of my place!” Her cheeks began to burn.

Grate rubbed his forehead, no girl has ever have the gut to even do what Matt just did to him. His jaw twitched and he knew if she kept it up one of them is going to end up regretting something. He looked at her defiant stare and wonder why out of all the girls, his brother chose a girl that can’t keep her mouth close and a temper of a wildcat.

“I have changed my mind. He’s adamant about seeing you and I just happen to have it in me to be one step ahead of him. I will make it very difficult for him to be alone with you. He will not want to do anything as stupid as to drool over you when I’m around. Ten minutes Matt, is all I’m giving you.”

Her mouth opened.

“You are losing precious minutes. If your ten minutes are up, you are going to wish you would listen.”

She stood there making no attempt in moving herself from the spot. She looked down at her nails and lifted her hands up to see the color of her nails in the light.

Grate’s patient is hanging by a very small fragile thread. The tension in his neck is claiming him rubbing it he knew it is one step short of snapping. He looked at Matt and had enough, taking two small steps he grabbed her by the arm and propelled her to her room.

“You are one arrogant jerk, how is it that you find it ok to walk into someone’s home and demand them to do what you want?”

He ignored her.

“I hate you.”

“Ok.”

“I have never met anyone I hate so much.”

Grate looked to his left and saw a door opened, he shoved her inside and held the door closed on her. “Five minutes and you better be ready.” He tapped the door to get his point across.

Matt came out in five minutes but what she wore was almost as bad as her nightgown. She flashed Grate a mischievous smile. He snorted and pushed her back inside the room.

“Wear something that have enough material to cover your damn body,” He yelled through the door.

The second time she came out, she wore her workout clothes. A simple tight black sweat pants and a matching sweat shirt. He shook his head. If it’s not tight to the body it’s as revealing as the daylight. Damn the girl for knowing how to tease a man.

Matt grabbed a pencil and jammed it in her hair creating a small bun. Walking in front of Grate she wished he would fall in a black hole, and never be seen again.

Matt and Grate stood in silent waiting for the elevator, tapping her foot impatiently she glanced over to the door on her right. Lifting her brow in acknowledgment she turned back to the elevator and hid her smile. Grate eyed her suspiciously but decided to keep quiet.

The elevator door opened and he walked in but when he turned around Matt took a few steps backward. “I’m taking the stairs.” She took off running before he had a chance to utter a word. The elevator door closed while Grate cursed at himself.

Matt thought taking the stairs was a brilliant idea at first if for no other reason than to make him wait, but when she realized she lived on the tenth floor she almost wished the idea escaped her altogether. By the time she got down to the first floor her legs were aching. When she finally made it to the lobby she saw Grate standing there leaning against the wall next to the elevator with his legs slightly crossed and head lowered to the ground. His eyes moved ever so slowly and once they met hers, she almost cringed at the way it bored into her as if able to see through her soul.

Grate advanced on her like she was his prey. Grabbing her by the arm he shoved her against the wall. He prisoned her with his body allowing no room for her to move even if she wanted to. He leaned closed, his lips almost touching her ear she could feel the warmth of his breath. Matt tried to move her head away from him and in the process the pencil fell off, spilling her hair into her face.

“See here, I am starting to not like your ways.”

Matt looked around and saw a couple walking by giving her a knowing smile. She closed her eyes in mortification. To the strangers, Grate and Matt looked like a couple in a romantic moment. The way he moved his head in a slow motion, made it looked like he is kissing her neck rather than a whisper of threat.

“There are so many ways, that I can easily embarrass you.” He continued. “If you think you can outsmart me, you better think again.” He touched her hair and in almost a sweet gesture he tucked it behind her ear to reveal her face.

Matt saw an older woman walked by, the looked of envy in the older woman’s eyes made Matt wanted to laugh. If the she knew the truth behind Grate’s action, her eyes would have given out another expression.

“Your little game is amusing on any given day, but today I am not in the mood of playing. If you are going pull another trick on me, you have another thing coming.”

Grate pulled himself from her, patting her cheek. “Are we clear?”

Bastard.

Grate crossed his arms waiting for her answer. But if he thought a nice obedient one was coming from her, he thought wrong. She stood up straight, head high forcing a smile on herself she shoved him aside. Not bothering answering him she walked out to where Kane is.

He watched her walked off, bending down he picked up the pencil lying on the floor. “Your owner is one of a kind, that much I’m willing to give her.” He followed Matt and threw the pencil away in the nearest trash can.

Kane was standing next to his car looking down but his head automatically rose when he noticed Matt.

“Matt,” Kane took a few steps forward but stopped when he saw Grate next to her.

“Surprised aren’t you?” Grate lifted his head.

“What are you doing here?”

“The same reason you are.”

Kane knew it was a lie. He came here to apologize to Matt and looking at Grate he wouldn’t apologize to her if his life depends on it.

“Matt can we talk?”

“I don’t have much to say to you.” Her voice came out bitterly.

Kane squint his eyes from the sun, a look that made him older than his age of thirty five. He stood there thinking of what to say next, he deserved the cold shoulder from Matt but somehow, he’s going to make her listen to him. Maybe not today, considering the stubborn look in her eyes, he’ll be lucky if he gets a few words in. Sighing in surrender, he turned to his car. Just as he touched the door, he looked up when a car came, speeding he stood still and stiffed. He knew the car and the person in it. The car came to a screeching stop a hairline from his. A girl got out and slammed the door walking directly to him.

“Pim.” A voice Kane didn’t realized it belong to him came out.

“Still remember your wife?” Pim said with a disgusted tone. She switched her attention to Matt and Grate.

“Pim, what are you doing here?” Grate asked then wanted to take the question back. Because he is staring at the reasons in front of him that is his brother and Matt standing like a statue next to him.

Matt stood frozen. She looked from Kane to Pim and back again. She felt guilty, stupid, cheap, and everything else rolled into one.

Pim took a step forward and pointed a finger at Matt. “So this is the little sleaze you are having an affair with?”

Matt didn’t argue the point. What was she supposed to say to defend herself that she was innocent in it all? And if she told Kane’s wife she didn’t know he was married would she believe her? One look at Pim the answer is a definite, NO.

Grate could not explain to himself, no more than to those around him when he stepped in front of Matt and shielded her from Pim.

“Oh, so she’s sleeping with you too, isn’t she Grate?” Pim’s accusation was as clear as the sun shining.

“Pim...” Kane took a hold of his wife’s arm but she broke free of his grip.

“You lying jerk, take your filthy hand off of me.” She shouted and attracted a few onlookers.

Kane pleaded with his eyes but he got no sympathy from his wife. “You are a snake. You rather have someone like her?” Pim pointed to Matt.

“We will discuss this at home.” Kane tried once more, this time taking a harder grip on his wife’s arm.

“I am not going anywhere until that mistress of yours comes out from her hiding behind Grate’s back.”

Matt made a small step, but Grate took one as well and blocked her from getting further. “Stay where you are, it won’t do you any good trying to convince her of anything.”

Matt nodded and for the first time didn’t put up a fight with Grate.

“If you are brave enough to sleep with my husband you should have the nerve to face his wife.” Pim yelled out to Matt.

Grate looked at his sister in law in a way he had never looked at her before. Pim was always calm and pleasant, within reasons in how she conducted herself. He actually liked being around her. But the Pim that is standing before him was almost a complete transformation. Kane and Pim had been married for almost six years and not once did he witness any yelling from her. Grate, wondered how did these changes happened? Was there problems in their marriage that he failed to see all along?

Kane turned to the strangers watching them with interest then pulled his wife along. Through her screaming and yelling and calling him all sorts of name, he didn’t let her go. “Go home and you can do what you want to me there but no more out here.”

Pim looked in her husband’s eyes. It was an outright warning because he sounded so level headed. “Fine! But we are far from over!” She shouted.

Kane gave a quick nod in agreement and walked to his car, getting inside he looked over to Grate. He was confused about his brother’s behavior in regards to Matt, but he was grateful even if he doesn’t understand the reason behind it.

Pim took one last look at Matt but she found that Grate still have her protected behind his back. Why would he out of all people protect her? She got in her car and sped off without her answer.

Once Kane and Pim left Grate turned to Matt. He didn’t have to say anything, his eyes said it all.

“I didn’t sleep with him.”

Grate didn’t respond.

Matt took a deep breath and averted her eyes, explaining herself to him is like beating a dead horse. If he didn’t believe her the first time, he’s not likely to do so now.

“Next time choose your men more carefully.” Grate turned away.

“If I’m so bad why did you protect me?”

He paused.

“I can take care of myself.”

“I know.”

“Then why did you?”

“I have my reasons.”

“What are they?”

She didn’t get her answer. Grate shrugged and walked off leaving her standing in the middle of the parking lot staring after him trying to figure out the reasons why.

jjinxx

whoa, i think, with both of their hot-tempered-ness one of these days something really IS going to happen that they'll regret...r scene? LOL j/k

aw man i hate when people blame the woman in the affair but never the man...and it wasn't like Matt even knew T-T

Merit

sarNie Adult
Chapter Five

Kane pulled into the driveway and walked inside the house with Pim loudly following him behind.

"You are such a man aren't you?"

Kane took a deep breath and calmed himself before he turned to his wife. "More than, your ex-boyfriend will ever be."

Pim suddenly became quiet and stood still. For all the years that they have been married Kane never once brought up her past let alone any of her ex-boyfriends.

"I saw something in you Pim, something good. I have never questioned your past nor do I care about it. I love you enough to marry you for who you are. I never once utter a word about your pregnancy to anyone because it didn't matter if the baby was not mine. I knew in my heart I could love the child as my own. But no matter how much I reassure you that I would not do anything to hurt you, it wasn't enought."

Pim took a step backward and her eyes clouded with confusion.

"You accused me of cheating on you every time I work late or go out of town for business. You check my phone and thinks that every numbers you don't know belongs to a girl. I have put up with it and keep it inside of me."

"So now, you did as I accused you of." Pim's voice cracked.

"I needed someone to talk to. I could no longer talk to you, my wife. I have tried to reach out to you countless times and each time I ended with the same result."

"You decided an affair is a way out."

Kane brushed his hair with his hand, he turned and noticed a wedding picture, he walked to the table and grabbed it. "See this?"

Kane handed the picture to Pim, she reluctantly took it.

"That's the happiest day of my life, followed by the birth of Maya."

Pim kept her eyes on the picture.

"You could never let go of what your ex-boyfriend did to you. I didn't have a fighting chance of winning the battle did I? I was going to take the place of him in your heart."

Kane walked over to his wife and grabbed her arms she looked at him and saw his eyes misted with tears?

"Why could you not love me and trust me as much as I did in you?"

"Kane."

He looked her straight in the eyes. If she could not see the truth in him then she will never able to.

"I did not sleep with Matt. Believe what you want but she did not know I was married. I never inteneded on sleeping with her I just needed someone that can make me feel alive and not dead inside. I don't want to seek it outside my marriage but I am at a lost."

Pim saw something in Kane that she refused to acknowledge in the past, the picture she held tightly a second ago came crashing down and the glass shattered.

Kane lowered his head and looked at the perfect picture of a happy married couple that now only seemed like a dream. He walked passed Pim, pausing at the door.

"I'm spending a night at Grate's place. This marriage is over." His last words before he walked out.

Pim kneeled down on the floor and picked up the picture, holding it tightly to her chest she cried.

Mint fanned herself and looked up at the sky. "Why is it so hot?"

She saw the boutique she wanted to go to. Opening the door she lets out a sigh of relief feeling the coolness of the air conditioner hitting her. Smiling to herself she is eager to find her perfect dress to a party her mom refused to get her go to.

"Hi, I'm Yasha, welcome to Yama boutique."

"Hello." Mint looked around the store and didn't know where to start. She doesn't own a single dress and has no clue, what to even look for.

"Yasha, is this dress ok?" Matt came out wearing a short one shoulder red dress, and stopped by the mirror to look at, herself.

"Wow..." Mint eyes widened. "It's beautiful." She walked over to Matt and stood next to her.

"Do you think so?" Matt turned to Mint and could not help but smile, seeing the girl's innocent eyes was something different.

"There's a green one, if you want to try it on. I think you'll look absolutely gorgeous in it." Matt turned to Mint.

"Me?" Mint pointed to herself and looked at her own reflection in the mirror. She was so plain that she didn't think any kind of dress was going to make her any prettier.

"What's your name?" Yasha asked making his way next to Mint.

"Mint." She happily replied.

"I'm Yasha and this is Matt." Matt smiled and nodded to Mint. She didn't know what but something in Mint comes off naturally sweet.

"Wait a second, I'll be right back." Yasha walked off and when he returned he puts the green dress indentical to Matt's dress in front of Mint.

Mint pouted and her eyes dropped. "It doesn't look good on me."

"Of course it does." Yasha playfully smacked her on the shoulder. He grabbed her hair and lifted off of her face and reached for a clip. He puts it in a bundle and looked at her. "I see a pretty girl."

"I agree, pretty." Matt seconded the comment. She reached for a gold bracelet and puts it on Mint. "No guy will ever deny you of anything with this dress on."

"No guy? Really?" Mint's eyes became hopeful. "You mean a guy would really do anything because of a dress?" Mint asked innocently.

Matt and Yasha looked at each other and laughed. "Oh, sweetheart, you are just too cute." Yasha almost Pinch Mint's cheek.

Mint lets out one audible sigh. "My mom won't let me go to the party anyway I don't know why I even bother. I probably buy the dress and never have the chance to wear it."

"Follow the heart, Mint." Matt said not sure if her advised was correct for someone like Mint.

"I really want Pope to see me in this dress. I wonder if he'll do anything for me." Mint dreamingly said and smiled at herself in the mirror.

"Pope?" Matt said. "Is he who the dress is for?"

"No!" Mint answered too quickly. "I mean, just like my mom he doesn't want me to go to any party but he doesn't know that I am going so it doesn't matter one way or the other. He doesn't like to see me in dresses or all made up. he says I would look weird, but sometimes, I want to look more womanly in front of him than you know just a little girl, it's how he sees me and..." Mint paused.

"Oh..." Matt smiled knowingly.

"I rambled when I'm nervous. Pope said that is one quality about me which he never understands and he said most of the time I don't make a lick of sense."

"This Pope is he that special someone?" Yasha asked and held the dress away from Mint for a few seconds.

"Oh, yes, he's just perfect." She blushed once she realized what came out off her mouth.

"Here go try this dress on." He handed the dress to Mint and walked her to the dressing room.

A few minutes later Mint came out and out of habit, when she's uncomfortable she touched her lips.

"Beautiful." Yasha grabbed her arm and took her to stand in front of the mirror. "Your Pope is going to eat his heart out."

"I like the color." Mint said eyes glowing.

"Not just the color, Mint you are a pretty girl." Matt looked Mint over and pulled the lower bottom of the dress in place.

"Yes, with a little makeup and hair put in place, so many guys are going to fall all over you." Yasha touched the shoulder of the dress and pulled it slightly backward.

"I only want one guy to fall over me, not a whole lot of them." Mint turned her head to the door when she heard it opened. And her heart stopped.

Mint quickly took shelter behind Matt's back. "Pope." She whispered.

Matt and Yasha turned to look at the man that just walked in. "I'll distract him, go hide somewhere." Yasha walked over to Pope.

Mint pulled her hair down and covered her face and ran to the nearest curtain she could find. Peeking from behind the curtain she watched Pope looking at the jewelry section. Who is he buying them for? She leaned a little forward trying to see exaclty what he's buying when she tripped on the curtain and went tumbling forward, she grabbed a hold of a mannequin and landed on top of it causing a loud noise with her fall. Matt, Yasha and Pope turned to her at once.

Mint pulled her hair forward to cover her face, she didn't know what to do out of desperation she lowered her head and kissed the mannequin.

"Weird." Pope said and turned back to examined the jewelry in hand.

Matt and Yasha almost let out a loud giggle when they turned back to Mint once again she was gone.

jjinxx

^ LOL. Mint is such a clumsy girl! but she's so cute the way she wants to be seen differently in Pope's eyes! >< I hope he gets to see her and fall head over heels for her! :cheer:

Man, Kane and his wife are really sad. it's disappointing that someone he loved so much didn't have any faith in him. maybe they can work things out. i just hope Grate doesn't harrass Matt too much. but then again, that way they'll get to fall in love!!