[Ch3] Bpoop Phaeh Saniwaat (Broadcast Thai) : Pope Thanawat / Bella Ranee

jeanie1

sarNie Adult
You guys, no worries, all the questions we have about Date's "french kissing" skills are gonna be the same ones nosy Kade has! lol. We still get a morning after scene! And to me the morning after scene is better than the wedding night. The wedding night requires too much imagination apart from the the Lo sam pao.

And a question I have...(!!): If Kade accepts the fact that whatever happens will happen, so what is the significance in her still trying to find out so many things firsthand to the extent of risking her life? (Yes, her curiosity propels her, but speaking in terms of narrative sense?) Knowing that history (just like their love destiny) already has its course, she can't change history - so if she can't change anything, what is her role in history and the story? (My brain might have been too wired in a particular way to not see things in another perspective rn.)
Right! You're spot on saying that specific scenes are well-written, but the way it's being put together feels kinda off and disintegrated. Glad to hear that there are other people who feel so too!

But of course we're all still here for obvious reasons... ;)

Totally agree! That's one of things which bothers me quite a bit as well. She acts so carelessly some times, but on the hand, she's still staunchly and firmly against the idea of revealing her true origin. Guuuurl! There weren't even good reasons for her to speak so outwardly because her comments hardly value add or change anything most of the time :facepalm::risas3:
Book Kade keeps a running commentary in her head. But it doesn't come off as obnoxious cause it's all in her head and no one hears or responds to it (except the reader lol). But you can't do that in a lakorn cause how weird would that be to be hearing Kade's thoughts 24/7. Also then none of the side characters would get as much to do as they have in the lakorn. You know this was one of my worries once I finished the book was how they were going to work Kade's thoughts onscreen. I don't think they did it successfully.

I've always said Kade's integration in the politics stuff is the weakest part of the script. It's hard cause in the book you can just tell but in a lakorn you have to show. The lakorn does have way more politics. In the book, they can just say this and this happened but the lakorn chose to show how it played out onscreen. So they kind of sacrificed Kade's character to make that happen.

Honestly, they have a lot to thank for in the actors. It's not just their acting ability but also the chemistry between every cast member is off the charts.

wuzhangs

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi neighbour haha!
I would have to blame Singaporean TV for not exposing me to lakorn any earlier. I grew up with so many countries' dramas on TV, but lakorn never seemed to be an option.
Well when was 9-10 years old one of our tv channel did played some ch7 lakorns like so sanaeha, mae ai sae eun orz so i was more or less exposed quite early

Hi Wuzhangs, fancy that! We're close!! My immediate question is - you & Milquety - you both understand Thai? Because everyone's talking about the slow boat to China according to Khun P and it's kind of frustrating Ep 14 is no subs
I could catch some words but nope i dont understand Thai. The lo sam pao was explained by someone hahaha

milquety

和泡泡一样佛系的迷妹
You guys, no worries, all the questions we have about Date's "french kissing" skills are gonna be the same ones nosy Kade has! lol. We still get a morning after scene! And to me the morning after scene is better than the wedding night. The wedding night requires too much imagination apart from the the Lo sam pao.
Gosh!! We do?? I'm looking forward! Because I agree with you too - morning after scenes are better!

Book Kade keeps a running commentary in her head. But it doesn't come off as obnoxious cause it's all in her head and no one hears or responds to it (except the reader lol). But you can't do that in a lakorn cause how weird would that be to be hearing Kade's thoughts 24/7. Also then none of the side characters would get as much to do as they have in the lakorn. You know this was one of my worries once I finished the book was how they were going to work Kade's thoughts onscreen. I don't think they did it successfully.

I've always said Kade's integration in the politics stuff is the weakest part of the script. It's hard cause in the book you can just tell but in a lakorn you have to show. The lakorn does have way more politics. In the book, they can just say this and this happened but the lakorn chose to show how it played out onscreen. So they kind of sacrificed Kade's character to make that happen.

Honestly, they have a lot to thank for in the actors. It's not just their acting ability but also the chemistry between every cast member is off the charts.
I see, thanks for the insights to the book again! Though I thought she could always be shown *whispering* or do a monologue instead of like....saying out loud? Haha. I think any of those would have worked - but it seems like the lakorn writer intentionally made it for to speak audibly enough for other people around her to hear her. So the effect of speaking in her head/privately/softly v. out loud is super different - because then it would affect what is the consequence. My best guess to rationalise her behaviour is probably an indirect way for everyone around her to know that she isn't the good ol' Karakade from their era/world - without Kade ever having to confess explicitly?

I believe there's always a way around that. But I appreciate they acted out historical events - I actually found them fascinating, but then of course, they should be done with a purpose and significance to the story on the whole.

Yesss, they really are the integral factor in the lakorn's success.

Last edited:

hdee

sarNie Juvenile
@milquety
Actually I was not talking about time jumps.....but some scenes that were sequenced one after another. There was just something about them that didn't feel right...some of them felt misplaced... some were too long...some were cut off without smooth transition...and some started from the middle...things like this starts to effect the story telling after a time.....
But I also agree with you and @jeanie1 the writing changed a bit during the transition from book to screen...as did Kade's character..... Kade we saw on screen seems to have changed a lot from the book. When in book she might be sensible and aware of the consequences her knowledge of future will bring....she was smart enough to have kept the secrets of the future to herself....whereas in the show her speaking out loud made her character seem a bit silly for doing the same mistakes again and again...when she had no proper answer to give. I even thought they could've solved that issue with a single sentence. There was a scene when Got's character asked her if she has sixth sense....I felt she should have answered yes...that the moon mantra gave her some kind of foresight into future. That would have stopped all questions later on. Or the monologues in her head should've been kept in...that would've been much better than the repeat scenes of everyone asking Kade how she knew....I would have liked to see her silently ruminating over the events in her head...and contemplating over how or if she should interfere with history....like we were shown for a few scenes...but without the talking aloud part.
Another thing I feel is usually when adapting from a book something's do get lost in transition....there is also addition of new scenes to make the story more dramatic for screen...like the addition of political drama into this show. If the writer of the book and the screen writer are not the same this will of course create a patch work effect..like you said.....which is why I think the screenwriters should have worked together with the book author to make the addition of new scenes more natural. Just watch Nirvana In Fire....the book was great but there was a lot left out in the drama...there were atleast 4-5 different threads of storyline being narrated together....but it never felt incohesive coz the author helped write the screen play herself.
One thing I'll admit though ....the romance in this drama is the most well done, well put together and well shot portion of this entire drama....or any Thai drama I have watched ever.

Last edited:

pangiaxiong

sarNie Adult
I am officially in love with Bell's booty. It's so perfect. LOL
I paused at 3:31 to watch her touch her Por Date but I can't take my eyes away from her booty. OMG.

This girl is going to make me go to temple to do merits like in BPS for good karma and now adding to go to the gym to do squats. :risas3::risas3::risas3:
Hahahah, now that you mentioned it! I can't stop looking too. Bella's booty!! she loves to work out a lot so I'm not surprise that she got a nice booty.

Deb Dwner

sarNie Egg
Count me in too. I'll probably stop watching anything for at least 2 months before I get back to dramaland. Then I'll probably just watch Chinese or Korean...no thai lakorn for a while b/c the impact of BPS is just too much.
I look forward to watching Neung Dao Fah Diew (SP?) with Taew, J. Jirayu and other actors. It takes places 60+ years after BPS and it looks interesting.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
For me personally,

Con #5, unnecessary dramatic background music during political scenes. :risas3:
Omg my thoughts exactly!! You have that beautiful mellow instrumental and then all of a sudden. Dum dum dum!!!! Ruins the mood.

Catching up on the episode and everything is great, but I just have to say--Oh Kade...love ya girl, but sometimes ya need to keep the comments to yourself. Like when Master was like whatever happens, will happen and she repeated him. All eyes went to her afterwards....:facepalm: How many times have you gotten yourself in this situation? Does Kade in the book constantly do this too? Or is this like how the director/screenwriter loves adding repeat scenes (ex: 2 instead of 1 whipping scene, scenes of Falcon barging into Malee's shop to threaten her..I swear the lines were relatively the same).

She calls attention to herself a bit too often. Everyone always asks how does she know, but obviously she can't say why and she can't reveal anything either. Yet suddenly, the converstation always gets dropped like a hot potato. I'm just amazed that hasn't gotten her in even deeper trouble. It's surprising how no one is demanding more from her-- I think the only person who had a serious reaction from her comments was Khun Lek.

Then again, maybe they just think she's a crazy person. :confused0:

No doubt this is one of my favorite dramas still and no drama is perfect.
Haha. Right. Like girl, enough already.
Seriously his smile. Can't get enough of it.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
So I’m rewatching the make out scene and realized....how does Khun P’ Por Date know how the French kiss? Is it cause he saw while he was in France? Or does he know cause a French woman taught him!!!! :mad::BangHead:

Lmao I would totally ruin the mood just to ask my man that
I think he sees them!!! Can we just say it's not through first hand experience. Hahaha.

I'm lost again. Hahahahaaa. :risas3:
Basically we're talking about the incoherency of the lakorn and um still talking about Date's French kiss and Lo Sam Pao. Hahahaha.

Pope is too dreamy for me as Por Date but I love a good eye candy like Got. hahaha You can have Got, I'll keep my Por Date. :risas3::risas3:
Um actually they're both mine. Hahaha. I'm pretty greedy.

I think the biggest reason for the non-cohesive episodes is the editing, mostly. The writing in itself is well done only because they had a source material to go back to. But the way some scenes have been placed has felt abrupt from the start....some scenes had no proper build up...Some scenes were cut off with no followup ..Some other scenes were build up to be important but then they fizzled out and were never went back to again. Hence the feeling we are getting that somethings missing. That's why I think if you are adapting from a book you need to know what to keep and what to omit.....the creators of this show have kind of screwed this up a bit. Some very important scenes were left out. And if you go back and read what scenes were left out you will understand those were scenes that would've created a natural narrative flow for the events in later episodes....

@bold ...Date always needs a little nudge to trigger his feelings.....and Kade will always be the one to push his limits i think.....
I was watching the kiss scene for nth time and suddenly this thought came into my head.....I wish there was a scene where Date gets upset after realizing Kade is a good kisser and finally blows up and asks Kade how she knows how to french kiss....did she practice it with that Reungrit fellow???:risas3:
True that! Darn editors! Haha. Jk. Jk. I still love them.
Omg I would love that. And then Kade be like why you jealous of a person who's ordained for life??? Hahaha.

It's a lot of information about the lakorn, like descriptions of the characters, places that they filmed and how popular the lakorn is. Then they also have a gallery of every single characters etc. It's really nice. I put them in my bathroom so you know...when I go do my business I can read it..just kidding haha

oh, well thank you dear! I'm really happy you liked the Manee Yard Fah one. The korean song is beautiful and emotional but maybe just a bit weird at first w/ the lakorn? lol

THANK YOU MA'AM!:icon12::icon12::icon12::icon12::icon12::icon12:
Awe. I want it so bad now!! Haha. I actually want posters very bad!!

Count me in too. I'll probably stop watching anything for at least 2 months before I get back to dramaland. Then I'll probably just watch Chinese or Korean...no thai lakorn for a while b/c the impact of BPS is just too much.
Me too.
I'll probably finish all of Pope's lakorns and the go off to catch some Kdrama or Cdrama stuff. Hahah.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I am officially in love with Bell's booty. It's so perfect. LOL
I paused at 3:31 to watch her touch her Por Date but I can't take my eyes away from her booty. OMG.

This girl is going to make me go to temple to do merits like in BPS for good karma and now adding to go to the gym to do squats. :risas3::risas3::risas3:
Hahahha. She does have a very curvy body. I feel like she's soo skinny, but she looks sooo nice. Haha. She knows how to keep her muscles intact and not appear bony .

Nope I don't

Yeaaah there are definitely a lot of time jumps! But I'm aware that the time jumps are not exactly why I find the storywriting incohesive. I actually appreciated that we had time jumps because it cuts us a lot of time, and get us straight to the point where we really need - because I'm super impatient so I think it was also a good contributing factor why I never really got bored/restless with this drama :risas3: I think they still controlled there at within an acceptable extent though I have to agree it's a bit of a big jump for most of them!

What I meant by incohesive is really more in terms of the storywriting, at least what I feel personally. While editing plays a part in storytelling, it's still based a lot on the writing. It's true that they have a strong source material to work on - but I also believe that writing for adaptations is a whole different art on its own. Bad writers are still bad writers when they have strong source material to adapt from because they can't translate it to script for a visual medium - I've seen so many screwed up gloriously even with strong source material.

Of course, even though BPS is still far from screwing up - they've done some good job, but it's still a bit patchy. Like what some of you guys here who have read the book have talked about, there are a lot of depth which has been lost from the book as well. And possibly due to the nature of the story's message/concept itself - it feels like everything is already destined and fixed - so whatever the characters do, it feels like they're inconsequential. They have problems (mostly the history parts) but the point was also that they can't change history - so you don't really actually have a problem. And that goes against how stories are traditionally driven by problems and changes. Maybe there's a lack of an overarching problem which its outcome is determined by the actions of the characters. Also, there are strange flaws in writings like what @Dearest mentioned about Karakade's behaviour.

Not intending to nitpick here, of course. But since we're on the topic, I delved a little deeper. :) (And of course, we're all here because we are fond of the drama and thus reading so much into things~)

Hahahah!! Weeeell he needs to know Reungrit is essentially him so how could he be jealous of himself ;):risas3:
Keep these insights coming! Haha.
I like reading people's insights and critics on lakorns. It makes the lakorn feel important and not just some random show.

Gosh!! We do?? I'm looking forward! Because I agree with you too - morning after scenes are better!

I see, thanks for the insights to the book again! Though I thought she could always be shown *whispering* or do a monologue instead of like....saying out loud? Haha. I think any of those would have worked - but it seems like the lakorn writer intentionally made it for to speak audibly enough for other people around her to hear her. So the effect of speaking in her head/privately/softly v. out loud is super different - because then it would affect what is the consequence. My best guess to rationalise her behaviour is probably an indirect way for everyone around her to know that she isn't the good ol' Karakade from their era/world - without Kade ever having to confess explicitly?

I believe there's always a way around that. But I appreciate they acted out historical events - I actually found them fascinating, but then of course, they should be done with a purpose and significance to the story on the whole.

Yesss, they really are the integral factor in the lakorn's success.
Yeah I personally feel like the politics is soo out of the loop and random and not affiliated with Kade at all. Sure she's acquainted with it due to Date and her knowledge on history, but even so it doesn't blend well. Like even Date was not an important political figure as per the lakorn. If they had kept Date's brother as an essential part of the storyline then the politics would make better sense to be connected with Kade. Do I make sense?? Haha.
@milquety
Actually I was not talking about time jumps.....but some scenes that were sequenced one after another. There was just something about them that didn't feel right...some of them felt misplaced... some were too long...some were cut off without smooth transition...and some started from the middle...things like this starts to effect the story telling after a time.....
But I also agree with you and @jeanie1 the writing changed a bit during the transition from book to screen...as did Kade's character..... Kade we saw on screen seems to have changed a lot from the book. When in book she might be sensible and aware of the consequences her knowledge of future will bring....she was smart enough to have kept the secrets of the future to herself....whereas in the show her speaking out loud made her character seem a bit silly for doing the same mistakes again and again...when she had no proper answer to give. I even thought they could've solved that issue with a single sentence. There was a scene when Got's character asked her if she has sixth sense....I felt she should have answered yes...that the moon mantra gave her some kind of foresight into future. That would have stopped all questions later on. Or the monologues in her head should've been kept in...that would've been much better than the repeat scenes of everyone asking Kade how she knew....I would have liked to see her silently ruminating over the events in her head...and contemplating over how or if she should interfere with history....like we were shown for a few scenes...but without the talking aloud part.
Another thing I feel is usually when adapting from a book something's do get lost in transition....there is also addition of new scenes to make the story more dramatic for screen...like the addition of political drama into this show. If the writer of the book and the screen writer are not the same this will of course create a patch work effect..like you said.....which is why I think the screenwriters should have worked together with the book author to make the addition of new scenes more natural. Just watch Nirvana In Fire....the book was great but there was a lot left out in the drama...there were atleast 4-5 different threads of storyline being narrated together....but it never felt incohesive coz the writer helped write the screen play herself.
One thing I'll admit though ....the romance in this drama is the most well done, well put together and well shot portion of this entire drama....or any Thai drama I have watched ever.
Agree agree and YES, completely AGREE!! HAHAHA.

pangiaxiong

sarNie Adult
Hahahha. She does have a very curvy body. I feel like she's soo skinny, but she looks sooo nice. Haha. She knows how to keep her muscles intact and not appear bony .
I actually don't think Bella so skinny unless Pope other costars, example Diana. Or soo skinny is like Margi, that girl need to eat more because her arms/legs are too skinny.

hdee

sarNie Juvenile
I actually don't think Bella so skinny unless Pope other costars, example Diana. Or soo skinny is like Margi, that girl need to eat more because her arms/legs are too skinny.
Nope Bella definitely is not skinny...she is toned...her arms have some muscle...her legs too.....I think I saw some abs on her too in some pics.

Dearest

恋の予感