Case of pirated Japanese anime

Nameless

N i n j a
Some news to share.

Italian police raid firms in first European case of pirated Japanese anime

ROME
-- Italian police authorities have raided three stores in Rome and Bologna in an investigation into pirated Japanese anime DVDs, and seized about 400 pirated titles, it has been learned.

The case marks the first time authorities have exposed a case of the pirating of Japanese anime in Europe.

Japanese anime is popular in Italy, but the stores involved had reportedly been selling the pirated copies at the same price as genuine copies and raking in huge profits. Local police are reportedly investigating the businesses on suspicion that they produced the pirated copies themselves. They are also reportedly being investigated on suspicion of tax evasion.

Among the seized copies were popular titles such as "New Getter Robo," "Hinotori," "Naruto," and "Mazinger."

In October 2004, officials at the Association of Copyright for Computer Software received a report that pirated DVDs were circulating in large numbers. After confirming the report, a complaint by six companies including Kodansha and Shueisha was made. Italian authorities had been investigating the case since last year.

The main business involved had reportedly sold genuine copies of Japanese anime in the past, but began selling pirated copies imported from Hong Kong in 2002. The pirated copies were packaged in the same way as regular products, and between about 20,000 and 30,000 copies were sold each month for about 25 euros (roughly 3,500 yen) each. Titles sold at this business and other businesses being investigated reportedly accounted for over 90 percent of all pirated copies on the Italian market, as well as 60 percent of all titles that include genuine products.

Estimated earnings from the illegal sales were as much as 900,000 euros (about 130 million yen) a year.

Television broadcasts of Japanese anime started becoming popular in Italy in about 1980, and the video and DVD market began expanding in the 1990s. In 2001, 60 titles dubbed in Italian were sold in a month. Over the past few years, over 30 titles, including "Captain Tsubasa," "Doraemon" and "Detective Conan" have been shown on television.

The Association of Copyright for Computer Software represents 313 firms involved in producing anime, film, music, game software and similar products. The association asks police to conduct investigations if copyright violations are uncovered. (Mainichi)

source : http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/entertainmen...0et015000c.html

akanin

sarNie Elites
Oh my...this is interesting...~! :ph34r: People always trying to make profit, this is what happens when you get stingy! :lmao: This might effect fansubbers too...no?

Nameless

N i n j a
akanin said:
Oh my...this is interesting...~! :ph34r: People always trying to make profit, this is what happens when you get stingy! :lmao: This might effect fansubbers too...no?
[post="102783"][/post]​

It might or might not. First of all, punks deserve it. But like everything else, people would do anything to make money.

SunStar

sarNie Elites
yeah... fansubbers are doing it purely for the fans... it's those corrupted, greedy fans that try to make profit from it... like all those poor quality from ebay for cheap prices... geez... i'm sooo disappointed i wasted my money on that...