Bringing family to the states

ahveejah

sarNie Egg
I need ya'lls advice on bringing my cousin to the states. I did some research and found out that I can only sponser my immediate family. Mycousin is finishing up her BBA in Cambodia and she is super intelligent. I believe she has the potential to get very far in life. However, I believe she would have a better chance for a better life here in the United States. I was born and raised here in the United States. Both my parents are US citizens. My parents run a donut business that is doing great. I, myself, have a stable job with the municipal government. My income alone can support all my family members. I read somewhere that income also plays a factor of whether or not you can bring someone in the states. Some people I've talked to told me to get someone here from the States to marry her and bring her over. However, I really don't want to resort to that. I want her to be able to come here with her head up high. I mean no disrespect to people who did get here by means of marriage. I understand that you have make sacrifices to attain what you want. I just don't want my cousin to feel that she had to exchange her entire life for a chance to come to America. Can she apply for some other kind of visa to come over here? Is there anything I can do for her? How stringent are the laws over there in Cambodia in terms of emmigration? Please, please advise!

russe

sarNie Adult
maybe she can get a student visa and find someone she can love to marry to stay here.

solin

sarNie Adult
I am not american but my brother has searched some informations about immigration for USA few years ago for his intership there and he said me that it's more easy to immigrate if you are a student and have diplomas.
Just to say that the idea of a student visa is not bad at all !

ahveejah

sarNie Egg
If she did apply for a student Visa, will she be able to stay here permanently? Also, I've heard of something called working green card or something of that sort. Anyone had any experience with this?

none3

sarNie Hatchling
Truly, the best advice is to consult with a professional Immigration Lawyer--(a khmer rep. if possible). Consultations are usually free, you don't have to pay upfront. However, if what you say is true about your income..then you could easily afford a lawyer to do all the necessary run around. I truly believe sticking to the law is the best solution in the long run...hope that helped!!!!!! Good luck and drop by to give us some news!!!!!!! ;)

ahveejah

sarNie Egg
I thought about getting a lawyer too but I just don't know of a good one. Is there one that you guys know of? I want to know all my options before going to a lawyer. That way, I can know enough to argue and be wrong about it :D . My grandmother's brother is a church goer (I'm buddhist) and he said that one way to expedite the process is to become a member of the church over in Cambodia. I may be gullible, but I am not stupid! He also said that there is a ten year wait list to bring siblings over. I thought about getting my dad to bring his brother over and then he in turn can bring over his kids....but ten years....blah.....I think I might go the student visa route. If she finds someone she loves here, then she was meant to live in the states. If not, she was meant to stay in Cambodia. Thanks very much for all the insight. I will keep you guys posted.

te_1_n_only_me

sarNie Egg
I thought about getting a lawyer too but I just don't know of a good one. Is there one that you guys know of? I want to know all my options before going to a lawyer. That way, I can know enough to argue and be wrong about it :D . My grandmother's brother is a church goer (I'm buddhist) and he said that one way to expedite the process is to become a member of the church over in Cambodia. I may be gullible, but I am not stupid! He also said that there is a ten year wait list to bring siblings over. I thought about getting my dad to bring his brother over and then he in turn can bring over his kids....but ten years....blah.....I think I might go the student visa route. If she finds someone she loves here, then she was meant to live in the states. If not, she was meant to stay in Cambodia. Thanks very much for all the insight. I will keep you guys posted.

the monk thing is true because my dad help my grandma's friend bring her monk nephew to the state, and he is living here now. I think it took about 6 months to 1 yrs (not sure)

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
There are so many cases and stories of how people in Cambodia were able to come here to the US (not talking about during the refugee immigration period).

One of the reason why people choose the marriage or fake marriage is because it speeds up the process. The person in the US goes to the government and ask them to assist in the paper work to send it over to the Cambodian officials. With this, Cambodia government can't really reject. One of the benefits of becoming a US citizen is sponsoring your immediate family or spouses overseas so they have to grant that.

I have a friend in Cambodia who have tried for so many years now to come to the states but unsuccessful. Like your cousin he is highly education and speaks, read and write English fluently, heck I think speaks perfect sentence than me LOL. Even though he works with Foreigners from different countries and can afford his own living and such he still can't come. The Government in Cambodia make it extremely hard for those who wants to come to the US or out of that country for even just a short visit. Why? One of the reason is because they fear that their people will not return. (Stupid i think. If home is a good and safe place to be, who would want to not return? You think this will make them think about reorganizing? I haven't seen that happend yet). Anyhow, so in order to be able to leave the country for a visit (not doing the fake or real marriage) the person must have put lots of collateral. This is why you mostly see the weathly ones get to come visit the US often and very easy. They know that those people have assets back in Cambodia that they must return to claim or take care. Otherwise, it will get turn over to the government. My friend had the money to come and start a living in the states but he doesn't not have any assets to use as an insurance to go back.

Someone suggested the student Visa, it is an option but again might be difficult without the asset stuff. (Sound like our Government is a god digger?) Anyhow, if she ever gets to the states and allow only a period of time to stay, then the pressure is on. The clock start ticking probably as soon as she know that she can leave Cambodia to sort of get to know someone in the potential of getting marry. Because this is probably the only way she can stay in the states permanently.

Basically either way you look at it - marriage whether real or fake, might just be the only reason why she is able to stay in the states. I might be wrong but according to the various stories I've heard.

If you were to go get consultation from lawyer, I would think that an American rep would be best since they know what is expected or what both countries are seeking. Also, might able to avoid mixing Business with Pleasure like with some Khmer reps I've heard.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Wow, I want to bring my cousin over too from Laos. But, this process is difficult & I'm poor. I know of some Lao celebrities who somehow manage to say for a long time. Maybe after coming as a tourist, they decided to get work visas. Idk. I wished it were easier to bring people here.

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
I think the might be the main reason why the US restricting sponsorship is responsibility. No matter how rice or how much documentations you have to provide to the US that you will take care and be responsible, it STILL WILL COST THE US something. For example if the person you sponsor ends up going to work, or applying for healthcare, or some sort of financial aid. And then the unexpected stuff like crime and accidents.. I mean not that the person coming is bad or anything..perhaps they are just looking ahead. I don't know for sure.. just a guess ehhehee

The fact that they make it very hard to get into the US makes others want to be here and stay here even more.

stquick

sarNie Egg
I had a family member that came here through a student visa. However, once she graduated, she had to go back to Cambodia. It's until then she got married with someone here and was able to stay here permanently.

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
I had a family member that came here through a student visa. However, once she graduated, she had to go back to Cambodia. It's until then she got married with someone here and was able to stay here permanently.
This is usually the route many people take... it's getting out (finding ways out) of Cambodia that is tough... once here, do a fake or real marriage, or have a baby and such..