Boran Lakorn V.S Comtemporary Lakorn

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
This thread will be just a comparison between boran and contemporary lakorns. It can be whatever you noticed or ever wondered about the two.

For me, one of the things I've always noticed was that anyone who's ever played pra'ek or nang'ek in the boran lakorns always ended up playing evil roles in contemporary lakorns...especially the girls. As the guys, they usually end up playing really minor roles...not even the main roles that fall under nang ek or pra'ek. When i see that, especially for the girls, i'm like OMG, why is my aom or whoever playing evil in here! for example, recently, i just watched aom play an evil AUNT role in a pinky lakorn!!! she wasn't just evil, she played an AUNT!!! she aint old, dude! although she did look like she had a major nose surgery..but that's besides the point. LOL

the only people i've ever seen play nang ek or pra ek in both the contemporary or boran lakorn was kob, the lead guy from gor pet jed see (he was pra ek in contemporary ONCE), then likit and tik k (but this one doesn't really count cuz it's not thai boran...it's arabic-based).

do you guys notice this...for those of you who watch both boran and contemporary?

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
well the n'ek for pla boo tong "min" <-- i think that's her name.. is having a lakorn with this one p'ek i forgot who.. was it new? hmm i'm not sure anymore..

but yea.. she'll actually be n'ek.. ehehe.. she's quite pretty.. but i just don't know how she acts like since i havent watched pla boo tong..

mia07

Introvert
Maybe that's just how Ch.7 is - I noticed that in old lakorns from the 80s as well because the na'eks and pra'eks that were in borans are only side characters in modern lakorns.

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
well the n'ek for pla boo tong "min" <-- i think that's her name.. is having a lakorn with this one p'ek i forgot who.. was it new? hmm i'm not sure anymore..

but yea.. she'll actually be n'ek.. ehehe.. she's quite pretty.. but i just don't know how she acts like since i havent watched pla boo tong..
omg i haven't seen pla boo thong either. she's going to be nang ek in a modern lakorn?? awesome.

dangit, i never paid attention to the people and their associations to channels! if that is the case, u made a very good narrowing point! haha

flowersphere

sarNie Egg
-I feel like there are a lot of groups/people who subbed modern lakorn, but not many boran. is it because boran are longer?

-boran always have princes and princess (why don't they do one with ordinary people/life)

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
haha yeh some people probably think it will be a waste of time to sub. super long...and some of it not worth it. lol

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
yep borans are super long and some bits arent necessary....
a boran with ordinary people would not be classify as a boran nemore...boran is a fantasy genre...that has to feature a king,queen,prince,princess etc....
and MIN is playing in an upcoming lakorn with TLE THANNOPOL... same here something about her bothers me ....like she tries too hard...in pla boo thong...and when she crys and speaks at the same time its annoying....

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
i think she meant ordinary people like set in the old time period, but like from the village or magical place or something...not necessarily of royal blood. right?? did what i say make sense? lol

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
yep buh it has to feature one of the above for it to be a boran otherwise its just a lakorn and there are lakorns like that set in the old time period...boran is a period lakorn meaning set back in the days of kings and queens, kingdoms and mythical creatures such as yuk...giants, kinare...bird people etc....

fun

Expired Sarnie
i think the above person meant why cant the character in boran be ordinary people. there can still be kings, queens, princesses, etc but why not base the boran on ordinary people.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Is the crocodile boran...forgot the name based on commoners? And the only mythical thing about it was the crocodiles? I didn't watch it fully, so I don't remember if it had kings, etc.

I have a hard time subbing modern lakorns, so subbing borans would be even harder! Maybe I will try it one day.

mia07

Introvert
So I was talking to a friend about why modern lakorns are better than borans and we debated non-stop. So what do you guys think? Why are modern lakorns more popular than boran lakorns? I know it's better and doesn't drag, but why can't borans be as popular as well? Is it because of money that's why they can't afford to make it better or is it just that greediness has gotten to them? Directors and script-writers play a big role, but is it because good production demands too much money that they can only get and spend what they can afford? Same goes for actors and actresses, too. :scratchhead2:

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I started off watching borans LOL. They were great! I just think that borans have gotten too repetitive, nothing new. I see the same actors/actresses and when they introduce someone new, there's a bunch of other leads who take screen time. Plus there's a bunch of random singing in the middle of the boran. That's a turn-off for me. Sure I like the OST, but c'mon...in the middle of the drama (*if it were a musical lakorn, then alright, but in a boran?). Another turn off is how long it takes before the p'nangs turn into adults. Does it really have to be 10+ epis before they're adults??

mia07

Introvert
I started off watching borans as well and I loved it. Even when they make new borans, it's still not as good, i.e., Tukathathong. Some modern lakorns are remakes as well, but it's that they are able to find good actors and actresses for the roles to make the lakorn good plus, good production team. So, if borans were to do that, would the remakes be as good, too, or is it that the Thai productions prefer to promote lakorns over borans? Lots of questions... :scratchchin:

aznsao9

Ky the Star
hmmm i've never noticed that before, many it's because i don't really recognize much of them or don't see them often.
and i prefer both modern lakorn and boran, but it really depends on the story line and the actors and actresses in it.
i'm watching the 1994 bla boo tong right now, and i'm really loving it, but yeah i really wanted to know when the kids would grow up soon, and it was draggy a bit and had some unnecessary parts, but for some reason, i enjoyed it nevertheless. as for the new version, it's like 78 episodes... what's up with that? i don't think i'll be watching it anytime soon.
anyways, for modern lakorns, i think they're pretty long themselves and i don't really watch any of them all the way through. the only one i've ever finished was rabum duang dao without skipping anything, because that one was more interesting to watch and just had a good plot to it, and i haven't found anything after that to actually go and watch fully.
well, it would depend on people and a lot of modern ones are just more popular and features many actors and actresses again and again then the boran does... well that's what i think.