Australia to take in hmong refugees

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
Australia to take 200 Lao refugees from Thailand
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer says Australia plans to give refuge to 200 of about 8,000 Lao ethnic Hmong refugees currently in Thailand.
"We'll take about 200 of them at this stage," Mr Downer told reporters in Bangkok when asked how many Hmongs, an ethnic minority who fought alongside America in the Vietnam War, Australia planned to take.
"Whether we'll take them more, that remains to be seen."
Mr Downer, who made a brief stopover in the Thai capital to meet his counterpart, says Australia will start relocating the Hmongs after the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) had completed the legal process on them.
Australia was one of four Western countries that pledged to repatriate 153 Hmong refugees, due last month to be deported to Laos, where rights groups say they face persecution.
Before suspending their attempt to deport the Hmong from the border town of Nong Khai on Tuesday (local time), police fired tear gas into an immigration detention cell to try to force out men and boys barricaded inside, Amnesty International said.
Bangkok then halted the deportation, saying it had received assurances from the United States, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands that they would take the refugees.
Apart from the 153, a further 8,000 Hmong were living in Thailand, and were being treated at the moment as victims of human trafficking, Thai officials said.
It remained unclear how many of them would be repatriated to third countries and how many more the other three western countries would take.
Human rights groups accused Laos of waging a 30-year campaign of vengeance against Hmong guerrillas still hiding out in the forests. Lao denies the accusations.
-Reuters

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
What are you lost about?

Here is a link for you below for history lesson. But summary... Hmongs have no home and this article states resettlement for the homeless to Australia.

Who doesn't want you? Laos definitely doesn't want Hmongs... considering there was a war. Thailand has been a refugee camp since forever and cannot afford to keep the camps open forever. So while Thailand took Hmongs in, Thailand is not a 1st world country and cannot afford it. So Australia is taking some Hmongs in. Hmongs are being dispersed all over to other nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

puppylov

sarNie Adult
i kno that Hmong people not have a native land. Basically, they r disperse throughout. I dun kno the hx, but i wonder y dun they have a land to live. I kinda feel bad for the Hmong people.

mly

sarNie Hatchling
i kno that Hmong people not have a native land. Basically, they r disperse throughout. I dun kno the hx, but i wonder y dun they have a land to live. I kinda feel bad for the Hmong people.
I don't know if you are Hmong, but don't feel bad for us. We don't need anyone's pity. Even if we don't have a country to call our own, we are still a very strong people. They hate us because they are afraid of us. Our ancestors in China fought for their freedom, our grandparents and parents in Laos/Vietnam fought for their freedom, now it's our turn to help our country that we adopted fight for our freedom! So we don't need anyone to pity us, we just want to be heard that there are REAL people still in the jungle of Laos, fighting for their lives because the Lao govenment is still at war with them.

lala209

sarNie Hatchling
WHAT???!!! YOU SERIOUSLY NEVER HEARD OF NETHERLAND??? IT'S IN THE EUROPEAN PART OF THE COUNTRY. I'M GLAD THEY'RE TAKING IN HMONG PEOPLE TO THEIR COUNTRY. AFTER I WATCH THAT VIDEO ON YOUTUBE, I FEEL LIKE ANY OTHER PLACE IS BETTER THEN HAVING HMONG PEOPLE SUFFER IN THE JUNGLE OF LOAS.

1-lUv3-y0u

Sticky Rice
Wow so basically all the hmong is all over the world now that's pretty amazing...talk bout aussie I have cousins down there :D