Anyone here know how to read or write

Keomany

Music.heal.All
hey guy im wondering if any of your school had a class for laos people...cuz we dont..and im piss i want to know how to read and write

Bou

sarNie Adult
omg...i went to laos school for like 2 yrs wen i was younger....and i didnt learn a single thing grr pissed me off bc i took all dat time wakin up early and goin to skewl not learning anythin...wat a bad teacher well idont think she was bad she was juss too young too prolly around 22 at that time........how sad because i wanan b able to read and write too u no what i mean...bc evrytime i go and rent thai movies i haft ask the owner to read for me how sad.....but theres this site that i go to that helps u read and learn thai...altho its not laos but its fun...if u r intrested ill give u the site...i forgot who gave me the site but who ever it is thanks!

Rakniran

When i was around 10 i think. I went to laos school for two days then i quit. They dont teach you how to read or write in lao. They just speak lao to you and teach you how to behave in laos culture way,whice thats our parent job. No need to go to school for it. It was a waste of my time.
And i think is a social way to get to know all the lao peoples around your age tahts why they have it.

I heard that if,you go to laos school at the lao temple. Those monk will teach you how to read/write. Is better that way.

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
i know how to read and write but i read really slow cuz i'm not used to reading it all the time. i learned from my dad a bit cuz he bought us this lao book and after that i taught myself how to read cuz i really wanted to. if u wanna learn, the temple always seems to have classes that teach folks to read and learn about lao culture.

the temple were i live is looking for people to take the lao class to teach reading, writing and culture. you should check out the temples near ur place if there are any

Keomany

Music.heal.All
Bou said:
bc evrytime i go and rent thai movies i haft ask the owner to read for me how sad.....but theres this site that i go to that helps u read and learn thai...altho its not laos but its fun...if u r intrested ill give u the site...i forgot who gave me the site but who ever it is thanks!
[post="26227"][/post]​
hahah i get the same problem i know what u mean...yea i want the site...i just hate this becaue by the time im done learning laos ill be old..i wish i learn sooner

Bou

sarNie Adult
i no im almost 19 and i cant even write my own name in laos...how freakin sad lol...but i wanna learn how ...but noone hs the time of day to teach me so i hafta find a way to teach myself...but here is the site.. www.learningthai.com .... its fun haha trust me...good luck have fun!

Vanida

Save World Save Life
Bou said:
i no im almost 19 and i cant even write my own name in laos...how freakin sad lol...but i wanna learn how ...but noone hs the time of day to teach me so i hafta find a way to teach myself...but here is the site.. www.learningthai.com .... its fun haha trust me...good luck have fun!
[post="28367"][/post]​

don't worry u not the only one who can't even write your own name is Laos that is sad but for me not cause i came to USA age 3 so i didn't even go to any school in thailand and i didn't learn to read or write in Laos either :lol: oh well at least u can speak Laos the sad and dumb part is a person who can't even read,write or speak their own freaken language :blink: :eek:

Keomany

Music.heal.All
Keomany said:
hahah i get the same problem i know what u mean...yea i want the site...i just hate this becaue by the time im done learning laos ill be old..i wish i learn sooner
[post="26528"][/post]​
same here

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
Learning to read and write Laos and Thai is on my to-do list before I die.

Yeah. . . I feel totally sad. Can't even read and write my first language. Came to the states when I was around 4 or 5. Sometimes I feel isolated because some Lao people would say I'm too "Americanized". And the area of Chicago that I live in doesn't have that many Lao people.

Keomany

Music.heal.All
u00htg2 said:
Learning to read and write Laos and Thai is on my to-do list before I die.

Yeah. . . I feel totally sad. Can't even read and write my first language. Came to the states when I was around 4 or 5. Sometimes I feel isolated because some Lao people would say I'm too "Americanized". And the area of Chicago that I live in doesn't have that many Lao people.
[post="33812"][/post]​
hahah same i started and got it done..then i lost it all on my senior year...with college and shit :shock:

dfemc

sarNie Adult
wowz...so inspiring to hear so many folks down to learn Laos. yeah it's wack that colleges don't provide for it, but that's what organizing is for, organize and petition y'all..u'll get it. or promote it through a Lao Club/Organization on ur campus.

pa sa lao is a beautiful language. i started learning to read it at age 4, but even then, it gets rusty if u don't practice. like the other person said, u do have to read it all the time to get use to it. with a little guidance from a few elders or ppl, u can definitely learn the language on ur own. just try to find books written in lao or drop by the temple to ask ajanh for some. if you are buddhist, one of the easiest and fastest ways to pick up pa sa lao is through learning the Buddhist scriptures, because they are composed of simple sounds.

if anyone needs any help, i can try to help u out with phonetic pronunciation, but u have to somehow post it in Lao. i'm still continuing to practice myself. :) i may be working on a site to learn lao, we'll see. ;)

goodluck to all the eager learners out there.

p.s. once u learn lao, thai will be much easier to learn. u could practically teach urself thai right after u get pa sa lao down.

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
yup they have a laotian organization @ Berkeley, but since the lao population is very small (like a handful) we called it laotian so that we could incorporate all the other ethnic minorities from laos.

the reason why they don't have lao language in universities is that there's not much of a demand for it and they probably don't get that many lao international transfer students either. the only way they'll give u a language class is there is constantly going to be a demand for the lang, otherwise they see it as a waste of resources.

dfemc: ur sig is really cool! i noticed on the otherasian collective u had a link to o-dub's website. it's soo funny cuz i took a class with him on Asian Americans in the media. was really cool!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
noiki said:
yup they have a laotian organization @ Berkeley, but since the lao population is very small (like a handful) we called it laotian so that we could incorporate all the other ethnic minorities from laos.

the reason why they don't have lao language in universities is that there's not much of a demand for it and they probably don't get that many lao international transfer students either. the only way they'll give u a language class is there is constantly going to be a demand for the lang, otherwise they see it as a waste of resources.

dfemc: ur sig is really cool! i noticed on the otherasian collective u had a link to o-dub's website. it's soo funny cuz i took a class with him on Asian Americans in the media. was really cool!
[post="47335"][/post]​
thnx noiki... it's definitely about supply and demands... such a capitalistic society aren't we? lol :lmao:

noiki: i'm glad u checkd out the otherasian collective...u should SUBMIT...and spread the word...i know u got good stuff under ur pen-woman-ship, deaune.. ;)

noungning

Heartless
sad to say... i don't know how to read or right lao... but i know how to read and write thai. its kinda hard to read lao tho many claims similarities... but i beg to differ. i learned thai from renting a video and memorizing the characters and pronounciation... kept on tryin to read thai magazines and i learned it within 3 months. i have a problem where if i really want to know something...i have to learn and know it... but its from alot of curiousity and obsession...if u really wanna do it u can do it...like typing too, downloaded the thai keyboard and memorized the location of the characters and started chatting with ppl on thai fan boards and it was a matter of being forced to type thai because they didn't know much of english.

Keomany

Music.heal.All
yea I glad to see that a lot of people want to learn how to read and write (including myself) I dont know I wish they did offer threw my college but thinking about it it would interfer with english education too...

just like how i try to learn spanish when my english was not that well a lone...

but yes learning to read and write in lao is going to be a must when the time is right

thanks to everyone who encourage it important for us....

onahc

sarNie Elites
I can read lao and thai. I learn it from my parents when i was in high school over the summer break , but what's weird about it ,is i can't write. The letter looks like 1st grade level writing, ........My friend find that kinda funny....Trust me.. if you can read lao, thai comes pretty easy b/c they're similar...........

Keomany

Music.heal.All
onahc said:
I can read lao and thai. I learn it from my parents when i was in high school over the summer break , but what's weird about it ,is i can't write. The letter looks like 1st grade level writing, ........My friend find that kinda funny....Trust me.. if you can read lao, thai comes pretty easy b/c they're similar...........
[post="50506"][/post]​
I know what you mean..

the funny things is my friend say I write laos nicer then people from laos well the person she know...lol

Mdc

sarNie Egg
My elementery school use to offer laos student the opportunity to learn Laos. They don't anymore though. it was just for summer school..I went for two years and then they don't offer it anymore....I can't read or write laos but I can read and write my full name....I'm still trying to learn to read and write a little each week.

lido_kt

sarNie Hatchling
sad to say... i don't know how to read or right lao... but i know how to read and write thai. its kinda hard to read lao tho many claims similarities... but i beg to differ. i learned thai from renting a video and memorizing the characters and pronounciation... kept on tryin to read thai magazines and i learned it within 3 months. i have a problem where if i really want to know something...i have to learn and know it... but its from alot of curiousity and obsession...if u really wanna do it u can do it...like typing too, downloaded the thai keyboard and memorized the location of the characters and started chatting with ppl on thai fan boards and it was a matter of being forced to type thai because they didn't know much of english.
yeah me too it's really weird that i can read thai but i can't read lao i can't write anything though. I also have the same problem where if i relally want to know something i can't let it go until i get it. :mellow: