Anyone here know how to read or write

sabrinajenn

sarNie Juvenile
I only can read Lao a little.
Like little kid reading. lol
Its sad. And I only can read a little bit cause I taught myself Thai.
So I read Thai better than Lao.

SaoBee

sarNie Egg

I can read Lao more than i can write..i know that sounds a bit odd...but i have several lao books that teaches you how to pronounce the words and also gives the meanings of each word. I'm not sure where i actually bought this book but this one of my favorite one..I read occasionally because part of being "khone lao" is speaking and reading Lao...anyhow the name of the book is "Lao for Beginners" by Tatsuo Hoshino and Russell Marcus. Hope this help!!

jensen

sarNie Fansubber
I can read and write lao. I don't think it is that hard, maybe just for the beginning. I learnt it when i was very young, after learning how to read and write thai. Then i asked my mother to tell me how we spell the lao alphabet 'kor kai'... and i took a lao newspaper and then i began to learn myself...I was too slow for the reading and my mom always laughed at me, hahaha
I think with time and much work it is possible to learn how to write and read. Maybe going to Laos can help lol i dunno. I just come back from Laos where i stayed for six months, for me it helped me much to familiarize with the language every day.

I never learnt with books and there's no lao classes where i live, so everyone can manage.

Now i'm a lao-thai translator for courts, police and sometimes i translate english or french reports into lao writting. But i can't tell i'm 100% lao, cos when u go to Laos, u realize that ur speaking or writing is not the same, maybe because we left the country many years ago and that the language has changed. Now they use words which are similar to thai words. When i was there, the first month, people there told me 'hey you speak an old lao, a lao speaking before 1975, lol'...But living there made me improve it much lol but i know i still have to improve it.

If u guys need some help, u can pm me !

queeny_bee

sarNie Juvenile
how do you say

"Once upon a time..." in Laotian?

Can someone spell it out for me in Laotain? That would be great! Thanks!