A HMONG play about the war!

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse

Greetings everyone! This is Kang Vang from The Center for Hmong Arts and Talent (CHAT), and Team Chow Fa. I am writing to inform you guys about a restaging of a feature length play that I am involved with through CHAT. This play will run from March through April in Saint Paul, MN.

The play is called, "Hmong! CIA's Secret Army." This play was the FIRST professionally produced play EVER through The Minnesota Historic Theater in 1999. It was written by Lee Vang and Jamie Meyer. Now, we are bringing it back with an all new cast (including ME!!!)

This is a VERY romantic, sad, and action packed play that tells the story of our parents, and their parents, and the events that brought us here to America.

Please visit our website www.aboutchat.org for more information!

credit to hmongblog

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
It's just going to tell the bright side of the Hmong story how about the Laotian people part.. I bet you they won't show the Hmong cruel side.

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^of course, who would want to go see a play if they're the bad guys? that's something that is done in every movie/play.

amaymoua

sarNie Egg
vilasaeng said:
It's just going to tell the bright side of the Hmong story how about the Laotian people part.. I bet you they won't show the Hmong cruel side.
[post="68118"][/post]​

the play is from a view point of a hmong.. not lao... if you want a story told from your side.. than maybe you should write a play too and show it from the lao side...

like they said there's two side to every story.. but this is just telling from a hmong side

bill

sarNie Egg
I've seen the very old version of the play. That's cool that they are making a new version. Well I have to check my schedule to see if I could go but I would like to go.

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
amaymoua said:
the play is from a view point of a hmong.. not lao... if you want a story told from your side.. than maybe you should write a play too and show it from the lao side...
like they said there's two side to every story.. but this is just telling from a hmong side
[post="74711"][/post]​

No I won't be written any play showing my side. Because we're not looking for empathy. Because if there were to be a play from the Lao side then it would be another two side. The communist and the Lao Royal Government.

I would say their are 5 side to the story that cocern the Secret War...
One the Communist, Two the LAO Royal Government, Three Pao Shit Vang's army, Four the Innocent Hmong, Five the Innocent Laotian.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
From previous movies, they do show some bad hmongs...like the hmongs that betrayed their own people and helped the communist...

SMILE2MEH

sarNie Egg
HONESTLY I DIDN'T KNOW THAT HMONG PEOPLE HAD A BAD SIDE. BESIDES THAT FACT THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE A LAND OF THEIR OWN AND SOME OF THEM HAD TO DO WHATEVER IT WAS TO KEEP THEM SURVIVING (INCLUDING TURNING AGAINS EACH OTHER). MY OPINION. DON'T HATE!!!

beamie

sarNie Hatchling
dang...this is sweet.....i think i need drag my mom to this...hahaha.....she's always saying she wants me to she how much they struggled and all that stuff......i wanna go see it....cool........and KACE IS GONNA BE IN THERE!!! YIPPIE!!! hehehe....i'm a fan of Kace...hahaha....

amaymoua

sarNie Egg
vilasaeng said:
No I won't be written any play showing my side. Because we're not looking for empathy. Because if there were to be a play from the Lao side then it would be another two side. The communist and the Lao Royal Government.

I would say their are 5 side to the story that cocern the Secret War...
One the Communist, Two the LAO Royal Government, Three Pao Shit Vang's army, Four the Innocent Hmong, Five the Innocent Laotian.
[post="74937"][/post]​
I Agree GREATLY with you on this....

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
Did anyone go see this? I went yesterday for their opening night (free eggrolls! :D). I thought it was a pretty good turnout and the play was really good. It was actually pretty humorous too, which I didn't expect it to be. I was laughing throughout a lot of it. There are also sad parts to it too..like the love story between the two main characters. Anyways, everyone who took part in it did a really great job. I recommend to everyone! You guys should go see it and support Hmong productions like these. :D

bugsy

sarNie Adult
yea...i really wanted to go to this too! My organization was up in the cities for HND and we were gonna go on the opening night..but it was sold out. :( So we couldnt go.

But hey...if im correct...I met the dude in the poster....(im guessing hes the p'ek.. :D ) and if im even more correct-er.....he was the guy with us at this one meeting and he had to leave for the play. And at least a feedback came back good. ^_^

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^the dude in the poster is not even in the cast. I think those pictures were from the 1999 production of the play, which my cousin was in :D. Anyways, dude who played the main guy in the recent production was sort of chubby. ^_^

neena

sarNie Adult
i live only a few blocks from the threater their showing this play. my cousin plays two characters in this play so me and my sister with our other cousins went to watch the play on opening night. it was free for family and friends. its a good play. the actors and actresses did a great job! i got to meet some of them after the play.