Hmong Origin

kalaya

sarNie Egg
The most independent and agressive of tribes.

The Hmong are characterised by a desire to be left alone,
to be independent.
They will fight for space, for their future
if they think it is threatened. :unsure:
In Thailand they sided with the communists
because they were promised freedom; :wavecry:
in Laos they sided with the anti-communist forces because
communism threatened their culture. :shocked:
They are the most nomadic of the tribes,
villages splitting and migrating to new areas to gain independence.
Migrants to the USA have continued this mobility
constantly moving to seek out new opportunities.
Wherever they are, they keep their traditions
and as with all the other groups the most important is the New Year
ceremony held at the end of the agricultural cycle,
which usually coincides with the Christian Christmas
or the new calendar year.

credit to: unknown

General Vang Pao, constantly thinks he's doing a good job.
Unfortunately, he is not. If he is doing a good job he could've
helped all the hmong people in Thailand/Laos.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
vang pao's an idiot...always have been...always will be...and the hmongs are stupid enough to follow him...and the hmong tradition is dying out...FAST!!!!

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
I don't think there's much that he can do to help those people in Laos and Thailand. He really isn't anybody, but just a symbol of strength within the Hmong community, especially among the older generation. I really don't think it's fair that people blame him for what's happening. I'm not on his side either or anything like that since I do think that there's nothing he can do. Come on, he was the general of the hmong army...but that was a long time ago...do we need a general now? are we still fighting a war?

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
Well, I have never looked up upon Gen Vang Pao. Honestly, I think that he is a disgrace, desguised as a leader. A Hmong man with that much respect has so many wives... I do not believe that he deserves his respect. I know many people who idolize him so much that they have his freakin picture on their wall- I am a nyab in a house, and my picture isn't even on the walls of our home, but General Vang Pao who has done almost nothing to help our families' well being has a picture on our wall.
Even though Hmong elders say that he's the one who got us the ability to come to the USA and live a better life, then why does he not go get all the rest of our people who are lost back home. He can not do anything useful except eat cake with tons of blinded people on his birthday and sit in stage at Hmong events.

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
kalaya Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM
The most independent and agressive of tribes.

The Hmong are characterised by a desire to be left alone,
to be independent.
They will fight for space, for their future
if they think it is threatened.
In Thailand they sided with the communists
because they were promised freedom;
in Laos they sided with the anti-communist forces because
communism threatened their culture.
They are the most nomadic of the tribes,
villages splitting and migrating to new areas to gain independence.
Migrants to the USA have continued this mobility
constantly moving to seek out new opportunities.
Wherever they are, they keep their traditions
and as with all the other groups the most important is the New Year
ceremony held at the end of the agricultural cycle,
which usually coincides with the Christian Christmas
or the new calendar year.
I just don't agree with this...

General Pao Vang did what he think all Hmong people want... He want to be a leader... Hmong want him to be a Leader.... Because why they want a place to call their own... They didn't side with the Lao anti communist because they were being threathen of their culture... They became the American alliance in destroying Lao because the American Governmnet promise them a country if the communist were to fail.... That's let them being a peaceful culture... Because if the communist were to LOST the war...Lao who have have different name... Oh for a fact... Hmong didn't exist in Lao.. There were Meo in Lao.... They then change the it because of one prophacy...

"After the war Meo will die" "Sek la Meo dia"

sweetyaj

sarNie Elites
I AGREE WITH ALL OF U GUYS......I DO RESPECT THE GENERAL FOR DOING EVERTHING HE TO BRING AS MANY OF US AS POSSIBLE TO THE USA. BUT I THINK DAT NOW WE HAVE PAID HIM ENOUGH...I JUST WISH DAT HE WOULD JUX STEP BACK NOW...N STOP ALL HIS LIES....CAUSE WATEVER HE DOES IN SOME WAY IT EFFECTS HMONGS....

jaymes

sarNie Hatchling
I'm reserving judgment on this issue as I think most of us would agree to disagree. What I would like to know is where is this information about Hmong people siding with Americans to have their own country. I'm asking out of curiosity because all of the Hmong Veterans I know talk about the Laotian monarchy, or whatever government ruled Laos before their subsequent fall with a sense of nostalgia and warmth.

kalaya

sarNie Egg
JaM said:
I don't think there's much that he can do to help those people in Laos and Thailand. He really isn't anybody, but just a symbol of strength within the Hmong community, especially among the older generation. I really don't think it's fair that people blame him for what's happening. I'm not on his side either or anything like that since I do think that there's nothing he can do. Come on, he was the general of the hmong army...but that was a long time ago...do we need a general now? are we still fighting a war?
[post="29885"][/post]​

We're not at war now, and do not need a new general. But we do need someone to represent us hmong people. One that does something about the hmong people back in Thailand and Laos. Although I know that he can't do nothing much, he should at least help give out the money.

kalaya

sarNie Egg
angelxmdawb said:
Well, I have never looked up upon Gen Vang Pao. Honestly, I think that he is a disgrace, desguised as a leader. A Hmong man with that much respect has so many wives... I do not believe that he deserves his respect. I know many people who idolize him so much that they have his freakin picture on their wall- I am a nyab in a house, and my picture isn't even on the walls of our home, but General Vang Pao who has done almost nothing to help our families' well being has a picture on our wall.
Even though Hmong elders say that he's the one who got us the ability to come to the USA and live a better life, then why does he not go get all the rest of our people who are lost back home. He can not do anything useful except eat cake with tons of blinded people on his birthday and sit in stage at Hmong events.
[post="29897"][/post]​

I know how you felt. It's kind of not fair that he didn't do anything and every respect him so much. All he did was lead our army back at the old times. That doesn't mean he can do much now. Why is he the one to always open our ceremony (New Year?)

aychenneres

sarNie Hatchling
i'm not a general vang pao advocate, but i think it's disrespectful to cast him aside just because we're not at war anymore. even americans have enough respect to remember george washington and ulysses s. grant for leading their armies in the past. besides, politics always end up becoming corrupt, and general vang pao is no different. elders still revere him because they remember what he did for them to escape the horrors of war. we might not understand that because we haven't experienced it for ourselves.

Mae

sarNie Adult
JaM said:
I don't think there's much that he can do to help those people in Laos and Thailand. He really isn't anybody, but just a symbol of strength within the Hmong community, especially among the older generation. I really don't think it's fair that people blame him for what's happening. I'm not on his side either or anything like that since I do think that there's nothing he can do. Come on, he was the general of the hmong army...but that was a long time ago...
[post="29885"][/post]​
Very true...there isn't much he can do...i agree with you Jam...

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
jaymes said:
I'm reserving judgment on this issue as I think most of us would agree to disagree. What I would like to know is where is this information about Hmong people siding with Americans to have their own country. I'm asking out of curiosity because all of the Hmong Veterans I know talk about the Laotian monarchy, or whatever government ruled Laos before their subsequent fall with a sense of nostalgia and warmth.
[post="30064"][/post]​
in some books it says that a deal was struck with some hmong tribes that if they helped out the US in the Vietnam War, the US would help them get their own country or something like that. the US chose the Hmong to help them b/c they are familiar with the rugged terrain of the mountains. As for the Lao Monarchy, that is the monarchy that ruled lao before the communists too over, and they were also kinda close to the Western ways. the communists faction, aka Pathet Lao, are the people who persecuted those who veared towards Western or had any ties to the old government. Hmong were especially persecuted b/c of their direct ties with the US CIA

Vang Pao is just the guy who's talked about the most. I'm sure there were other people, and i'm sure not all the Hmong agreed with him, same for what i can say that not all lao people were communists.

Unfortunately, not a lot of info is known about all this stuff till u get to college or start ur own extensive research cuz the high school text will never tell you this stuff.

gloria

sarNie Juvenile
i have nothing against him..but to me seriously..i could care less about him...he has done nothing important that i know of...yeah..he was a general...he's the reason we're here in the united states like everyone claims..but it wouldn't matter anyway...if it wasn't him then it would have been someone else...it was bound to happen...i wouldn't honor him also...or worship him as much as some people have done or are still doing...