A misdemeanor

none3

sarNie Hatchling
I have a friend who is going to visit the women's local county jail in california to visit a friend and they need to do a background check. She has a misdemeanor for petty-theft about 8 years ago and she wasn't sure if it's still in her record.

Is true that a misdemeanor goes off your record in 7 years?

I need help because I don't know who to ask..thanks :unsure:

dfemc

sarNie Adult
misdemeanors aren't a big deal in any case for jail visits. it's felony offense that counts. btw, what state is this? u can look this up u know... it may fluctuate from state to state.

LaLa23x23

sarNie Elites
i heard that if you had a misdeamnor before youre 18 they will either seal or erase it off the record once youre 18. I just had a misdeamnor last month. It was senior ditch day, so me and my friends ditched..and we got caught (but out parents knew we were ditching) so now we have to go to court, and a misdeameanor is on our file.

none3

sarNie Hatchling
dfemc said:
misdemeanors aren't a big deal in any case for jail visits. it's felony offense that counts. btw, what state is this? u can look this up u know... it may fluctuate from state to state.
[post="89602"][/post]​

thanks for the good news...and by the way Dfemc...
...where can I look this up and get the info.? By the way the incident happened in California...

dfemc

sarNie Adult
okay...it is part of California Penal Code listed as section #4571 as follows:

4571. Every person who, having been previously convicted of a felony and confined in any State prison in this State, without the consent of the warden or other officer in charge of any State prison or prison road camp, or prison forestry camp, or other prison camp or prison farm or any other place where prisoners of the State prison are located under the custody of prison officials, officers or employees, or any jail or any county road camp in this State, comes upon the grounds of any such institution, or lands belonging or adjacent thereto, is guilty of a felony.

So in otherwords, it is only if you are a felon (having a felony offense), you will be charged with another felony for visiting an incarcerated individual without the consent of a "Facility Commander".

"If you have previously been convicted of a felony and served time in state prison, you may not enter the grounds of a county jail without the permission of the Facility Commander. That permission should be obtained in writing before attempting to schedule a visit. Entry to the facility grounds without such permission is a felony (California Penal Code §4571)."

Nowhere does it mention that misdemeanors are prohibited, so your friend should be permissable by law without any stipulated consent.

If you have any other questions or concern regarding ANY and i mean ANY law in california, please refer to the link below containing all official penal codes and california codes...don't let anyone lie to you about what u can and cannot do:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

but pertaining to your situation specifically, it's encompassed in the Penal Codes Section #4570-4574:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate...action=retrieve

and if you do know the name of the detention facility (jail), you an also look that up and it should have a page of its own listing the rules and regulations for visitation as well.

good luck. :) the prison system is a gloomy place to be. -_-