Help

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
aw but it's teachin a language which is a good thing so it should be ok LOL skies what ethnicity are u? if ur khmer then i can give u advice on how to listen for similarities. ish perdy easyyy

thai slang ermmmm goo means I and meung means you LOL but damn u only use dat w/ friends or when ur pissed hahaha

chun means I but it's so formal. people use rao a lot for I when they're speaking normallly. movies portray how people talk normally better than lakorn. da way people speak in lakorn is mostly perdy formal. oh another thing is R sounds are replaced by L sounds so da word 'ruk' (love) would be 'luk'. and when deres 2 consonants in da beginning of da word u drop da 2nd one so 'pla' (fish) is pa and 'khrai' (who) is khai which means egg LOL oh man am i confusing people?

Lalavonvon

sarNie Egg
Yeah, learning Thai is pretty productive for summer I reckon. :) Fine, it might be to watch some lakorn but hey, still better than hanging out at the malls or spending $$$ away shopping/ clubbing/ drinking.

Anyhow, I remembered when I initially wanted to learn Thai, I sounded to hilariously funny. I do not get the tones right often. I find it really hard to pick up the language if you have no friends to speak with you. That was my main issue - my Thai partner just do not speak Thai to me at all!!! Even now, if I speak Thai to him, he would reply in English! Lol!

What helped me tremendously is:
(1) I lived and worked in Thailand for about 10 months and it helped me greatly.
(2) My in-laws are Thai and though they speak English, I insist on speaking Thai with them. This helped me a lot especially with the more polite words.
(3) My Thai friends were a great help when it comes to slangs and the rude words! Hahaha!
(4) The lakorns taught me so much more apart from the daily conversational ones.

So, to help you with the Thai language, I think your best bet is mingle with some Thais and continue to watch the lakorns! :)

PS: Oh, it helps too if you happen to be linguistic.

skies

sarNie Adult
aw but it's teachin a language which is a good thing so it should be ok LOL skies what ethnicity are u? if ur khmer then i can give u advice on how to listen for similarities. ish perdy easyyy

thai slang ermmmm goo means I and meung means you LOL but damn u only use dat w/ friends or when ur pissed hahaha

chun means I but it's so formal. people use rao a lot for I when they're speaking normallly. movies portray how people talk normally better than lakorn. da way people speak in lakorn is mostly perdy formal. oh another thing is R sounds are replaced by L sounds so da word 'ruk' (love) would be 'luk'. and when deres 2 consonants in da beginning of da word u drop da 2nd one so 'pla' (fish) is pa and 'khrai' (who) is khai which means egg LOL oh man am i confusing people?
i'm hmong...lol...i'm just interested in learning, maybe because i was born in thailand OR maybe i just want to get myself a thai guy??? LMAO...nahhh...i always have this idea of going to thailand and teach there so i guess i just wanted to start now...haha...you guys have been very helpful...i appreciate that alot... :D

stasteek

sarNie Egg
that is helpful but confusing....LOL...I am khmer and speak spanish, khmer, english and now learning thai. I started with downloading study guides from internet and then i would watch the lakorn in khmer and turn around and watch it in thai (that helps alot!)......i have couple of thai friends whom are very helpful in helping me learn. In laws are thai and they are very helpful too!

I think the best way is to watch the lakorn in khmer and then watch it again in thai! it works for me, it should work for you! oh yah, i'm also taking thai classes which i pay 200 for eight weeks. really cool!