Your Lao childhood memories....

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Does anyone have childhood stories to share? I want to compiles Laotian/Thai rooted childhood games, bedtime stories, folktale, games, lullaby, etc. Lets see how many of us will have the same stories....such as Sieng Maneg (the mischievous rabbit)

I'll add my story later as it comes to me. Hope to hear some of your story.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Does anyone have childhood stories to share? I want to compiles Laotian/Thai rooted childhood games, bedtime stories, folktale, games, lullaby, etc. Lets see how many of us will have the same stories....such as Sieng Maneg (the mischievous rabbit)

I'll add my story later as it comes to me. Hope to hear some of your story.
Sieng Maneg (Miang)'s story sounds so much like the turtle and the rabbit that we learn in the U.S. However, there's one where Sieng Miang was human and he was not a good person because he was so mischievious. There was a movie out awhile back about him. I watched it, and then my dad told me about how he was reborn into a rabbit.

I was raised in the U.S. so I don't really know any Laos games, except the one I saw on tv and i did in my P.E. class in elementary school with the two sticks. It's kinda like jump rope. Two people hold the ends of the stick and pound the sticks on the ground at a certain beat while people in the middle would jump through it and it'll get faster and faster. But, if your feet gets trapped, then you're out.

There's also the story of Klong Kow Noi Ka Mae. The guy who killed his mom because he was hungry and irritated. I guess it teaches you a lesson to not take things for granted because once it's gone, you can't bring it back.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Sieng Maneg (Miang)'s story sounds so much like the turtle and the rabbit that we learn in the U.S. However, there's one where Sieng Miang was human and he was not a good person because he was so mischievious. There was a movie out awhile back about him. I watched it, and then my dad told me about how he was reborn into a rabbit.

I was raised in the U.S. so I don't really know any Laos games, except the one I saw on tv and i did in my P.E. class in elementary school with the two sticks. It's kinda like jump rope. Two people hold the ends of the stick and pound the sticks on the ground at a certain beat while people in the middle would jump through it and it'll get faster and faster. But, if your feet gets trapped, then you're out.

There's also the story of Klong Kow Noi Ka Mae. The guy who killed his mom because he was hungry and irritated. I guess it teaches you a lesson to not take things for granted because once it's gone, you can't bring it back.

This apply to everyone. I myself have never stepped in Laos before. We were refugee in Thailand.

I didn't realize that they had made a movie about Sieng Miang. There's so many version of his story. There's one I can remember somewhat. Sieng Miang has some friends, the tiger, chicken, and something else, and each had different talent. They decided that each day they will take turn cooking. For the tiger, he hunt. The chicken, she lay eggs. And Sieng Miang turns, he didn't know what to do. So he tried repeating his friend steps, but it didn't work. He sat on the hay to lay eggs, but it never came. He tried hunting, but end up being chased down. So, then this mischievous Sieng Miang came up with a bright idea. I'll just serve them something that they don't have to know where it came from. What you do you think he did? What would you serve if you are Sieng Miang, the rabbit?

Sieng Miang decided that there was one thing he was soo good at doing.....Poop. So he cooked his poop for his friend. When they came home, they asked "what's that smell?" But being tired, they ignore the smell. Sieng Miang said "Dig in, I already ate." So his friend digged in. Suddently, Sieng Miang started to laugh uncontrollably, saying "your guys ate my poop." His friend tried to bring it all back out, and when they finally was done. They were ready for revenge. "Sieng Miang, I'm going to get you!" said the tiger. And the story continue from there....

I know it sound dump. I probably missed some parts. Feel free to correct it.

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
i've never heard of Sieng Miang... uhm... :huh:

there's this one Lao song my mom use to sing to me when i was younger. It's a about a rabbit & how it looks. lol. my mom still sings it to me today...! :lol: but i'll tell her to stop because i'm not a child anymore.

let me try to remember it. it goes something like this: "look at the rabbit, it's got a fluffy tail, it's got big ears,... something ... something something..." lol
She sings it in Lao so I don't know. hopefully it makes sense.. My mom would use her hands to pretend it's a rabbit.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Cool. Okay.

Well, I have tons of childhood memory but nothing in regards to Laotian fairtytales are myths, except the naga.
When I was younger my dad was sit me on his lap and tell me stories about life in Laos and the history of how Laos started out.
I was a history geek even as a child.

donna

sarNie Adult
my friend hubbie was telling me a story about sieng mieng. but he was a human tho.

if i remember correctly:

his mom told him to take a bath for his brother. she said to wash every part of him and make sure the he is clean. he takes things very literally so he washes his brother. he cut him up and washes his insides too!

kinda gross but it kept me entertained. they like to tell me stuff like this cuz i don't understand most of the hard or old lao words, haha

he was telling about another one:

there is a hunter in the woods trying to shoot some animals. there is a tiger, elephant, and alligator? (kinda forgot) he said well what did he shoot first. i was naming off all the animals and he just started laughing at me lo. i said i give up! he was like the gun. you have to shoot the gun first!

oh my gosh! he had me thinking hard too. lol

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I love listening to my Mother and Father's love story back when they were in Laos. It was bittersweet, because of how they met and how they got seperated at war, and how he died.

Jane

sarNie Hatchling
my friend hubbie was telling me a story about sieng mieng. but he was a human tho.

if i remember correctly:

his mom told him to take a bath for his brother. she said to wash every part of him and make sure the he is clean. he takes things very literally so he washes his brother. he cut him up and washes his insides too!

kinda gross but it kept me entertained. they like to tell me stuff like this cuz i don't understand most of the hard or old lao words, haha
I remember my mom telling me something along the line of this version, she said that his brother had used the number two and his mom told him to make sure he cleans all of the poop so he cut the brother up and cut his intestine up to clean out the poop. I know there's more, but this one stuck out in my mind.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Cool. Okay.

Well, I have tons of childhood memory but nothing in regards to Laotian fairtytales are myths, except the naga.
When I was younger my dad was sit me on his lap and tell me stories about life in Laos and the history of how Laos started out.
I was a history geek even as a child.
I love listening and hearing about Nagas too. My dad told me that the Nagas used to help Laos and they would marry humans and stuff. But on the verge of war, Laos mistrusted the Nagas because of canibalism or something and they covered up the hole that the Nagas came out of. And isn't there a hole now?? That they open as a tourist attraction?

I love listening to my Mother and Father's love story back when they were in Laos. It was bittersweet, because of how they met and how they got seperated at war, and how he died.
me too. my parent's story is hilarious. they make it sound like they weren't even in love, but they're still together now.
my dad used to go and ask my grandma on my mom's side for rice during the war, and one day my grandma from my dad's side came over to visit my dad. She met my mom and liked her. So, she arranged a marriage between them. My grandpa on my mom's side loved my dad. So, they got married, but the night they were married, my dad had to hide and stuff. They even used a disguised name so people didn't know who was getting married.

When we returned to Laos in 2003, my dad was going to get out of the car to go and beg my grandma for rice. We went to Laos without telling them we were going. We kind of hinted it by saying we'll go soon, but we just showed up. My cousin called to ask if we went there yet and they didn't believe him. So, my dad was drunk and it didn't go as planned. However they were still suprised that we were there.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
After eating your meal, have your parent ever said "if you don't drink your water, you're going to turn into an alligator?" Being gullible and naive, I used to believe that.

nina07

sarNie Adult
oh, yeah. lol.

my parents would be like "dont drink while your laying down, your going to turn into a snake".

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
mine would tell me not to whistle in the house because a ghost will come and twist my lips and it'll be all crooked.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
You guys, let's get this thread rolling again! I love Lao Folk stories.

Has anyone heard of "Pee gong Goy??" Its feet are backwards and it hops?? My Mother used to tell me stories about this legendary entity. I'm starting to wonder if it exists?