why go to college?

I went to college for my future and for my parents. In Laos or Thailand, girls don't have this opportunity....I have it here and I damn well am going to take advantage of it. I want to be able to make something out of myself, have the neccessary knowledge and skills that will allow me to stand on my own should my future marriage fail...I would not have to depend on someone..I can fall back on myself. I say my parents too because I want to be successful and in turn be able to give back to them because they have always given and still continue to give to me.

greenapple2

sarNie Hatchling
I think people are constantly growing and college is a good environment where we can meet new people, get introduce to new ideas and really grow up. Not to diss people who don't go to college or that you can't grow if you don't go to college, but that college do expose us to other issues out in the world that we normally don't see or think of in our everyday life. It is costly, for me $40G a year cuz my school is private... I do doubt if it'll pay off in the long run :p, should have gone to a less expensive school, but I've enjoyed my experience. Definitely go to college, whether university or community college.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
I think people are constantly growing and college is a good environment where we can meet new people, get introduce to new ideas and really grow up. Not to diss people who don't go to college or that you can't grow if you don't go to college, but that college do expose us to other issues out in the world that we normally don't see or think of in our everyday life. It is costly, for me $40G a year cuz my school is private... I do doubt if it'll pay off in the long run :p, should have gone to a less expensive school, but I've enjoyed my experience. Definitely go to college, whether university or community college.
YUP.
COLLEGE IS COLLEGE.
=D

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I met my one of my best friends in college :wub:.. we had this class together and we were both late lol so we ended up sitting next to each other the first day.. then we both go "great my first day and im late" then we both giggled and after that a week later i was getting late for class she calls me up "where are you??!" ever since that she started calling me to remind me when i have an exam... threatening me if I don't show up and if i wanna skip lol... ^___-" the thing i like about college or love about is; it's where you meet some of your lifelong friends ...

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
I'm the oldest of 7 kids, I refuse to stay home and go to a community college. I grow up watching all my female (HMONG) relatives getting married in high school and then by the time they graduate, they have like 2 kids already. There's nothing in life for them, I feel as though they basically lost their chance of living life as a full teenager. I want to experiences live at the same time get an education so I want can be better off in the future. I don't want to depend on a guy, basiclly I want to be successful and independent.

who says that marriage is about kids and depending on the husband? I've been married for 4 years now, but I am very independent and have no kids, and I don't go to a community college. It's all up to what an individual wants to do with their life. If they want to have kids, that's their desire. If they end up going to community college and didn't want to at the first place, that's their own hard decision to make. You can be married at the same time and not be tied down with all that stuff and still be successful and independent. :) get it?

But.. to answer the question..
College is the REAL place where you grow up and find out who you really want to be. In senior year of HS, you may think you're already 18 and stuff.. and probably feel that you have your life plan all mapped and planned out.. but things change.. Your interests really change and you may end up changing your major, maybe re-planning your whole life again.. You meet people from all over the world.. even community colleges have students from all over the world. We have korean, chinese, japanese, and even thai students going to the tech colleges here too, because the university is so expensive. In college, you have access to study-abroad programs, internships, jobs, all kinds of things that are offered for young college students that will help you decide what you want to do in your life.
People also go to college to complete their goals, whether it is to become a doctor, a professor, a scientist, lawyer.. college is the key :D
that's my rabling "D

miss_aom_phiyada

sarNie Adult
I go to COLLEGE because of good Education and higher raise in future jobs..............especially the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....hahahaha

pajnra

sarNie Egg
it seems like i am going to college because of my sister's influences which is wonderful because i have someone to help me when i feel like quitting. i have her to calm her down and help me stand back up.

claireladiee

sarNie Egg
i am in college because i hate this sexist world that I live in...."hmong women are supppose to cook and clean only," as my mother states! i hate it!!! i want to be independent and NOT depend on a GUY for anything!!! so I am in college because of me!! no one else!

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
i'm in college to earn my independence...independence from a husband, independence from a family...

if i ever get divorced i need to be able to pay for it and then support myself and kids...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
never say you are going to college for anyone
it's all for yourself.
it's not going to benefit anyone but YOU
stay in college.
even if it's just a community college..
it's some college.

koblo

sarNie Hatchling
so...i'm doing a research paper for my english class...i decided to write a paper i would actually be somewhat intrested in and care about...

i decided to go with the topic: why students go to college?

is it because of society's image of being happy, rich, successful and intellegent?

is it because of your parents expections?

brothers and sisters influence?

is it because you all want to experience the independence that college allows you to have?

is it because you want to be stuck in a math or eng class you dont really care for?

the future have any influence?

i just need some feed back from you guys...kind of like a survey thing...
so gimmie all your info...it would be graciously appreciated! thanks

Well I am a freshman in college. For me personally, college is my escape. It does have a little to do with society because statistically, people with degrees make more money than those who just have high school diplomas. Also because of parents expectations that they just want the best for their child. I also choose to go to college to adapt to my independent and trying to figure out what I want in life. It is mix variety of reasons to go to college depending on your culture.