What is wrong?

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
I dont know what is wrong with my extended harddrive? Its not working!! When I turned it on it sound like a dying engine? Everything I have acheive for the last 3 years is in there. :( Does anyone have a clue?

noungning

Heartless
sounds like ur HD blew. u might need to get a new one... sorry also, all your hardwork is gone. i think u can try to have the company that owns it retrieve it for u... with a fee of course.

but if it sounds like something spun and click click click... it's pretty much done. :(

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
sounds like ur HD blew. u might need to get a new one... sorry also, all your hardwork is gone. i think u can try to have the company that owns it retrieve it for u... with a fee of course.

but if it sounds like something spun and click click click... it's pretty much done. :(

Thats what it sounds like when I turn it on. It goes spun click click click and thats it nothing more. Everything I have is in there, programs,music,pictures,and all my drawings. But what cause the HD to blew?

Pure Azn

sarNie Hatchling
Thats what it sounds like when I turn it on. It goes spun click click click and thats it nothing more. Everything I have is in there, programs,music,pictures,and all my drawings. But what cause the HD to blew?
well whats the model and make of ur external HD

Pure Azn

sarNie Hatchling
yea WD's are okay but i wouldnt buy one of those if ur looking to get a new one cuz i heard those HD have little or no protection against shock. I'd prefer using Seagate, but i wudnt buy the newer models of the 1g+ of seagate cuz i heard it had some problems. Well at least u got good ole 3 years out of ur harddrive :), other people only lasted less than a year with WD's. Usually 80% of the time hard drives die due to hardware failure, including media failure, head crash, electrical failure or controller problems. Or in simpler terms, the harddrive just dies :\
So if u ever get a new external HD, always remember to make a backup cuz it will save your files and also your money :)

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
-.-" yeah I ... have well big externals to back up everything I have 2 1 TB ones that I use to backup my smaller ones and if heaven forbids anything should get lost or die on me I'll have those 2 1 TB ones to pull out

My western digital is doing pretty good so far lol I've had it for about 4 years now. I always unplug my externals when I'm not using it make sure all my wires are grounded and everything is plugged in through a surge protector.. but you can find someone to retrieve data for you but of course like ning said with a fee -._"

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
-.-" yeah I ... have well big externals to back up everything I have 2 1 TB ones that I use to backup my smaller ones and if heaven forbids anything should get lost or die on me I'll have those 2 1 TB ones to pull out

My western digital is doing pretty good so far lol I've had it for about 4 years now. I always unplug my externals when I'm not using it make sure all my wires are grounded and everything is plugged in through a surge protector.. but you can find someone to retrieve data for you but of course like ning said with a fee -._"

''sigh'' just now I know I should unpluged my external harddrive when I'm not using it just to stay on the safe side like you did.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Yeah, I learned my lesson lol because I leave my computer on almost all the time because there is always soemthing downloading or uploading even when im not home or asleep! At that time I had my 160 GB HD plugged in and I woke up and found that my computer had crashed. I didn't have anything important in my computer because i like to keep it clean, but my external! From then on I learned my lesson. Also when removing your external hardwares it's always best to eject it safely. I seen people with flash drives, externals and everything just pull it out of the socket -.-"

kitkat

sarNie Elites
That sucks! You have to start it all over again and get a new one, too unless it can be retrieved somehow. Good luck!

I have 3 Maxtors even I planned to get some more anytime soon. XD; I keep getting a lot of HQ videos almost everyday. I never unplug it, just turn it off after I shut my computer down. I got 'em like 3+ years now and it's still in great condition. lol, Tina I tend to pull my flash drives off without ejecting and it's still usable. ^^ Unless if you have ScanDisk, then it has to be ejected first before pulling it out. =)

darvil

sarNie Adult
clanky clanky drives..

All you people drive me nuts.. you all are asking for trouble.. Your luck can only last so long.

noungning

Heartless
tina, unfortunately we're all not nerds like the dude.

i have 4 seagates, 2 WDs (still in boxes though) so i don't know how they work...

the 4 seagates: 1 320gb, 1 500 gb, 2 1tb

i back up the 320 on both the 500 and tb... haha talk about OCD lmfao. there's been some instances that my drives aren't called up and i almost have a minor heart attack because everyone knows how much music i have and i'll DIE if they are gone. DIE DIE DIE. was just telling my sister, if the house was ever to burn down... the drives are going out with me and my picture albums... nvm the rest lol.

but sometimes u can over work ur drives...and cause disaster. sometimes i'd have everything turned off but my drives are still running and that's when i know that something is up and start to panick... but sometimes i just pull the plug and hope for the better...

if ur stuff is sentimental enough that u would pay to retreive it back... i hope u get everything back ;)

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Ok,I dont know WHY or HOW? But my WD external drive just came back to life!?? After a couple of months, I decided to forget about it and start over with everything. Is it a miracle??? Anyway I'm kinda glad and kinda hate it too.