what is/are your career goals

judyp

sarNie Adult
this topic was inspired by the topic about working in the hospital setting.

please share your career goal(s) or if you've already reached your goal(s), how are you liking it and is it what you expected?

im currently in my first semester (summer) of nursing school and will be done by the end of next year. i've always known that i wanted to work in the medical field, but initially, i wanted to be like a medical admin or something along that line. i took a medical office course and then realized how much i love the hands-on aspect of the medical field. i became a certified nursing assistant (CNA) but i was focused on getting my prereqs completed for nursing school so i did not make use of my certificate. but when i was training, man, it was definitely not easy. but i loved loved it. so i finished my prereqs in 2 years and waited a year before i got into the program. i don't know how compact other nursing programs are, but i applied to like 3 diff programs; 2 were lottery based and the other was a 3-year program and was GPA based. i got into the normally 2-year program but was fortunate to get a seat because sponsorship by the hospital and will complete in 1-1/2 year. i was told that there were about 800 applicants with only 50 seats. i know, sad isn't it?

its about a month into the program and i absolutely love it. i've grown to become so passionate about nursing. my experience as a student training as a CNA is a HUGE advantage. once i officially become an RN, i do plan to continue to strive for my Bachelor's (possibly specializing in peds or women's health) and am considering doing the Master's program to become either a Pediatric or Family Nurse Practitioner. its going to be a tough ride, but i know it'll be something i'll only continue to love.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
And my second choice is a movie director. The closest I got is sarnworld fanfiction section and making videos for youtube. hehe

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'm on my last semester of school (would've been done already but I met with some complications).

My career goal is to work my way up in the news business.
My degree will be in print journalism. From what I've heard most entry level reporters get stuck doing crime.
I did want to cover politics because I did my minor in that area but I've gotten tired of it.
I'd want to move from crime to something slightly more fun or interesting, like world news or covering war stories.
What I really want is to be a travel writer, I want Samantha Brown's job and host or produce my own travel show and writer human interest pieces on the side.

I'd also like to be a successful published novelist.
I'm currently working on my first novel, well, first 4 novels.

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
I just entered university last week... ^_^

I'm currently taking up nursing and maybe after I graduate, I'll try to get into medical school and be a doctor in the future. ^_^

I also wanted to be a novelist but my parents, especially my dad, is not in favor with it. I was suppose to take up creative writing but they don't like it. They are more in favor of me becoming a doctor.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Since I was 12 I knew that I wanted to be something that has to deal with the medical field .. but at the same time I had a secret passion for writing. My parent's didn't like it because they thought it made me weak and also there is no future in it. I gave up that dream because I realize that my parents are somewhat right ... writing did make me weak... how? I'm quite unsure but I knew if I were to be majoring in journalism right now I wouldn't be the person that I am today. I decided to get into the medical field... so now I'm on my way towards becoming a pediatrician. I've also been intrigued by forensics . ... even thought about becoming a CSI ...not because I watch the show to much, but because it's something that combines knowledge and justice... but for right now I'll stick to pediatrics..

I have another year until graduation. I would have graduated this year but I had some issues with some of my credits that didn't transfer properly -.- sighs I cry everyday because of it lol

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol I don't get how journalism would make anyone weak.
Trust me, there's journalism and there's other types of writing and I went into it thinking it was all the same but it's not.
Journalism is a lot harder than people think it is, it's not an easy job being a reporter (people get journalism confused with being a writer of the novel kind but it's a different field, it helps if you're a journalist though because writing good fiction requires more research than most people think).
The rules to writing as a reporter is vastly different from just creative writing, it goes beyond the basic knowledge of proper grammar and spelling.

I had plans to become a doctor too but I just didn't enjoy medicine as much as I thought I did, actually I hated it with a passion.
I enjoyed science but that's as far as it goes. Being a doctor is great and all but it limits my knowledge, I needed something that will allow me to continue to learn something new, short of becoming a professional student. :p

I had to defend it because it is the field that I am in. People who aren't in that field tend to not understand what journalism really is.
If anything, I think it's a career field that makes a person much stronger. When you come become a doctor, sure you're guaranteed success in your field so long as you don't kill anyone and pass all of your exams and get your degree. In journalism it's much tougher, you can get a degree in it but in the end if your writing skill is crap, no one's going to hire you. Even worse, if you're reporting skills is crap, you can pretty much forget about making it at all. You have to be a go getter and really want it to go after the stories you're assigned to cover. Reporters are having to compete their colleagues and competing networks/papers/magazines. Rarely do the people you have to do stories on sit down and give you a Q&A, if you're dealing with politicians you gotta be even more careful to not take things at face value. A good reporter gets the interview, gets the quotes, knows who to talk to, where to find these people, what questions to ask, how to ask the question and then does background research (you can't always count on people to tell you the truth). You have to do all of that, be a good writer and get it done before deadline. There's always a deadline. Like the saying goes, time is money. If anything is late or the paper is printed late, that's costing the higher-ups money and they don't like that. It could very well cost you your job.
It's tough a field and if you don't have the balls and thick skin to handle all of this, you're not going to survive in journalism. It's not for everyone. Even being a good writer isn't enough if you're not also a good reporter. Being in the news business you're going to have to deal with situations that will very well shape who you end up becoming later on. Reporters who cover crime are often times at a crime scene before cops are. They do it to get pictures before the scene is taped down and before cops can tell them to "stay behind the yellow tape". So they're going to see a lot of nasty things that go on in our world, like rape, murder, drugs, etc. Not everyone can handle that without breaking.

I'll stop my rambling now just had to throw in my two cent about that. Okay, it was more like $2 and some change. :p
But yeah, journalism is definitely not for the weak. That's part of the appeal for me. I'm not the type of person who can work a regular 9-5 job, I need something more challenging, never boring and always changing.

judyp

sarNie Adult
so we have quite a few future authors/journalists. tell you the truth, i could never do it. my professors tell me how great of a writer i am, and i don't understand how because i hate writing with a passion. lols. and plus to be a writer, you must be a reader. and me and reading is a no-no. i hate hate hate reading. i read when i have to. lols. sure, i'll read news article and whatnot, but to read a novel, pay me. hahah.

solin

sarNie Adult
My dream is to wook for the United Nation (and more exacly for CNUCED) but If I can't I just wish to work in a humanitarian organisation.
Just want to be present for poor people who need help !
That is why I just applied for a master of development in south countries ; I have worked hard to have good grades and I hope I will be accepted.
I have always known that I don't want to work in an office or something like that...but outside and to be abble to travel.
I also know that I want to work in Asia and live there for a periode of my life before to be retired in France.

judyp

sarNie Adult
I just entered university last week... ^_^

I'm currently taking up nursing and maybe after I graduate, I'll try to get into medical school and be a doctor in the future. ^_^

I also wanted to be a novelist but my parents, especially my dad, is not in favor with it. I was suppose to take up creative writing but they don't like it. They are more in favor of me becoming a doctor.
thats soo cool. my pops want me to go to medical school. i've thought about it, but decided that i do not want to become a doctor. sure, when i was younger i had plans of becoming a pediatrician. i've done my research and being an RN is satisfying enough for me. depending where im at in life when im done with my BSN, i may want to pursue a career as a nurse practitioner. plus, i don't want to medically diagnose people. :p

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
^I also dreamed of becoming a lawyer before since my parents are both lawyers but now I'm much more interested in the medical field... ^_^

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
^^ HAHA...

I remember my nephew who was 8 at the time.. He said he wanted to be a garbage man when he grows up.

judyp

sarNie Adult
^^ lol. thats cute. but hey, somebody's gotta do it. ;) how old is he now? and has he changed his mind?

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
in the future, i kinda want to be a multilingual pharmacist...lol knowing english, hmong, thai, korean, and chinese...lol

n u know how the rumor is that pharmacists make a lot of money? well i wanna use that money n open up my own entertainment thing for hmong people, cuz our movies n karaokes kinda suck BIG A**...lol

i've always had a passion for music n films, so i kinda wanna be a pharmacist n part time owner of a hmong entertainment business..lol

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Back in eighth grade, I thought of being a pharmacist because my dad's friend is one and also my friend's uncle is a pharmacist in Nevada. So I was inspired by them to become one but as I entered high school, I realized that I only wanted to be a pharmacist because of the moola. I know I can't stand working behind the counters with medicine all day long. I'd probably overdose myself first because of boredom lol.

My dad on the other hand wants me to be a lawyer ever since I was young, in elementary school, because he said I was the only one out of my siblings that would talk back to him without fear haha. He states since I like arguing with people so much why don't I just make a living out of it? My answer, was heck no. Lawyers are blood sucking parasites lol. I guess I shouldn't say that since one of my friends since elementary school has a dad that's a lawyer and some of you guys here want to be a lawyer as well. But he's pretty cool and nice. Hate his secretary though.

My mom wanted me to be a doctor. At first I was thrilled with the idea of helping patients and stuff like this Thai doctor in our city. He was so totally nice and cool and I actually didn't mind my visits to his clinic because his wife was always so welcoming. However, he's no longer a doctor and every time I drive to work, I will pass his old clinic that's across from YMCA and it brings back so many memories of getting shots that hurt like heck but still I was glad that there were always stickers as rewards afterwards lol. But when my grandma became ill and I had to spend countless days with her at the hospital, I realized that the last thing I wanted to be on earth is a doctor. They have to deal with the weirdest circumstances and gosh I hate the rushed environment.

So now I start college in about 3 months and I've decided to major in Clinical Nutrition after spending a few times at my mom's workplace and seeing how the dietitian there prepares the menu. Also, one of my co-worker's daughter at the office I use to work for, is doing an intern with the MMCenter dealing with nutrition and she says she likes it even though sometimes the nurses can be bitches to you but overall, it's an interesting field and I can work either in hospitals, clinics, public health settings, school districts, or even Federal Nutrition programs. The latter idea sparked my interest the most because I want to work my way up to being the nutrition director of my beloved high school district. The current director told me he's going to retire in about 5 years so that should give me some time at least for the knowledge part. Plus, i got a chance to speak with the HR lady on my last day at the office and she advised me to take some business courses as well if I am serious about working my way up to being the nutriton director for my hs district because that means I would have to manage all the cafeteria balances and expenses and deal with the CBO. However, as experience goes, they would probably choose to hire someone with more experience and older as well. But a girl can dream! I guess I will come back in two years after finishing my prereq courses and decide what I really want to do with clinical nutrition.

Jean

sarNie Juvenile
I am currently in my last semester and will be graduating in August with my bachelor's degree in Health Care Management. Should have been done a long time ago, but I took a semester off and never took any summer courses except now because I'm just ready to graduate, been in school so long. When I graduate I want to work for the Federal Government as a occupational and safety coordinator where I work with implenting safety guidelines and making sure that the work environment is safety for employers and their employers to work in. I don't want to work in a medical office, but I wouldn't mind working in a hospital though.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
in the future, i kinda want to be a multilingual pharmacist...lol knowing english, hmong, thai, korean, and chinese...lol

n u know how the rumor is that pharmacists make a lot of money? well i wanna use that money n open up my own entertainment thing for hmong people, cuz our movies n karaokes kinda suck BIG A**...lol

i've always had a passion for music n films, so i kinda wanna be a pharmacist n part time owner of a hmong entertainment business..lol
Heck yeah. Pharmacists make a ridiculous amout of money and don't have to do as much work.
My boyfriend was a manager at Walgreens and he'd complain about how much they make and how little they actually work (the techs do a lot of the work). My cousin is a pharmacists but I think she's now in med school to become a doctor (probably pediatrician).