Vacation in Thailand

Alright! For those who have been to Thailand before I need your honest opinions! Actually, anything will help because I've never been! How much money should I bring with me if we're going for a month considering there's no hotel fees or anything (my folks have several properties there)? 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
It depends what you want to buy and what you want to do. I think Thailand and Bali are kind of close together with money value right?

If you are careful 1k can get you far. I spend 65% of my money on food. One thing, don't think I can do is limit my spending on food. A while ago when my husband went to Thailand he took like $500 and had money left over.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
:faint:  $500? and he still has left over? :faint: WHOA how long was he there for?

On average for a month stayed I bring 3k and I only got like couple of hundred left by the time I came back.  No I don't go shopping for clothes or anything, just on foods, travel expense and some books, small nick-nacks and this is for only "me, myself and I" and my family even helps me paid for most of everything else. :coverlaf:
Oh yeah, majority of my spending were on foods and fruits too ... I can spend upto $50 a day on fruits alone, especially during durian and mangosteen seasons.

The exchanges then was $1 to 30B- but now is a bit more $1 to about 35B, so 2k should be good.  It doesn't hurt to have more than not enough, you don't have to spend it all because you can always bring it back if you don't get to spend them.

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
I brought 2k and came back exactly with 1k excluding rent expenses because my sister had a place there at that time. I was able to travel to Huahin/Phuket under that 1k I spent.

Prakaidao

sarNie Adult
I heard that the food prices have gone up since my Grandparents live over there they said that mostly food prices are higher, but idk don't take my words for it. Well I guess food is expensive everywhere.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Maya_Fantasy said:
:faint:  $500? and he still has left over? :faint: WHOA how long was he there for?

On average for a month stayed I bring 3k and I only got like couple of hundred left by the time I came back.  No I don't go shopping for clothes or anything, just on foods, travel expense and some books, small nick-nacks and this is for only "me, myself and I" and my family even helps me paid for most of everything else. :coverlaf:
Oh yeah, majority of my spending were on foods and fruits too ... I can spend upto $50 a day on fruits alone, especially during durian and mangosteen seasons.

The exchanges then was $1 to 30B- but now is a bit more $1 to about 35B, so 2k should be good.  It doesn't hurt to have more than not enough, you don't have to spend it all because you can always bring it back if you don't get to spend them.
Lol...he had no other expenses beside buying food. The time he went to Thailand I didn't pressure him into buying me anything nice from there. Now, I do...When he traveled to other countries I make sure he gets me a piece of jewelry that represents the country so $500 ain't cutting it anymore lol. He was in Thailand for only two weeks that time. So, spending less than $500 was reasonable...to him anyway.

When he went to Cambodia he only took $350 and had almost $100 back home hahahah. I on the other hand, when I travel I can't be on a budget. I waste too much on food, fruits and nick-nacs stuff. When we were in Bali the first time... $1,500 barely cut it and we were only there for 10 days. He always say, traveling with me is too expensive. Ain't that the truth.

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
Honestly. If you’re not paying for Hotel fees I think $1k would be plenty for a month only if you’re going w/ your parents. I always go w/ my parents and they always pay for a lot of things. I haven’t been back for a while now but I know for a fact that when we do go in the future they will pay for most of my food and I’m an adult working woman but that’s what parents do, they just automatically pay for you. I’m not spoiled nor do I take advantage of them but let’s just say I’m fortunate. All you gotta worry about is things you know you are going to spend on. Are you traveling by yourself? I figured you might be w/ your parents because you mentioned that they have properties there. 

CTR

The Realist guy here period
thatsouthernasianchick said:
Alright! For those who have been to Thailand before I need your honest opinions! Actually, anything will help because I've never been! How much money should I bring with me if we're going for a month considering there's no hotel fees or anything (my folks have several properties there)? 

You're not gonna make it rain over there?  :p  J/K

It depends where you wanna stay, what kind of food you wanna eat, what kind of places you wanna see, etc.  If you're staying in BKK then it's going to be more expensive let say if you're in the Isaan region.   

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
@Byebye - dang ... your husband need to shows me how to travel for less, so I will get to travel often and to many places with all that saving. :woot:  hahahaha

byebye

sarNie OldFart
When I was in Bali, I tried this for a few days and it worked. We stayed at a very nice resort...and their breakfast is ridiculously good. Honestly, I didn't even think it was breakfast cause they have like lunch and dinner food also. We eat breakfast about 9ish and I eat like 5 plates with a plate of desserts lol. I ate so much that lunch didn't even crossed my mind...so we skipped lunch and just eat dinner. Doing that we saved on breakfast and lunch. But I only tried it for about 3 days...cause I just want to spend money and eat local food.

I think, my guilty pleasure is getting a massage. I had one everyday for 4 days before I realized my aches and pain in my feet never go away. I felt that's money wasted. Not to add, the oil they used itches the cap out of me.

I think the most he spent was in Hawaii cause he bought me a rose gold necklace...and if it's only him no matter where he goes he can easily get by $500 and have extra.

Lol. Well, I don't have to worry about lodging period because my folks and friends have properties there. No, I'm not gonna make it rain. Lol. But, I do want to do merit and stuff too. Probably shopping for knick knacks. Backpacking in Chiang Mai mountains for sure. Beach, yes. Street vendor food all the way because I want to experience Thailand. If I'm lucky, I hope I can get backstage passes to a good concert or something. Lol. Karaoke bars is on our list. I wanna meet Anne T., Bird T., Bie, Gun and Gam, and Jui/Push.

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
Lol. Well, I don't have to worry about lodging period because my folks and friends have properties there. No, I'm not gonna make it rain. Lol. But, I do want to do merit and stuff too. Probably shopping for knick knacks. Backpacking in Chiang Mai mountains for sure. Beach, yes. Street vendor food all the way because I want to experience Thailand. If I'm lucky, I hope I can get backstage passes to a good concert or something. Lol. Karaoke bars is on our list. I wanna meet Anne T., Bird T., Bie, Gun and Gam, and Jui/Push.

Your parents & friends have properties there but you've never been to Thailand before?? Ahhh girl. You are missing out!!

CTR

The Realist guy here period

Yeah, my family got properties that as well.  Haven't been to Chang Mai myself yet.   If your fam have their own money than you can save a lot.  I'm still surprise you not going to make it rain in one of the malls in BKK.   :weee:

Late but...thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and share their own experiences! I am beyond stoked for this trip and will update you guys on here my daily life in Thailand. And for those wondering, I've never met my family over there so this is a first time. 

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
Eeeekkss have fun na. I'm super excited for you :) Enjoy all the food you can eat there<3

I'll be returning back to Thailand in 2016 hehe