TV dramas must stop justifying rape

cecilia

Staff member
It's true what the writer is saying, its not the people knowing between reality and entertainment its the kids, parents leave their kids watching TV alone all the time or watching and not telling them if this is right or wrong, sure we can blame on the parents for that but who's going to have time to tell the kids all the time if most of the lakorns have r scenes and r scenes. Kids these days are growing up very fast and TV are their biggest influence, they learn from it alot. Especially when on TV they see rape than seeing that everything is ok after rape... kids they are innocent, what they watch they will remember. For example not long ago kids age only 10-12 watched a movie with rape and going out to rape a 7 years old girl! -_- Start doing now for the future, and progression for the present.

Sawan Bieng made me very very out of mood for r scenes lakorns, made me so disgusted, and don't like the lakorn at all even the acting was SUPER or they did their scenes out like a Hollywood star, it doesn't get me. I get disgusted everytime I see their face even <_< for her to love someone who raped her 4 times, for him to even have the face to face her and love her, its so fantasy and wrong. I have never hear of real stories where a girl falls in love and married and have a happy life with her rapist. It's crazy and it proves very very much how people in Thailand are not understanding it that its a crime and producers and directors are all promoting it as its a Honeymoon night :mellow:
Oh talk about Rape and being Easy, gosh I remember about JLR against WMK how people were saying Pancake was easy for Oil because they willingly slept together, how pathetic! :rolleyes: and thinking Soriya was a good girl for getting raped because she was not 'easy' she tried to fight :wacko:
so true, SB put me off for R lakorn .. and each time i see them. the r scene replay back in my head. having to see it just urgh. disgusting.

i admit. SORIYA was held against her will. she still innocent no matter what. willing can be justify in so many way not just being easy.
i can't think of anything on how to explain willing but most way, it define love but still easy if they're not marry, idk ..

man, i can not believe there are that many r in SB .. ruined the reputation *barf*

honeymood night :loool: .. that's a good one ..

Phew

sarNie Fansubber
Aww thanks for agreeing but seriously lol, if they do take the r scenes out or lessen it, and add more willing people will than complain about producers and directors making girls easy and delivering a message for young girls out there to be easy and willing to have sexual intercourse -_- nothing can really do it for Thailand :lol: but of course when they make girls willing, at least give it like there is love building upon the relationship beforehand, not go out and suddenly make them sleep with p'ek with no feelings, or just met in a pub, just don't be stupid lol.
Like WMK had a fair reason to have a willing, its not being easy, they loved each other and they were adults, had responsibility and know what is right or wrong. Just up to the directors/writer to use their skills and ability to deliver to the audience in the right way *sigh*

cecilia

Staff member
^exactly. i think if they're adult and come to a conclusion that they can handle it willingly, then it's fine but like you said. don't just go clubbing and expect doing it. It's sick to even think about it. It would be good to see a relationship build up -- conclude in willing scene.

Come to think of it. revenge lakorn can do better too without having to force anyone. Like a short temptation that lead them together to forget about revenge for the time being or something... later, they realize what happen, revenge can either be continue or end . so cheesy but better than raking in high rating by throwing excessive r :lol:

sarN

sarNie Granny
can't have R' scene bad for the boy and "willing" scene is bad for girl cuz its delivering a message for girl to be easy when in love. What will the producer do ? :lol: I'm predicting melodrama from now on like k-drama just minus the real kisses. I alway thought major of viewer is female , i was wrong .

snluvdrama12

sarNie Egg
Thanks everyone for sharing your views on this matter. Dramas are suppose to be dramatic; they are suppose to capture the audiences attention. I like it when the protagonist pushes the boundaries. Do I enjoy rape scenes? Every once in while I guess it makes the drama interesting but lately its just too much. I think the writers need a dose of creativity.
There are many factors that shape our thinking. I think if you surround yourself w/ positive and optimistic people you would be able to distinguish right from wrong and/or reality from fantasy.

I can't wait till Stephenie Meyers finishes Midnight Sun--I know a little off topic.
:D :D :lol: :drool: :drool: :drool:
NO :r-scene-pop-corn:

sphek

sarNie Juvenile
I think they should teach the audiences if u been rape or abuse, they should report to the police. U know.... now, I watch thai lakorn there alot of rape scenes and the character who has been rape didn't report it to the police, just let it go or don't do anything about it. I want thai lakorn to do something about it, the writer should aleast make the victim to go to police or something that make the victim can be stronger and not be afraid or kill herself. I told my mother about why do the thai lakorn always make the victims don't do anything about bein rape or abuse. Its just a lakorn, and I know that but, atleast try showing that there help for bein rape or abuse. That all!

Kayla

sarNie Adult
Asian society is so traditional, you can't win regardless if there is a rape scene or a willing scene. Honestly though a lot of lakorns will be as successful if they had "willing" scene. I don't understand why they want to protray more rape scenes than actual "willing, love making scene". They don't have to protray it as graphic as hollywood, but just enough for the audience's imagination to wonder and understand that love making is not out of force but it's more of a deep, intimate connection between both characters. I do understand that the "willing" scene might protray females as being "easy", but these characters are adults and it is not against the law to have a sexual relationship with your partner if the both are in the legal age limit.

Funny though because I talked about Sawan Bieng to my best friend the other day, stating that the lakorn was entertaining but realistically, what woman in their right mind would accept a guy like Kawee? A rich man with a bunch of emotional scars, who takes out his anger in ways that are distrubing. I'm sorry, but in real life, his action are considered psychotic. Noneless, these type of lakorns in Thailand will always get high ratings because the audience enjoys the sexual tension and suspension. These type of lakorns have always protrayed Asian men as controlling, possessive, and verbally abusive (at times even physically abusive) which are characteristic in a man that I don't believe any woman would want.

Understand that lakorns are purely entertainment, but as some may know, art sometime emulates life. The writers know what scripts will sell to the audience and what will fail. My opinion, the writers need to broaden their horizen when writing storylines and come up with more storylines that can still be interesting and suspenseful minus the rapes and verbal abuse.

fun

Expired Sarnie
i am going to save my answer. i have a feeling its going to be long if i start yapping.

anyways here goes sb and jlr bring contro to the thai entertainment. lmao. these two lakorns sure did make history!!!

max

sarNie Elites
This is a very interesting article. I can understand it from both sides, though.

Acting is acting, but I agree with several parts of this article. I admit that there are a few lakorns where I have "enjoyed" the rape scene(s), but I have never thought of it as appropriate, romantic, love, or whatever you want to call it. In some series, but not all, rape is portrayed as showing the female actress that the actor loves her. What the? No, that is not love. That is abuse, physically, emotionally, and mentally. Only a... I am not sure how to describe that kind of a person, but most likely nobody who is raped will forgive and forget so easily. Also, like someone stated above, how after being raped, the main actress never reports it to the police or share it with someone so that they can lay the law on that person because rape is obviously wrong, not to mention sick and inhumane. I also do not believe that in real life, love can sprout from rape because if I was to ever be raped, I would probably end up killing myself or live with a mental and an emotional scar for life.

At the same time, I can identify between entertainment and reality. I do not care if rape scenes are rmovied of if they remain. Either way, I believe that there are reasonable arguments to support either decision: If rape scens are removed, it is because it sends out the wrong message. If rape scenes remain... then if people do not like it, then simply do not watch it. Not only that, but producers work in ways to satisfy their viewers wishes. If viewers enjoy rape scenes, then producers cannot satisfy their viewer's wishes if such scenes are banned. Like I said, I can see it from both sides, so yes, I probably sound contradicting, but I can understand from both sides.

*Right, Hollywood reveals so much more in such "sexual" scenes, but most, not always, revealing Hollywood scenes usually consist of "willing" scenes, rather than raping scenes. There is a difference...

neena

sarNie Adult
rape is wrong, everyone knows that. i do agree with the person who wrote this. but a lot of thai lakorns that i've seen have those r scenes...so its not only jam leuy ruk and sawan being. i think they were the highest rated lakorns of the year so the author targeted them but i think thats kinda wrong, he should look at other thai lakorns too...not only does JLR and SB have those scenes and plots. i won't say that i liked the rape scene in JLR because in the end i will still end up sayin' why HARIT? its not really necessary at all. SB, i've heard had a lot of rape scenes and its more intense...i have to admit....i think JLR fueled the fire and SB set it off for everyone, even editors of the bangkok post.

i feel like everyone else who thinks that the rape scenes in SB were just too much...for the first time watching a thai lakorn i felt very disturbed and yea, i ain't into r scenes anytime soon. SB killed it.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
We all know that Rape is wrong, I guess that there are people out there who can't identify the difference between acting and reality.
I am with you there.

TV is make believe. I suppose this so-called new analyst would waste his time and write an article on "stop justying killings" in Chinese dramas too? I grew up watching sword fighting movies where the Pa'aek would seek out revenge on those who killed his family. And I grew up watching Lakorns where Pa'aek R scenes Na'aek then they live happily ever after at the end, and not to mention all those violent American movies. But what do you know, I grew up to be a normal human being, and not some pyscho running around killing people with a mashede. Why? Because as with other viewers who watch these kinds of make believe, I am able to tell the difference between a movie set and real life, knowing these storylines has been in movie plots for literally ages. Perhaps, if this author can't handle something so simply put, he should live on his own island and watch monkeys do it.

Jieb_Lover

sarNie OldFart
I didn't know SB had 4 scenes I think its overrated too much r scenes 1 is okay for me but at the fans were happy/satisdfied with the lakorn :]

badginger

sarNie Egg
Please, everyone our age knows that TV is make believe. Ever spare a thought for younger kids..? Kids at the age where they're easily influenced? Even if their parents don't let them they can still watch it from outside TV and stuff. Just for ratings, you make a girl gets raped so many times. How can you smile and be proud of it? But i'm greatly amused though, watching you ppl get so worked up for it, when you know rape is wrong in the first place.

cecilia

Staff member
^huh? .. anyway, i admit, i did enjoy 3 r lakorn with one r scene with reasonable reasons but SB really killed it for me though :(

I am with you there.

TV is make believe. I suppose this so-called new analyst would waste his time and write an article on "stop justying killings" in Chinese dramas too? I grew up watching sword fighting movies where the Pa'aek would seek out revenge on those who killed his family. And I grew up watching Lakorns where Pa'aek R scenes Na'aek then they live happily ever after at the end, and not to mention all those violent American movies. But what do you know, I grew up to be a normal human being, and not some pyscho running around killing people with a mashede. Why? Because as with other viewers who watch these kinds of make believe, I am able to tell the difference between a movie set and real life, knowing these storylines has been in movie plots for literally ages. Perhaps, if this author can't handle something so simply put, he should live on his own island and watch monkeys do it.
LMAO ...monkey spanking !
you two got me bad .. laughing and rollling on the floor . MONKEY BUSINESS .. :loool: . not to mention. alone at the island too :lol:

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
humm...some of the stuff he said about the lakorn isn't true .

Reflecting on other popular soaps where rape was central to the plot, one would of the top of his head mention Jamleuy Rak (Prisoner of Love). The title already implies that the female lead is so in love with the male lead that she is willing to be treated like a slave by the guy. If you have ever seen this long-time favourite of Thai audiences, the female lead actually, over time, falls in love with the male lead even though he repeatedly rapes her.

#1 - the tittle doesn't implies that . the title mean the female was accuse ( the defender ) of a love that cause his brother to kill himself . I wonder if the writer lisent to the theme song ?

#2- he did not repeatedly rape her ...just attempt lmao...
^SarN, i just had to laugh at that..^

even though this is somewhat a serious matter i can understand both sides.

it a soap, im not saying it right but what about murder crimes that show audience how to get away with big time crimes isnt it the same thing.... you have to distinguish with reality and dream.... or what about the violent cartoons our kids watch, spongebob is not all that innocent ....wht dont they just banned tv shows and only have the news ch. but the news ch, is always bad news anyways
i so agree with you on this one!!! theres many more cartoons out there that are so wrong for the kids to be watching! it teaches kids both good & bad *if you ask me its more towards the bad side (name calling, physical abuse, even attitude problem)...if one cant make the right judgement there is no one to blame but themselves! not to mention reality tv..and what bout those csi forensic show! it shows certain crimes can be solved even after 25 yrs, techniques that the perpetrator leave behind to get themself caught. the list can go on and on... how bout no tv at all..everything seems to bring up another issue one way or another.

*but damn wouldnt this world be so freaking boring!! now it comes back to that word..."entertainment"

well, ya know what this mean ? In 2009 , we going see more "willing" scene :wub:
lol more willing...how many ways can it not make n'ek look like an easy girl, you know what i mean???

ps. these rapes isnt just found in thai lakorns..you can find it in chinese series..korean, cambodian, etc. by the way the p'ek does get their punishment for their so~call crime...it might not be a harsh one but still... its with the karma thing!

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
the difference between real life rape & lakorn rape is in lakorn pra'ek doesn't physically abuse the nang'ek. i haven't seen a lakorn where pra'ek punches, slaps or kicks the nang'ek. in real life, theres abuse and it's worst. in lakorn, pra'ek pretty much just force himself on the nang'ek & it's not like they are showing the actual rape itself. [good thing they don't because it will be too much.]

i agree with what the writer is saying but they shouldn't put all the blame on the actresses/actors. the writers are the ones who are writing these lakorn scripts. i'm not saying point all the fingers on the script writers but if they want to remove all rape scene, then they should regulate what lakorns are being promoted or aired. don't f-ing complain about it, do something about it. if people want to take out the rape scene from lakorns, then so be it. there are still lots of lakorn out there that are good without a rape scene. by adding a rape scene just adds spice to the lakorn.

i admit the rape scene in SB was a bit too much, but that wasn't the reason why i watched SB. i watched it because of the cast & the storyline, & the chemistry ken & anne have onscreen. If SB were to only have 1 rape scene, i think it would still be a hit.

i have more to say so i'll be back.

jeanie

sarNie Adult
Is the problem with SB that it had multiple rape scenes instead of just one? One time rape is ok but multiple times is wrong? Rape is rape no matter how many times it is. Did the old rape scene in Kob/Brook's version cause as much controversy? I thought that one was a bit more disturbing visually.

I think this is all just a manifestation of Thai's struggle to become more westernized yet still maintain their tradition. On one hand you have a generation of people that are becoming more exposed to western ideals and values and that includes a strong feminist stance and crimes against women. On the other hand you still have a generation of traditionally minded people that will have a problem with sex before marriage. How do you solve this? Take sex completely out of the equation? I'm not sure but it seems to me like the majority in Thai rather see rape than willing scenes if ratings are anything to go by. People seem to have a strange fascination with rough love. It's like a train wreck that you can't look away from. Wrong but oh so entertaining.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Like someone mentioned. It's not about distinguishing btw reality and fiction. And I don't think the writer intended to criticize the actors or actresses either. And even though the author mentions "repeated rapes," it's not even about the numbers [either]. Heck, it's not even about the ratings. So yeah, sb and jlr was targeted b/c of their ratings like some mentioned, but that doesn't change the author's argument at all. Anyway. I can't write much at the moment. All I have to say, is that I'm neither for or against this. I won't be one of those advocates who seek to rid R scenes from Thai soap operas even though I consider myself a strong feminist. I have been watching r scenes since I was 4. It's a social norm we're all accustomed to. If I thought ppl who tolerate R scenes are total freaks, I wouldn't be in SW. However if this does become an official public policy issue, I won't defend it either. I think it's imprtant that we actually seriously acknowledge the issue, regardless of our personal preference. So basically, I'm not even taking any passionate stance. It's just that I see the majority of ppl here using very defensive rhetoric. And that's exactly what I think the author meant to show. She/He's killing two birds w/ one stone whether he/she knows it or not. We're not just justifying rape in the lakorn b/c of love, but we're justifying the show itself b/c it gives us entertainment and pleasure. Kudos.

iluvjin

sarNie Adult
I say rape is wrong and thai lakorns shouldn't promote it so much but it's not as bad as killing someone. SB I loved it because of Ken and Ann, they are a great couple that you shouldn't miss the world for. American show are worst they show sex and murder as if it's a everyday thing. Rape isn't that big on lakorns for me because I know no one is stupid enough to do it. It's entertainment and if they can't tell the difference then they are the wrong ones not the show.