[Tutorial] Blinkies!

Muddie Murda

smile...
Making Blinkies Muddie Murda's Way...

This is the way I make my blinkies. Doing things my way requires ALOT of patient. If you do not have enough patients...do not attempt anything. -_- Please.............................

Program Requirements:
-Photoshop
-Paint Shop Pro
-Animation Shop

Our Goal:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b282/the...nkies/sopha.gif

Steps:

1) We will be using this picture. Usually, I can work with any picture, pixelated or not, I can fix it up in photoshop a bit.

2) Resize it to about a good blinkie size picture. Just focus on his head. Don't make it too big or too small.

You can "enhance" your picture with effects/brighten/contrast/whatever. Do this now if you'd like to fix up your picture.

3) The cutting! Zoom in until you have a good view. Then select the "Lasso" tool.

4) Cut a nice smooth shape around his head. This may take SEVERAL tries.

If you cut a shape that is ALMOST perfect, keep it.

Notice a not so smooth part. Do not worry! Go to "select" at the top menu, and click on "inverse.� This would inverse your selection. With the "Lasso" tool again and while holding down your "Shift" key, draw around the messed up part.
DO NOT FORGET YOUR SHIFT KEY! It's your best friend!

This would cut out the messed up part, giving you a chance to start over on that part again.

Go back up to "select" and "inverse" your selection. With your "lasso" tool and While holding down your shift key, redraw the smooth edge. If it's not perfect, undo it, and try again.

If you made your shape, but have a little tiny spot that isn't selected such as the example below...

With your lasso tool and while holding down your shift key, just draw around that left over spot.

Muddie Murda

smile...
[Blinkie tutorial continue 2]

6) Okay! So you have your selected cut out shape! Go to "Edit" at the top menu and select "copy merged.�

7) Go to "file" at the top menu, and click "new.� Make your new document around 300x200.

8) Go to "Edit" > "Paste"

9) Now to stroke your cut out picture. Go to "edit" > "Stroke.� Use the below info.

10) Go back to "edit" > Stoke then use the below info.

11) Look at your cut out shape. Is it smooth like you wanted? Yes??? Skip down to step 17...If not, use a cheating tool. :D

12) The cheating tool. It's not really a cheating tool, I just call it that. It's really an eraser. :p On your history, go back to the part right before you did the 2 stroking. Like when you first pasted the cut shaped into the new document.

13) Click on the "eraser" tool, and select the following brush. NOTHING ELSE! (well you can go smaller if you want, but use THAT style brush only, not the ones that looks like the one after I have selected below.

14) Remember when after you stroked it, you noticed a not so smooth spot? Zoom in, and carefully erase just a LITTLE, and I mean little little, part of it.

15) After that, go back to the steps where you start stroking again. After the stroke, if it's still not smooth like you wanted, undo it and use the cheating tool once more.

You're cut out picture is now perfect with a strokes! Now you must add text!

17) For text, "the bigger text" you can use any font you want. Just make sure the "strong" or "Sharp" is selected. You can mess around w/ the "tracking" to bring the letters closer together for a better look.

18) On your Layer Palette, right click on the text you've just created and click "blending options.�

19) On the left hand side, Check the box "Stroke" and select it to see the options. I usually make my big text a size "2" with strokes. Not too big, not too small. Since my aim is for a black stroke, I chose the black color.

20) I've decided to be lazy and just use a gradient to decorate my big text. Check the "Gradient Overlay" box and click on it to view the options. Click on "preview" so you can preview your text while you mess around w/ the option. After you've selected the colors you want your gradient to be, mess w/ the "angle" to even out the colors on the text.

21) Click Ok on those and then move the "big text" to where you want it to be on your blinkie.

22) Now, we worry about the "small text" or "subtext.� My favorite font to use for this is "04b_03.� Make sure the following are selected:

Muddie Murda

smile...
[Blinkie tutorial continue 3]

23) I used black for the subtext, just to show you where it is. Now select your text and change it to white color. On your "Layer palette,� right click on the subtext and click "blending options.�

Stroke it with the following info. (Again the color is your choice)

24) Does it look okay so far?? You're almost done with this part...Since it's your special blinkie you've created, you want your name on it right?? Using a pixel font (I favor 04b, size 8, and "none" :D ) type in your name. Make sure this is white, and drag it somewhere close to the other texts but not messing up your future dots. (I made mines black just so you can see where I placed my name.)

25) Now on the Layer Palette, click on the eye for both of the subtext and your name text layers. This will hide them.

26) Make sure one of the showing layers (w/ the eye) is selected. Go to "layers" at the top and go down to "merge visible.�

27) On the Layer Palette, right click on the merged layer, and go to "blending options." Check the "stroke" box and click on it for option. Use the following info:

This will keep the strokes you've made before, nice and smooth.

After this, click back to show the eyes next to the text you hid before!! Don't forget!!

28) Go to File > Save > name it > drop down to "GIF" > save to a place where you can find it.

It should look something similar to this:

Wah-lah! You're almost half way done. -_- Now you're done w/ Photoshop. You can close it out if you like. We will now be using Animation Shop and Paintshop pro.

29) Open up your GIF file in "animation shop.� Right click on it > Copy

30) Open up paintshop pro > paste

31) Using the "Dot" tutorial I made weeks before, paint in your dots!!

http://www.sarnworld.com/discuzz/index.php...findpost&p=8487

This is really tricky, and takes a lot more patience. Pick a style, pattern you'd like your dots to flow.

32) After all that hard work, you would open up the layer palette if you haven't already. Right-click on one of the layers > go to merge > Merge visible

33) Copy it, and paste it into "Animation Shop"

Muddie Murda

smile...
[Blinkie tutorial continue 4]

34) Animating time!! Like I said earlier...I was lazy, so I'm just going to make the subtext blink, but in a nice way. :D

First, select the colors you would use to blinke the subtext with. I've chosen 3 shades, excluding white. For the darkest shade, I had selected a color from the big text, just to match the rest of the blinkie.

To keep up with your shades, click on the "custom colors" box, select your darkest shade color, and click on "add custom.� Do this again for the next lighter shade, and the next. You can use as many shades as you want, But I'm just using 3.

35) After you've selected your colors, right click on frame number 1, copy it, and press "ctrl+shift+L.� This would paste the image after the current one. Paste a few frames. If you need more, you can add more to it later.

36) Make sure your color is on the darkest shade. Click on the "fill tool,� zoom in to about 2:1 or 3:1, or closer. Whatever suits you. Begin filling in the letters on each frame with that dark shade color.

Make sure you're on the right frame. On each frame, color in the next letter, and the next, and so on. You might need to add more frames (copy and paste the image) if you run out of frames before you finish the fill on the last letter.

37) Next, go to the next shade color. You would be filling in the letters that was before the darker shade. Like below:

Your last shade should be the plain blinkie you had first started with.

38) For the speed, it is set on default, which is "10.� We want to speed up the blinking.

Go to Edit > select all

Then go to animation > Frame properties > set to 7

Muddie Murda

smile...
[Blinkie tutorial continue 5]

39) On the last frame, click on it, and go to animation > frame properties

I will set it to 100, so the blinkie has time to pause, before it blinks again.

40) After all the speed is set, go to Animation > Animation Properties > Looping > select "repeat the animation indefinitely.�

41) Go to File > Save > name it > save > click on "customize" and make sure the following is set:

42) Make sure the setting is set to "better image quality" then click next.

It'll then give you the basic info such as the size and how long it'll take to load. Click Finish.

You are SOOO done!

That's it! You should get something that looks like this:

TIPS - DO’s and DON’Ts - with the help of alicee – [if it’s mean, then it’s her tip not mines. :D j/k]

1) Cut the picture out 'peacefully'. Cut it out, so you don't get the feeling that it's 'rough' or uneven. Every art piece needs to be balance, no matter what they are: paintings, drawings, graphics, blinkies, etc. Cutting out the person, don’t leave too much space to the side or on top unless on the bottom, that’s where you plan to add the big text.

Cutting is not the most fun…

I have to cut mines 10-100 times before I find the right cut shape for some of mines. :(

2) Take your time! You're hands will hurt, but the results will be better!

3) On jumping dots, do dot by dot. T_T not 10 dots by 10 dots...

4) DONT MAKE THE FREAKIN STROKE SO DAMN THICK! Jeebus!

5) Do make sure to freakin resize the blinkie before you put text -_-" gosh

========

Good luck with this…and MY TUTORIAL! Steal, then you…you will have bad karma and Muddie will hate you forever! ^_^

Kayla

sarNie Adult
awww...Mudde...me love you!!

Thanks for going step by step! I will definitely try it out tonight when I get home. :D

sarN

sarNie Granny
holy smoke !!!!! i think im learning to do dis ! Though the first movie picture i done come out a little bit tacky but i know the basic now and if i spend more time on it .. im sure i dont need u no more muddie hahahaha. I only have one problem ... i can't design ! Im awful at doing dat just look at my main site lollll none of the wall paper dat use is mine it belong to my friend on aim hahaha i just know i like colorfull text and dat my design :p

sarN

sarNie Granny

OMG ---> look Muddie !! I finally done it ! I kind of mess up a little but the point is i learn something new today ! Cool ! I'll learn binkie next lollll

sarN

sarNie Granny
lolz .. it take me several hours to figure it out too .. i should be in bed but it mind bothering when u can't get it right cant' sleep :p

sarN

sarNie Granny
look muddie i done it ! my first binkie .. :w000t:
a little to big but u know hhahaa it take me all morning and i have done the dot but it look ugly lol ... i learn something cool today ! Im goin master wallpaper next lolll

Mann

dang sarN you did good job..... sarN if it wasn't for you i wouldn't of been doing animations right now cuz you introduced me to ulead gif animatior :p :p :D

sarN

sarNie Granny
making animation is easy but to design one is hard ! right now im trying to put all the stuff i learn from dis tutor haha and make a cool banner for myself . It so time comsuming but it ok Aj Aj Fighting! Dis been a cool month . i learn to sub title movie , make movie picture and binkie !!!! Prolly goin try dancing next :lmao: