[Thairath TV] Ugly Betty Thailand

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Ok, watched the first episode and I don't care for Betty in here. It truly annoyed me when they make the N'ek act overboard this way. Ugly Betty's character has a calm, clumsiness about her. Even her being awkward was so charming. American's facial expressions were very well done. She is not the uppity, exaggerating, eyes popping girl. I can't don't think I can sit through however many episodes of the Thai version. The N'ek to me, is unappealing...especially the acting.

sarN

sarNie Granny
^^^^ I remember watching the original on cable tv. I would put the caption on , it was in Spanish, I had a Spanish/English dictionary on hand & was flipping thur page just to catch phases & try to figure out what they were talking about hahaha. I always thought Betty was a virgin b/c of her appearance but later on after she slept w/ the boss , we found out she was not , she was in love before & got her heart broken on a bet & he use her ^^^^ it was sadddddd. She turn pretty near the end & wow everyone that was the best part. I never watch the American version.

khmaichick559

sarNie Hatchling
sarN said:
^^^^ I remember watching the original on cable tv. I would put the caption on , it was in Spanish, I had a Spanish/English dictionary on hand & was flipping thur page just to catch phases & try to figure out what they were talking about hahaha. I always thought Betty was a virgin b/c of her appearance but later on after she slept w/ the boss , we found out she was not , she was in love before & got her heart broken on a bet & he use her ^^^^ it was sadddddd. She turn pretty near the end & wow everyone that was the best part. I never watch the American version.
Which spanish one did u watch???

sarNie Adult
I watched the Colombian version (Betty La Fea), I think it was the original one. That version was really nice because all the characters had a good part and they all had distinct personalities that bounced off from each other when they interacted. The Betty was also socially awkward, a real ugly duckling so to speak, but she was very nice and timid  but very very smart. She also had disciplinarian parents and she was very conservative - so I guess that's why she was more quiet and timid in the Colombian version. Part of the charm of the show is how Betty's character accepts "falling in love" even though at the back of her mind, she knew she was bound to get played (since she was smart and she was timid to the point of having low self esteem) but when she gets her heart broken, she rises up and decides to come out of her shell and boom. everyone is surprised at how beautiful she truly was. 

I suppose this version is more loosely based on the American version (though I haven't seen that one). That's why the Betty is more upbeat. I would have wanted to see a Thai treatment of the Colombian version, I thought it would have had a closer connection to the culture, etc. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I watched the American's version. America (that is her real name) in Ugly Betty. America has such a way making Betty come alive. She was clumsy, has such a high self awareness about herself and the awkwardness was so well done.

The Thai version should try to stick to America's performance because it was not over the top. In here, the N'ek is just way too much. Those silly comical expressions are not cute at all...the over exaggeration takes away from the scenes for me.

fun

Expired Sarnie
I have never seen the original but I had a glance at the American version twice. One by curiosity and the other because it was just on.

Betty here looks like she is 30. Isn't she supposed to be like 22?

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I thought Betty in here looks old...When she first appeared on screen and they love to do a close up...she looks old...older than the guy.

lenlin

sarNie Juvenile
I haven't seen the Thai version yet, but from the picture, Ugly Betty does seem a lot older.

byebye said:
Ok, watched the first episode and I don't care for Betty in here. It truly annoyed me when they make the N'ek act overboard this way. Ugly Betty's character has a calm, clumsiness about her. Even her being awkward was so charming. American's facial expressions were very well done. She is not the uppity, exaggerating, eyes popping girl. I can't don't think I can sit through however many episodes of the Thai version. The N'ek to me, is unappealing...especially the acting.
Well all I know is that the American version was a remake of the Mexican version, which was a remake of the Columbian version that was a remake of the Venezuelan version (or perhaps not quite like that, but you get the idea that it's been remade A LOT of times). The main difference between the American version and all the other ones is that there's no love line between Betty and "Daniel," so to consider the American version the end all be all of Ugly Betty would be an error. The American Ugly Betty possessed the most charm and confidence of all the other Ugly Bettys. The two other Ugly Bettys I've watched were very socially awkward and rather unlikable in a way, so if the Thai version took after them, it would be in keeping with the "original," but it is something I wish the Thai had done away with.