Swine Flu - 331 confirmed cases worldwide

judyp

sarNie Adult
okay, i was reading more info about this whole swine flu with my sister earlier. and i THOUGHT you couldn't get the virus from eating pork however, after reading this little FAQ on the CDC website, im having second thoughts.

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.
im sorry, but they just contradicted themselves. you can't get the swine flu from eating pork or pork products, but you can get the virus from not cooking pork to a certain temp? im sorry but from what i read, you can get the virus from eating pork! i don't personally know anyone who actually measures the internal temperature of their meat besides restaurants. i am going to be safe and stay away from pork period until this whole issue gets resolved. some officials say that we shouldn't be panicking. hellooo!! it is at a level 5, just a level below from being a pandemic! that is HUGE! i personally think that these health officials don't know much about the virus either and they are confusing the crap out of everyone. unfortunately, all we can really do is wait and protect ourselves by practicing good hygiene. wash your hands often. don't touch your face after touching dirty surfaces. stay away from sick people. avoid crowds if you can.

kulyia

RUK
isaw on msn it has reach 6 already???

&&

BTW

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.

LINKIE

btw again try carrying a hand sanitizer small or big. we have them at skool and imay need to go to 99cent section at Target. we have a big one for sensitive skins at home. always be Cautious you guys. Remember to check the doc Just in case. I heard you may even have it 8 or 7 days before actually noticing you have a sore throat or a high fever.

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
We have to realized that thousands die every year just from the flu. This is really hyped, but I get they are being safe. Like others have said, practice good hygiene and take extra precautions but still go on living your life. I think if it is time for you to go, it will happen one way or another.

We need to realize we live in a country that is ahead in medical and science not to mention pretty clean and sanitary. The virus has been killing "healthy" people coz their bodies essentially attacks itself from working so hard to kill the virus. Anyway, I need to go on living with my every day life not be afraid. There will be worse things than this...it says so in the Bible.

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
Don't be scared. The bird flu was contained, this will too. I've been freaking out-worrying all week for what? I had to send my DH to Texas today-fortunately to Austin, but my parents just got back from Maryland and they just announced a case there. I already visited them, maybe I got the virus now.

fun

Expired Sarnie
i think CA was one of the very first states reported to have the flu...
Well CA does get illegal immigrant yearly. I have been extra careful. Anyone who is sick, I stay away from literally. My sister is sick, I am in a different room. She can't come near me. That is how scared I am because when she told me about 2 people at her school who caught the swine flu. She is going to the doctor tomorrow to see if it just a common cold or the scary virus.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
How did the little boy die ?? Wasn't he in an American hospital where there are medical advances and technologies??

noungning

Heartless
okay, i was reading more info about this whole swine flu with my sister earlier. and i THOUGHT you couldn't get the virus from eating pork however, after reading this little FAQ on the CDC website, im having second thoughts.

im sorry, but they just contradicted themselves. you can't get the swine flu from eating pork or pork products, but you can get the virus from not cooking pork to a certain temp? im sorry but from what i read, you can get the virus from eating pork! i don't personally know anyone who actually measures the internal temperature of their meat besides restaurants. i am going to be safe and stay away from pork period until this whole issue gets resolved. some officials say that we shouldn't be panicking. hellooo!! it is at a level 5, just a level below from being a pandemic! that is HUGE! i personally think that these health officials don't know much about the virus either and they are confusing the crap out of everyone. unfortunately, all we can really do is wait and protect ourselves by practicing good hygiene. wash your hands often. don't touch your face after touching dirty surfaces. stay away from sick people. avoid crowds if you can.
yeah u can get the flu from pork consumption if it's not cooked... but this is known with all bacteria that moves from animals to humans... as long as you cook it, completely cooked, not blue, rear, medium rear, etc. that's also why most sushi places have a disclaimer that you are consuming raw seafood that it may negatively affect you and therefore they aren't as liable for your illness if that's the case...

this goes along with raw eggs and etc...

How did the little boy die ?? Wasn't he in an American hospital where there are medical advances and technologies??
well i think it's because they do have the medical advances, but they don't know what can be used to treat someone who is severely infected by this flu already? i'm not sure myself.

as for someone who said it's up to 6 now on msnbc??? i don't know but the WHO site is still at 5.

New Issues Arising:
Racism coming to the surface once again!
Many states lack the treatment medications for this situation
Flu spreads to 19 states
Confirmed number of cases up to 331 worldwide, 156 in Mexico, 141 in US and the rest are in other countries

Confirmed death due to the flu have been confirmed 1 for US, 12 for Mexico. They are still investigating the other deaths and suspects about 20 more are due to the flu.

As those mentioned... the level 5 is scary. But once you read these articles and see from many other medias trying to clam the citizens down, it's NOT as scary, it's just highly contagious and we should protect ourselves from being infected with this virus. The level 5 is just confirming that this is now known for a FACT that it can pass from human to human. And it's only being rapidly passing in the US.

Us precaution, and if you want hand sanitizers, Purrell has a coupon :lol: click on the lower left hand side that says $2 coupon something something... and bring it to places with ya ;)

CTR

The Realist guy here period
In any crisis, don't panic. Just use good common sense and good hygiene besides the one in the US is mild. It is not call the Swine Flu anymore because you can't get it by consuming pork. H1N1 is the proper name.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/44087522.html
http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/20948/...em-in-name-only
http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/2...ealth-news.html

Throughout history, there have been outbreak of various diseases, sickness, virus infections, etc. However, this is nature's way of wavering out the weak and the strong. Look at the Black Death in Europe. The plague wiped out 30-60% of the population but the other 70%-30% survive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

max

sarNie Elites
I have been extremely paranoid about getting this flu, especially because I live in a big city. I almost want to start wearing a mask everywhere I go, but I would feel kind of silly because I have not seen anybody around. Anyways, do you guys recommend a regular flu shot? I do not think I have ever had one before...

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
Don't be scared. The bird flu was contained, this will too. I've been freaking out-worrying all week for what? I had to send my DH to Texas today-fortunately to Austin, but my parents just got back from Maryland and they just announced a case there. I already visited them, maybe I got the virus now.
for real? there's a confirmed case in md? i live here in md and they said dat deres 11 probable cases but none have been confirmed yet and they're waitin on results.

CTR

The Realist guy here period
I have been extremely paranoid about getting this flu, especially because I live in a big city. I almost want to start wearing a mask everywhere I go, but I would feel kind of silly because I have not seen anybody around. Anyways, do you guys recommend a regular flu shot? I do not think I have ever had one before...

Max, just relax a bit. B) Stay calm. The regular flu shot won't do any good on this one because it is new. By the end of the summer, this one will die down because the flu virus does not like the heat. However, when the winter comes around, it might come back. I think they are working on the vacancy right now so it will be here in time by fall or winter. You could never know what strand will come in the winter because a virus can mutate. If you are healthy and strong then your body can fight it off. That is why we get sick ever winter from the flu because the flu virus mutate itself. If it doesn't mutate, our body would defeat very quickly because it has seen it before.

There are probable cases here in Wisconsin but I'm using good common sense. Washing my hands regularly and not touching my nose or eyes.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Swine Flu in Mexico declining!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8031761.stm

Swine flu in Mexico, the epicentre of the world outbreak, has peaked, the Mexican health minister has said.

Jose Angel Cordova said the virus, blamed for at least 19 deaths in Mexico, appeared to have peaked between 23-28 April.

"The evolution of the epidemic is now in its declining phase," Mr Cordova told a news conference.

World Health Organization officials said authorities should remain vigilant as the virus could return.

Asked about Mr Cordova's comments, WHO official Gregory Hartl said the current "round of activity" could have peaked.

But he added: "We cannot lower our guard. There is a high possibility that this virus will come back, especially in colder periods."

'Pork safe'

The WHO says it has found swine flu in 787 people in 17 countries, while collated national figures give a tally of more than 800.

Person-to-person transmission has been confirmed in six countries.

In Mexico, just over 100 people are thought to have died from the virus, though only 19 cases have been confirmed.

CONFIRMED CASES
Mexico: 101 suspected deaths - 19 confirmed
US: One death, 226 confirmed cases
New Zealand: 4 confirmed cases
Canada: 85 confirmed cases
Spain: 20 confirmed cases
UK: 16 confirmed cases
Germany: 6 confirmed cases
Israel: 3 confirmed cases
France: 2 confirmed cases
Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, South Korea, Italy, Irish Republic, Costa Rica, Colombia: 1 confirmed case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Countries with confirmed cases of secondary transmission:
Mexico, US, Canada, Spain, Germany, UK

Mapping the outbreak
Clashes erupt over Egypt pig cull
Did Mexico over-react to flu?
The first cases surfaced at the end of the northern hemisphere's winter flu season, and experts fear that infections could accelerate in the autumn.

WHO food safety scientist Peter Ben Embarek said increased surveillance was necessary after the virus was found to have infected pigs in Canada.

But he said there was no recommendation to cull animals, and pork remained safe to eat.

"From a consumer point of view there is no risk from consuming cooked pork products," he said.

The herd of pigs in the western Canadian province of Alberta was apparently infected by a farm worker who recently returned from Mexico.

Mr Ben Embarek said the infection of the pigs was not a surprise and that both the animals and the worker were recovering.

In Egypt, the government moved to cull all the country's pigs following the swine flu outbreak.

There have been no cases of swine flu in Egypt, and the decision triggered protests from Coptic Christian pig farmers.

Meanwhile the US Centers of Disease Control and Prevention said the number of confirmed cases in the United States had risen from 160 to 226.

US health officials interviewed on Sunday TV talk shows said the flu outbreak appeared not to be as dangerous as they initially thought.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
Anyone heard the flu pandemic back in 1918 that killed about 40 millions people worldwide? Well, I'm thinking this flu type might be the same or similar to the one back in 1918. If it is than it's gonna be deadly. Hope they find a vaccine or something to prevent it from happening.

Read more about the Flu pandemic back in 1918 here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

kulyia

RUK
Anyone heard the flu pandemic back in 1918 that killed about 40 millions people worldwide? Well, I'm thinking this flu type might be the same or similar to the one back in 1918. If it is than it's gonna be deadly. Hope they find a vaccine or something to prevent it from happening.

Read more about the Flu pandemic back in 1918 here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

how did the flu stop?? is it like the yellow fever?

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
soooo i heard dat dis "swine flu" was actually da regular flu. somebody from china had da flu and flew to da US to go to mexico and dats how it started.

noungning

Heartless
no, it didn't stop, it's actually spreading more and was on the news like last week mentioning how at this point it is unstoppable since there isn't really much to prevent it besides common sense and practicing hand hygiene. i think it is a bit devastating how they are just pushing this to the side and keeping it low key because they know how BIG this can affect the world and its economy if people are scared.

the world would slowly stop working. people will then start to freak out, walk around with masks on & gloves on, not want to go anywhere, consumer goods won't sell because no one will go out to buy anything. it'd be a global disaster not just physically but mentally draining and damaging and financially deterring.

here's some numbers u can look at - http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_07_06/en/index.html