Subtitling tutorial!

darvil

sarNie Adult
Ok first I use a very simple program. I don't think right now we should focus on complex systems and advanced stuff. We can do alot with subs but lets just get the basics done.

Anyway I use a program called Subtitle Workshop. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use it. Its very simple and effective.

Download the program Subtitle Workshop (click on one of the mirror)

Install the program and run it.

Now first load the movie

Now you can Open an existing SUB or you can click on NEW subtitle

If you click on NEW subtitle this will show up

Now let me load a full picture so you can see everything.

1. #1 is the play button.. as you play you can pause when you hear the voice of the person speak.. basically thats when you want the subtitle to appear.

2. #2 is where the time appears.. As you can see in the picture the time is 12:10:193 .. That means its 12 minutes and 10 seconds and .193 second.

3. #3 is where you see the show and hide.. now as you can see the voice starts at 12:10:193.. Now since you hear the voice you know you are already a little bit off.. so you could round a little early .. something like 12:10:000. Easy enough. Now press play again and wait til the person is done with that line.. Now observe the time on #2 .. then type that in the the HIDE box. Got that? Remember when you fill the "show" and "hide" press enter after filling the numbers in.

4. #4 should be obvious.. this is where you type in the subtitle.

Now how do you add more lines?

Just push "INSERT" on your keyboard to add new lines.. and if you hit too many then press "Delete" to get rid of them. In case you forgot to add a line and want to add one in between.. all you do is click on the subtitle where you want to add then push "INSERT".

Now SAVE OFTEN.

When you save it will ask you what format you want to save it is.. Pick the choice shown on the graphic. Its a Subrip (SRT) file format. This is the one we want to stick with for now.

AND I REPEAT SAVE OFTEN

cecilia

Staff member
sound simple..okie..i'm gonna start my project then...

thanks for the easy step..kekek...

darvil

sarNie Adult
Captainlover said:
i'm just wondering if u have this program and do these subtitles does it take space in your computer?
[post="7199"][/post]​
naw the program is very very tiny.. like a few megabytes and the subs lol extremely tiny.

Captainlover

sarNie Elites
just one question how do u get the subtitle to stay there on the video when u just write something down.
the saving is kinda confusing.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Captainlover said:
just one question how do u get the subtitle to stay there on the video when u just write something down.
the saving is kinda confusing.
[post="7409"][/post]​
huh? I don't understand what you're saying.

The subtitle stays on however long as you "specify" on the times.. you want it to stay 5 seconds then put 5 seconds in between the time when you want it to appear and disappear.

Captainlover

sarNie Elites
sorry to borther u again but where is the place where u put in the time how long u want the subtitle to stay and when u want it to be?

darvil

sarNie Adult
look at the large picture where there are #1 #2 #3 and #4

Look at #4

You see it says 12:07:700 and 12:13:800 ? that means show from 12 minutes 7 seconds and 700 split seconds to 12 minutes 13 seconds and 800 split second.. so do the math.. you see how many seconds it shows?

Where you figure out when to show the sub is on #2

t0nz

sarNie Juvenile
okay, I have a problem. I am was subbing hua jai chocolate earlier today, and I saved it and exited it because I wanted to take a break. Well, I am trying to continue subbing but when I open the movie and subs the movie wont show any pictures. When i press play its like all black. so..anybody..wanna help me with my problem.

kermint

sarNie Adult
hey, Darvil. the picture above it doesn't show............can you post it again please.............

i have the same question as "Tonz" do........like when i save it and then i try to open again but it won't work........i don't know what wrong with.............

show more detail plese....................

thanks,

million thanks

W

wat if we no hav subs to load...

do we need to hav the subs in a file or can we jus use the program to write subs.....would we need a special program to write the subs to open it on the SUBTITLE WORKSHOP......

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^no, you don't need to have anything except the video. subtitle workshop acutally makes the subs for you. If you want to edit an already-made subtitle file, like fix the timing etc., subtitle workshop can also do that for you.

Another subtitling program I recommend is Media Subtitler. I find it a lot easier to make subs with (like getting the general timing) and then I go to SW to make the timing for precise.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Need help subbing please ... :D

I've never done subbing before, and it's my first try, trying to play around with it. Hopefully I can help sub something.
But I'm all confused, can someone help me please. I followed the steps Darvil said to do... and I managed to get one line sub to show up... but the following lines won't show up at all. Can someone tell me what I did wrong or show me again how to do it? Thank you in advance.

nalika

sarNie Hatchling
what you could do is watch the movie on any media player, while watching, open notepad and type in everything being say in the notepad. Once you're done with that you could use subtitle workshop or my personal favorite subtitle ware "aegisub". Load your notepad and movie, and start timing. I just find that it save a lot more time this way. (at least for me)