SINGING TUTORIAL

minankumo

sarNie Adult
Basic Singing Tips

Sing from your gut, not with your throat.
a. Your power and voice projection should come from your stomach. Your vocals are in your throat, but should be used for key and pitch control rather than for power. Using your gut makes it easier to have depth in your voice (vibrato) and provides good projection.

b. Beginners
i. Try slightly flexing your abs and have good posture, whether you’re sitting or standing. This releases your diaphragm and places pressure on your mid torso, making it easier to focus on your gut.

Breathing control is key.

c. When you’re actually singing (emitting sound), you should be exhaling at a slow, very constant rate. You should also feel your stomach shrinking (moving inwards slowly).

Don’t be afraid to project.
d. Many people don’t think they sound very good, so they are afraid to actually try and project when they sing. Their voices become very tiny and sound flat or inaudible.
i. You’re not going to improve unless you try. So even if you crack, keep going. One of the hardest things in my very limited experience is to recover nicely from cracking. But try.
ii. Remember there’s a difference between projecting and yelling. Yelling is using your throat more than anything else (duh).
iii. Also keep in mind the mood of the song. If it’s a soft song, don’t feel like you have to sing strongly, but just enough to project and add clarity/depth.

e. To project, put more force in your exhaling, but keep the rate just as slow as you would if you weren’t trying to sound strong.

f. Beginners
i. Do NOT try to project your voice by simply closing/tightening your throat. If you haven’t gotten singing from your gut down yet, it’ll lead to harming your vocals and cracking a lot more easily.
ii. Do NOT lift or tilt your head upwards when trying to hit a high or strong note. You’ll only crack easier and hurt yourself. Instead, tilt very slightly – SLIGHTLY – downwards, or not at all (best). You may think you’re feeling your vocals/throat open up more, but you’re really just setting yourself up not to talk the next day if prolonged.

Open your mouth wide enough.
g. Not opening your mouth wide enough causes your voice to be released muffled and leads to sounding flat and/or slurring.
i. Be sure to enunciate EACH syllable. Your mouth shouldn’t be so wide it causes you to feel weird physically (maybe mentally for those of us who are shy hehe).

h. Beginners
i. Try opening enough as you would for a small yawn.

Don’t be afraid to warm up or use cough drops.
i. It’s good exercise if you want to sing comfortably near the boundaries of your range. You can try either the Do Re Mi scales or just try singing an easy song

credits: Believer503 at hugekp.net

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
lol i kno most of this from ma singing teacher buh some of tha stuff she dun say this it differnt

triANGgo

lekie_lucious
haha i swear pinkie was trying to explain to me how use my voice and i went huh? again..ahaha thanks mina for the info....

Hey thanks for the info, hope it helps me =)
oh please Ray Ray, u wont accept my help that i was offering u... so it's ur fault :p keep on squeaking u Aussie with a hott @$$ accent :p

pink mafia

sarNie Juvenile
lol...yah lek..i remember trying to explain everything to you!...that whole gut/stomach thing still bothers me...i know i pointed it out...but it's still there...so i'm like grr...also i don't know about using cough drops for your throat...there are special throat lozanges or like sprays...cuz like cough drops leave this weird feeling in your mouth.

pink mafia

sarNie Juvenile
you don't want anything too warm either...you don't want to shock your throat...when you're singing or about to sing...room temperature water is best....but nice warm tea afterwards feels really really good!

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Guys guys guys. I'm an expert. Just listen to me.

My secret: Drink koo-aid before you perform. The red one is best for a slow song while the grape one is good for a faster beat.

P.S. What's a diaphragm? Isn't that the thing girls stick in their.. :r-scene-pop-corn: to prevent pregnancy? If so, how are you supposed to sing from there? :unsure:

lol marduk is so funny... such a monkey butt...lol.... i use to sing against the wall like my voice projects against the wall... duno why i do it but i always use to do it before i had to sing.