Should school only focus on abstinence-only?

Is Abstinence-only effective to reduce STD/HIV/AIDS and teens sexual relationship

• had sex before marriage; were taught about abstinent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • had sex after marriage; were taught about abstinent

• had sex before marriage; were not taught about abstinent

• had sex after marriage; were not taught about abstinent

• Total voters

fun

Expired Sarnie
Should school only focus on abstinence-only?

I am supposed to be against it. I am neither a supporter or against it so I am stuck. I would like to hear from sarnies and maybe steal their idea for my group debate. LOL. :lol:

Oh don't forget to answer my question above. LOL (if it doesn't support my side, I ain't going to use it, but please do be honest). I feel uncomfortable to ask people around my school, if they had sex or not before marriage. LMAO

cecilia

Staff member
hm, i think it's up to whoever or how they're brought up. --self control--
some ppl went behind their parents, friends, and teachers' back to do the deed even when they promise not to do it.
if one can't control themselves, no matter how educate they are, in the end they still gonna do it anyway.

plus, i feel that the more they teach them, the more it give them ideas -- sure it's safer to have it but educating at such a young age can kindda of lead it that way too.
or i guess, this is like the abortion issue, where there's no right or wrong argument ..

--haha. not sure if i answer your question, this is just my opinion, nothing thoughtful**

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I don't believe schools should focus on abstinence only; I mean I was abstinence until I got married but I wasn't "taught" or focused on abstinence. It's rather dumb to focus on abstinence depending on where you are from. Like our school systems some schools focus only on abstinence so some teenage girls don't know the risk of many things such as "AIDS" "Protection" and also it's dumb how this school in my area they are an abstinence only school so they aren't allowed to tell students to use "condoms" so in the event that those kids DON'T uphold their abstinence they wouldn't know anything about protection because they weren't told or educated on it. Some parents also find it awkward to talk to their kids about those things thats why they depend on the school system. I have talks regularly with my little sisters because I know they are abstinence at the same time you never know although I trust them... at the same time you never know so I want them to be educated on it and how to protect themsevles if they decide to break their promise so I'm not encouraging them to have sex before marriage, but I'm also not going to tell them that it's wrong... that will only cause more issues so it's best I educate them on the possibilities and outcomes and different things that can happen rather than sit there and be "Don't have sex until your married" If you go to my old high school "the school my sisters attend now" you'll see that 70 percent of the population is pregnant some of those girls are on their 3rd child! Some came to high school pregnant some went to middle school pregnant! Thats outrageous! So apparently "abstinence" isn't playing a part in any of their lives. My high school was actually Number 1 in pregnancy rate the year I was a freshmen.. and thats not just in our area but in the whole county district counting over 300 schools. My sisters are some of the few who hate how the school system teaches them abstinence not because they don't want to follow it but because their peers are being not fully educated on things... I'm proud of my sisters and their understanding on things.... many people tell me that my sisters are going to be bad and stuff because they are "buddhist" and not christians or catholic .. some of their friends or should I say ex friends parents have even went as far as calling my sisters "anti-christ" because they are buddhist which is so uncalled for and labeled my sisters as sluts ... just because they are buddhist?! and the funny thing is their own kids turn out pregnant at 14 ... my sisters know better because I forbid them to take an abstience class I feel that it's trying to hard to change their judgement on things... I think if you have common sense you won't need anyone to tell you about abstinence ... and school administrations think they could prevent pregnancy and sti's through abstinence which is completely un true.. because many kids now a days are having sex casually .. ... and they feel that teaching them about protection is going to encourage them more. I don't think so at all. It will keep things the same... I hate how some teachers try to tell kids "your worthless" just because you lost your virginity before marriage which is completely unfair.. I remember in high school in health class the teacher said, "if you are in my class and not a virgin then you are probably worthless in a man's view because you are no longer housewife material just dirty and scanty." I was shocked because one of the girls in there wasn't a virgin she lost it when she was 12 because she was raped ... it was totally unfair to her... and that teacher even went as far as saying, "if something like that happened to you; than god is punishing you." I was like wtf?! He says things happens to me because im a buddhist which is totally discrimination...

blah I'm totally ranting now LOL but I hope that somewhat answers your question? LOL

fun

Expired Sarnie
plus, i feel that the more they teach them, the more it give them ideas -- sure it's safer to have it but educating at such a young age can kindda of lead it that way too.
or i guess, this is like the abortion issue, where there's no right or wrong argument ..
Same here, there is no right or wrong arguments. There are so many other factors that people don't usually see cause they are too one sided. I am a two sided person, there is always going to be a pro and a con. But I am on the con side for this debate. Hahaha I guess that is why I am bad at debating I can't chose side. Basically there hasn't been any studies that shows abstinence-only program actually works. I know myself better than anyone else, wether I be taught not to have sex before marriage or not, I know that I can't be easy pressure to do it. Sometimes I think it is bogus that peer pressure is the cause of sex, drugs, etc. Just becuase everyone is doing it, it doesn't mean I would. But hey its just me and how I view things.

And thanks for the input and your opinions.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
youre right bout that funfun..we cant blame peers or anyone bout drugs, drinking or even sex!...it really does depend on each individual..some stronger than other to say "NO"..while others might be caught in the moment..or pure stupidity for not objecting to the other persons personal needs..or lust!..

but things happen for a reason..some happen as a hard learned lesson..and some takes more than one mistakes to finally realized..this is not how we should go bout things...

i hope i didnt confused anyone lol...i know what i was trying to say but without getting too much into personal matters... <_<

and ceci is right too..the more you teach and tell them its wrong to this or that ..its like the more they will get courious and try it... but it is also a good way to atleast educate them bout the good *pleasure :rolleyes: and the bad *STDs, and the more deadly stuff such as AIDs..

gosh if only i know how that one saying goes..i can only think of it in my language lol..

don't schools nowadays teach both abstinence and the facts about STDs and protection? back when i was in high school, the health classes taught that the best and safest way was abstinence, but of course, they taught about STDs and plenty about all types of contraceptions and how to use them as well...

but just because someone is taught abstinence doesn't necessarily mean they'll stick to it...

i don't think schools should be teaching kids about anything sexual related at all. i pretty much think kids first learn about sex IS at school. that's sad.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I don't think focusing on abstinence only is going to prevent teen sex, hell, it'll probably hike up the teen pregnancy rate.
I went to a school that taught abstinence and sex ed, and although we did have a few pregnant teens it wasn't that bad. Both pregnant girls stayed in high school and graduated just like everyone else because they didn't feel like they'd be judge for a mistake they made.

If they didn't teach sex safe at school or about the risk of sexually transmitted disease then those kids will learn it some where else. Take a look around, it's NOT school that's teaching them to HAVE sex, they see it all over the place. It's all over the media, in movies, magazines (yes, sexually suggestive poses count), etc. It's everywhere, so no, ignoring the issue at school won't help anything. If their parents aren't going to sit down and talk to them about the risk about having sex and how to be safe, then who will?

My parents didn't exactly "talk to me" about sex, they just said I shouldn't. That's not at all the same as sitting down and talking about it.
Telling a young person to not do something might actually make them want to do it even more.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
o_O oddly they started teaching sex ed in the area I use to live in starting from Elementary school which is pretty weird... then they taught it in Middle school they even had a "Sex Awareness" Week for it ... which is pretty much teaching abstinence and the teachers were forbidden to tell students, "don't use a condom." or how to use a condom.. all they were pretty much allowed to say about condoms and birth control was "people use them to prevent pregnancy." they weren't allowed to say "it prevents std's or anything like that ... which was so dumb... because apparently, "telling kids condoms prevent std's and etc will prompt them to have sex."

judyp

sarNie Adult
^^ i agree w/ Liberty. I don't think it's necessarily the school's job to teach kids about abstinence or sex-ed either. Sure, promote abstinence, but in reality, not everyone will listen, so include all the info about protection, pregnancy, etc.

And again, if the school doesn't teach it, kids will learn it elsewhere. I had sex education in high school and I don't know about everyone else, but it sure did amaze me (as in I didn't know all these things existed). Heck, I didn't know what the heck sex was until middle school. And it wasn't from sex education. There was a girl that started talking about condoms and I'm like, what? She started explaining it ALL to me. Geesh, what a way to learn about sex ed. And so I told my mom about it and my mom had to do some explaining. Trust me, it's so much better for the parents to sit and talk with the kids than to hear it from their peers.

cecilia

Staff member
lol. this remind me of that one commercial they had in the radio awhile back when i heard it on my way to work.
it's hilarious how they mention that the pill is for those that had the deed done without using any protection.
the pill is there to help prevent pregnancy, but it's not a guarantee safe protection for std or hiv. it's pretty funny.

as for teaching, i think it's an all around works that need to be done by the person, he/she parents as well as those surround by that certain kid.
i don't know. i'm with liberty, my parent told me not to do it until you're marry, so that slogan been sticking with me since.

as for teaching in elementary, i think the last time i remember, the teacher teaches us girls how to use pads :blush:
at my school, health education was briefly discussed in grade 7, sex talks start in grade 8 and teen pregnancy was emphasize in grade 9 but there's not much teen pregnancy at my school though .. only 1-2 girls.

and yes, i believe, the more the adults say not to do this or that, the more curious the kid will get and attempt it. sad how some young teenagers wants to ruin their life before seeing what the future hold for some of them teen mom-not saying that being a teen mom is bad but it's harder to struggle with a good living lifestyle, even i struggle with it being single with no responsibility :loool:.

*ip*

sarNie Egg
no' I think it naive of a society to believe teaching just abstinence will prevent pre-marriage or for that matter pre- adult sex! I think it better to have the facts then to just let life happen when it comes to something as responsible as sex can be on a young life still under care themselves.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Some bimbo believe that abstinence-only education helps reduced teen from having sex, reduces teen pregnancy (dude that’s thanks to condom and other birth control), STD and other sexual transmitted disease, that is totally bogus. Those that chose to stay abstinent until marriage are more likely those who believes in it, are they implying that if ones not married, then they can’t have sex because they were told so. I don’t think so. I chose to stay abstinent because I believe in it, not that school or my parents tell me not to do or else I’ll get some sort of disease and die. Well, I mean my parents doesn’t explicitly talk about sex to me, but the way they brought me up. Kids are exposed to sex every second of every minute of every hour of everyday. If they really want to stop, let used the money to disposed it not waste it on some crapy system that doesn't work.

Like that one show, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, yeah I know, I think it is stupid but I still watch it for some reason. This one episode showed these two childhood lover (I forgot their characters’ name but they’re Asian) decided to have sex and they were only 16. Hahahaha nice going America, a pat in the back for you to want to prevent teen sex. Okay I think I am going off topic but that Ricky dude, he should be arrested. Didn’t Amy say that she didn’t know what he was doing to her, it just happened. Stupid then that is considered rape. She is actually quite dumb, she said she knew Ricky was a bad boy and it just so happen she had sex with him. Another pat in the back for the American society. I mean it is so unrealistic on one side. I went to high school with teen being knocked out and we ain’t that mean. Slut is such a mean word they used in there. Funny too that they don’t emphasize other religion into it. I know this is America but don’t assume they are all Christen etc.

cecilia

Staff member
oh, no, that's not what i meant .. i was told to not do it before marriage and i too myself believe in it. --- be very afraid of them disease. don't want to die young for taking such dangerous risk :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I was told to wait til marriage too but I won't say if I followed that path or not.

I'm the type of person that has to know the why's, you can't just tell me NOT to do something and not explain to me why.
I've been that way since I was a child. If no why explains to me why then I'm more likely to do something to figure out why.
Thankfully they taught sex ed at school, of course it wasn't like I was attracted to anyone at my school. Once you've grown up with most of the student body, they're more like your sibling then potential dating partners.

Anyway, we didn't learn about it until Jr. High.
But they did teach us about body functions and stuff like that. You know when a girl becomes a woman... ;)
I was thankful for that because I really doubted my parents, namely my mom would've sat down to talk to me about body changes.
When I got breasts (around 8 or 9 years old) I thought I was getting fat. :lol: My aunt finally just said to me mom, "You need to get her a bra."

For sex ed though they did offer parents the option of excusing their kids for the day that sex ed was taught. The school understood that some parents don't want their kids exposed to it at all and warned them weeks in advance. If they didn't want their kids learning about it they filled out a form that was sent home excusing them for the day.

I liked that it was taught by my biology teacher. She was explaining things like a doctor and not feeding us some BS about 'love, marriage, etc.' Not that love and marriage is BS but we all know that not everyone has sex for love or wait til marriage.
She passed around a box to let us put in questions, we didn't have to put our names on it. She would answer anything that was asked. Then they had us watch this vide of a woman giving birth. Let me tell you...if that didn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will. It was not pretty and it DID NOT look like fun. So yeah, um...I plan on adopting. ^_^

cecilia

Staff member
^for that birth movie thing, they give the student option to watch or not to watch too.
i dont' remember watching it .. probably due to laziness .. but yes, giving birth is beautiful but the pain hurts, according to my sister who had 3 children already :lol:

fun

Expired Sarnie
That movie scared the hell out of me too. I felt like I was watching a horror movie. I still remember in Jr. High, most of the students had their hands covering their face.

fun

Expired Sarnie
^Here are some excuses that I have heard off:

*uncomfortable

*they believe it's school responsible to teach about sex.

*church will do

natty

Chubs
oh gosh.. and the nerve of us to wonder what happen to our kids today.. parent's are too uncomfortable to be parents.. :rolleyes: