Should I Go Get My Masters????

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Hey everyone!! This is my actual first shout out topic.
I just want your guys opinion on this. I'm gonna be getting my bachelors this spring of 07 and now i'm debating whether or not if I should extend my education and get my masters. I really just want to take a break for the time being just because I've been going to school for soooooo long. But now I'm getting pressure (which I never gotten before in my life) from my parents for me to just go it.
I know that getting my masters is gonna benefit me in the long run, but you know I'm only 21 and don't want worry so much bout it. If I do go get my masters that means I would have to go out of state cause there's no good master program here and start all over again..... which I really don't want to do. Schools has never been a problem for me, but in the last three semesters I've just been struggling to get through it cause I'm not as motivated as I was before...... any suggestions???

Kina

Dubsteppin'
think about the long run how having a masters degree will benefit u and ur life. having a bachelors is good and all, but having a masters is BETTER. plus, salary-wise...u get paid more. i know u think it's hella of a burden or whatnot to have to stay in a couple more or so years for a higher degree but in everything we do, doesnt have to be school-related, we have to always think about the long run. don't care about NOW. that's how im looking at it.

ive bn in school for almost 3 years and STILL a freshman! i messed up a lot...yeap. my experience may not be relevant to your situation but my point is..work to get what u really want if u really want it. it takes dedication.

i hope i helped. good luck on whatever decision u make.

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
Once you leave school... you will most likely not return. This is why your parents are encouraging you to follow through with your masters.

Of course without all the facts, it's hard to generalize. There are those that go back for an MBA, but it's hard.

Now you might say why is that? As you get older, you might have a family, enjoy making money, and what not. So to go back to school... is really low on the totem pole if you stop school now. Think about it... you work, make money, buy things, then if you go back to school and you are older. Who pays your rent? Your stuff? And on top of that you need to pay the school tuition? You have no responsibilities right now... relative to what will happen when you start working.

There are so many factors, that is why sometimes it is hard for your parents to communicate with you and just want you to listen to them. I hope this helps.

It's your decision and if you understand why your parents are pressuring you, then you will understand why you should continue.

However... if you have no motivation... you will only do poorly and will possilbly drop out. And that is a waste of money and time.

You are older now and ultimately can control your destiny. Gather all the facts and weigh it out.

Don't blame your parents for pressure. You should be old enough to handle what they throw at you and speak to them and communicate so they understand you and vice versa. If you speak maturely and show that you are aware of the consequences and don't mind. Then eventually they will respect your decision, but why quit if you have the option to continue?

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Thanks you guys for replying lol. I'm really going to have to think this over. You guys all make really good points. I know that just getting your bachelor is not enough anymore. Within ten years a bachelor is going be just like a high school diploma. That's why it's so important to keep up with today's demand.
Yes I have to say that I've been partying lately, or at least had a taste of it during my college years, and now it's probably changed my studying habits overall. My big issue is the motivation. I'll go to graduate school, but like I said eariler no motivation. And as dynomite said, "waste of money and time"
As for my parents pushing me to go get it.... I know it sounds horrible, but I think they just want me to get it because no one else within their circle of friends and family has gotten to that level. So it more of bragging rights they want LOL.
Oh well, I'm going to start looking into schools for now and talk to my advisors about continuing to get my MBA or pursue something else. I also might have to change my location too 'cause I don't think staying where I'm at going to keep me in school for long. Anybody know a good (and cheap) MBA program preferably in California or anywhere else???

none3

sarNie Hatchling
Do it now while you are still young and your brains cells aren't dying yet. think about it...as you get older you can change career anytime. With a masters, you can go into any field you'd like. YOu can teach...outside countries are always hungry for English teachers or at least graduates from the U.S...

Go for it buddie...it's tough now, but you'll thank yourself when your done. -_-

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
To answer Darvil's question for right now, it's business administration, or finance. But I'm starting to become interested in other things as well. More of the social behavior/humanity approach. Like all little kids, I used to want to be a doctor, but lol I can't deal with labs and I don't have the heart of a doctor.

Anyways, I also have another question for everyone. Is it more important to have experience in the work force or is it about education???? What I'm seeing is some of companies are paying for their employees to get their education. Trust me that enough motivation for me if my employers are willing to do that!

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
since u're still young n want to take a break from school...

y don't u start working for experience...who knows...maybe

when u work alittle while n tell ur boss that u want to get a master...

they might pay for the school expense for u to cont study

but...overall...it's still up to u...u gotta think of what's best for u

another thing is that degree n experience is equally important to me

eg. u either need AA w/ 2 yrs experience or BA w/o experience for a certain job

menia

when I first got my bachelors last year, everybody want me to go back to get my MBA. Most of my friends went back to get MBA, but for me I just want to take a break and I don't want school loan too much heavy on me. I want to work and get experience first. I want to make sure what I do right now is something I want to do it. I just got a new job and the good thing is my work place give me 100% tuition reimbursement. So, if I want my MBA I'm all set to go. The downside is you don't have time for yourself. You have 8 hours of work or even more then there is graduate school and if your school is far away or your work place is far away from your house. It's going to be hard for you.

If you really good in school or love school, it best you go back to graduate school after your bachelors. I want to let you know, some work place it doesn't matter you got Master. if you don't have work experience, you'll same level of bachelors ppl. Overall, it up to you. Think whatever is best for u.

Vanida

Save World Save Life
if i was u i would more edcation is good and better work if usmart and stuff contiune be happy for yourself

Kina

Dubsteppin'
iamnowhere: you're right about in the next so-and-so years, job markets won't get all frenzied over bachelor degree. They will start to demand more as things change, government change, laws change, economy change, etc etc etc. A small percentage of job places will accept high school diplomas. My economic professor made a really good point about the ever so changing job industry and how economy change.

As you can tell, I am pro-Masters degree. I've already made my points. I'm doing Nursing and I will master to be a Certified Nurse Anesthesia. I think the higher the degree you get, that's more advantage financially. I'm not all about the money, but to make a somewhat no-worries future and life for youself AND CHILDREN - if you plan to get married later in life or soon. That's my plan.

Again, good luck.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Once you leave school... you will most likely not return. This is why your parents are encouraging you to follow through with your masters.

I will have to disagree with you P'dyno :p because I myself took a break from school and I'm still 2 years ahead :p and I still plan on going back next semester...

For Iamnowhere I think if you want to take a break you should.. I mean its up to you to decide if you will have enough motivation and dedication to go back.. because no one knows you more than you know yourself :p lets share a little something with yah lol

when I graduated from high school.. I was 2 years ahead on college credit, so I was thinking I wanted to take a break, but then I was like I had this feeling that I know I wouldn't wanna go back after my break.. because 1 I didn't have a time frame set for when I would go back... so I forced myself to go to the fall semester .. and after that the spring semester and..... now my 2nd year .. I wanted to take a break so I knew that I could because I know for sure I want to go back spring semester and also because of some personal health issues, but no biggy...

So what I'm saying is before you take a break you should think about .. when you are going back and how much motivation do you have to go back .. otherwise you should just go straight with it.. untill you feel you really really need a break...

and once again Tina blabs about something yet has no destination. Sorry >.< *Cover Head* Don't Hit me and hope that helps at least a little bit if not at all ...

noungning

Heartless
i think that according to what your idea of getting an MBA is. do you intend to get an MBA from just yoru average college and universities? if so then i guess go for it? but if you are looking to enter a well know university or college for your MBA they will not even look at your application if you have less than 1 year real experience because their ideal canidate has at least 5 years business experience and looks to suceed. i agree that getting an MBA will bring you much better financial support, but in the long run as everyone says... a MBA without experience may get you 45k to start but it's gonna be a while to get 60k per year. but once u have the experience and school to back u up starting at 60k is easy.

but i mean i still struggle myself because i'm looking for a job and don't want to go back to school simply because i lack experience, my application is going to look crappy and i'm gonna have to pay out of my pocket. i'm looking for a company that is willing to pay for me and i think that is the most smartest route to take...

LDi

sarNie Hatchling
I just recently finished my undergrad, and I too plan on doing my Masters in the future. However, I knew straight from the start that I wanted to work a bit then return, why simply...this is how I see it. By working you get to test out the playing field, see what you like, what you don't like. If I still feel that I am not being challenged enough, and that my requirements are up to par (as far as education), then I will return to finish my Masters. In my case, either way I've decided I'd return anyways.

By the way, I know you aren't finished school till '07, but how much work background experience do you have in your field of study?

That is also something to look at too. Yes, you can study years and finish you Masters', however, if you have 0 work experience ( especially in your field), you are at the same start as most ppl. Now some of us have been lucky that throughout our university/college years we've been able to intern/work for companies to build up our CV.

Yes, some companies are paying for their employees to get their education now.

In the end...you learing and getting a higher education can never be a bad thing (the debt and tuition.....yes), but either than that it takes alot of work, something anyone should be proud of once they complete school.

I suggest if you know exactly what program....focus area you'd like to pursue your Masters in that you might want to complete it right away. If your feelings are still vague, you have a slight hesitation, or that you are still unsure what you really want to do, what working first my help you to test the waters, to understand what career or area you would really like to continue your education with.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I definitely think that you should take a break. Like you, I am also graduating this year. If you feel burned out now, it is going to be even worse when you start your Master's. What's worse is that you might grow to resent what you study to the point of not wanting to work in that field. At that point, what's the use of having that master's?

It's important sometimes to step away from things you do all the time so that you can get a fresh perspective on life (in this case, that would be you starting work). Your parents and a lot of people might tell you to go do your master's now so that you won't "waste" time. But honestly, unless you're sitting on your ass all the time watching reruns of "Pimp my ride," it would not be a waste of time. Even if you spend all of next year traveling, you would learn many valuable life lessons. When you think about it, a Master's is just a piece of paper. If you honestly are going to remember what you learned in class after you're done with it, then you are a genius. But for the most part, I don't know of anyone who can recall facts from what they learn in class. Most of the learning is done in the real world. You only go to school for the piece of paper.

My advice: You seem burned out, so I think you should take some time off from school. This is your life, not your parents. Your parents want you to get a Master's because they believe that is the best way for you to succeed. I don't think that's necessarily true as success is usually measured through happiness.

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
I don't know what everyone consider "work experience" but I did a little research and some schools actually do require some kind of work experience at least full time. Jeez these people don't make it easy for us to get into the program do they??? I'm not sure if my work experience (I work part-time, but now in the field i'm studying for) actually qualifies for the requirements. But thanks everyone for the advices and suggestions. I really do appreciate everybody's support. You guys are all really intelligent and nice people!!! :) :) :) Congrats to LDi for finishing your undergrads and hope you are doing well right now!!! And Keep up the good work marduk.... you're going to be my new study buddy.

musicstinger

Xtreme sarNie
HAHA.... same issue I had, ok, if you don't feel you're ready for grad school? Then, don't go for it (yet). Find some experience for 1 or 2 years and then continue your masters. Or what you can do is work full-time and go to school parttime. What I personally found that for my major, I had absolutely no idea how I can apply what I was studying in grad school. So, I told my parents that I want to find a job and find the reason behind the theory and apply in a real world situation. Of course my lovely dad did not like the idea, because he thinks that if I start working, I will never get my masters. FALSE!!! getting a master's degree has always been my one of my goals in life, but as of right now I need to find experience before I decide what I want to study and what applies and fits me the best. YEah... I know they all say... "oh if you start working now, you'll never get back to school, you'll never get a master's", but hey, it depends on the person. I'm 100 % sure that I will get a master's.

Just go what you feel, but always keep in mind that higher education is always better, but not always, if you don't see the application of it. Studying a master's program, means studying an expertise program... well, it depends on you...

About work experience, in today's job market, I think it's valuable just as much as the degree. I had absolutely experience when I got out of college, I had quite a hard time finding a job.. and I mean a real hard time.. I don't think anyone took long as I did... but I got very lucky and got a job that was right for me.

So go with your gut... good luck to you..

Musicstinger

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
iamnowhere,

I'm probably at least 10 years older than you. I graduated from college with a degree in accounting and business administration. I went right to work after graduation, because I too was burnt out from working / studying and I felt out-of-touch with the real world. When you're in academia for an extended period of time, it's like you're living in a vacuum and everything around you is changing but you're standing still. I worked for 3 years in internal audit for a large manufacturing company in the midwest. A very good learning experience and lots of travel domestically and in Canada. After that, I got married and moved to Chicago and worked another 3 years in internal audit for a Fortune 500 company, then transferred to finance and accounting because I was so burnt out from the 90% travel. One of my requirements for a prospective employer when I moved to Chicago was that they a 100% MUST have a tuition reimbursement program. So here I am today with almost 8 years of business world experience and am working towards getting my mba, probably in finance, and my company will pay for it. I am currently studying for my GMAT because I really REALLY want to get into a good school, Chicago or Kellogg part-time, and to get in there I must have at least a 700 score. I guess I could just take the GMAT and get an average score and go to an average b-school, but in today's job market, it DOES matter which school you go to.

Do I regret taking so long to start the process of going back to school? NO. Thinking back over the years, the things I learned in school now makes so much sense. I could actually apply it and understand it. Of course, I don't have any children yet, so I can concentrate solely on work and school and my husband. It does get a little hectic and it feels like all I do is work and school, but I know it will all be sooooo worth it!

Sorry for being so long-winded, but education is close to my heart and I feel strongly about it. To make a long story short, my advice is:

1) Make a short-term goal (5 years) and long-term goal (10 years). Where do you see yourself in 5 years and 10 years? What are you doing? Who are you with? What kind of life-style are you enjoying? Imagine your ideal life, location, job, etc.

2) Start with #1 and work backward to current time. How are you going to get to your 5-year goals and 10-year goal? What do you have to do NOW and TODAY to get to WHERE you want to be and WHO you want to be?

Do # 1 and #2, and you'll find the answer that's in your heart. But whatever you do, do it with passion and commitment and happiness.

If you want more info, go to gmatclub.com. This is a wonderful website for anyone thinking about going back for their mba. I think they even have sections on schools and the application / interview process.

Good Luck!

Hope

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
iamnowhere,

I'm probably at least 10 years older than you. I graduated from college with a degree in accounting and business administration. I went right to work after graduation, because I too was burnt out from working / studying and I felt out-of-touch with the real world. When you're in academia for an extended period of time, it's like you're living in a vacuum and everything around you is changing but you're standing still. I worked for 3 years in internal audit for a large manufacturing company in the midwest. A very good learning experience and lots of travel domestically and in Canada. After that, I got married and moved to Chicago and worked another 3 years in internal audit for a Fortune 500 company, then transferred to finance and accounting because I was so burnt out from the 90% travel. One of my requirements for a prospective employer when I moved to Chicago was that they a 100% MUST have a tuition reimbursement program. So here I am today with almost 8 years of business world experience and am working towards getting my mba, probably in finance, and my company will pay for it. I am currently studying for my GMAT because I really REALLY want to get into a good school, Chicago or Kellogg part-time, and to get in there I must have at least a 700 score. I guess I could just take the GMAT and get an average score and go to an average b-school, but in today's job market, it DOES matter which school you go to.

Do I regret taking so long to start the process of going back to school? NO. Thinking back over the years, the things I learned in school now makes so much sense. I could actually apply it and understand it. Of course, I don't have any children yet, so I can concentrate solely on work and school and my husband. It does get a little hectic and it feels like all I do is work and school, but I know it will all be sooooo worth it!

Sorry for being so long-winded, but education is close to my heart and I feel strongly about it. To make a long story short, my advice is:

1) Make a short-term goal (5 years) and long-term goal (10 years). Where do you see yourself in 5 years and 10 years? What are you doing? Who are you with? What kind of life-style are you enjoying? Imagine your ideal life, location, job, etc.

2) Start with #1 and work backward to current time. How are you going to get to your 5-year goals and 10-year goal? What do you have to do NOW and TODAY to get to WHERE you want to be and WHO you want to be?

Do # 1 and #2, and you'll find the answer that's in your heart. But whatever you do, do it with passion and commitment and happiness.

If you want more info, go to gmatclub.com. This is a wonderful website for anyone thinking about going back for their mba. I think they even have sections on schools and the application / interview process.

Good Luck!

Hope
Seriously one of the best advices I've seen here on Sarnworld...

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
Well my answer is YES.

Go for it. I mean nowadays, tuition is still pretty cheap so better do it sooner than later, when you can't afford to pay for it.

I'm finishing up on my last quarter in my MA program this fall, so I can only say, It looks and sounds like it's so hard, but time flys, so you'll be done in no time. I thought I wasn't gonna be able to finish, but after 2 years, i'm finally done. Yeppie.

Also I mean you got all the schooling done, so you can jump around and see the things you like, yeah taking a couple years off before masters is a good idea too, but usually those who leave college never really return, also most of those who do return it takes a lot longer to finish.