Share your F.O.B stories here!

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I was born in Laos and I lived at a refugee camp in Thailand before. I came to America and since we were there all day trying to take care of paperworks, the immigration office was pretty much my second home.
But anyway, FOB, as you know stands for Fresh Off the Boat, and it refers to being new in a foreign country or being new to a different society. I remember going to school and was very naive.
My family and I are a bunch of dark Laotians and in Lao, "Dum" means dark. So at school, the white kids would say to my siblings and I, "you guys are so dumb!!" And we were all amazed, we're like "Wow, they can speak lao too! They said we're dark."
My siblings and I would always laugh when we think back to those days.

*Sorry if FOB offends anyone.. .not intended to derogatorized anyone*

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
LOL.. thank you for sharing your story. btw, how old were you when you came to the U.S.?

as for the FOB thing....i still do it on a daily basis...i would slip & say something fobby or my typing for example..of course i dont do it intentionally..well maybe sometimes! ^_^

i was born in one of thailand's largest refugee camps & was transfer to the philippines & then to the U.S.! the only thing i remember was playing in the rain & getting stabbed in the knee with a stick that i was running around with, i have a scar from it too *dumb kid <_< .
*i also have a pic of me that taken after i was playing in the rain too.

i will have to see if i have any story to share lol...my memory is so bad!
*i was almost 4 when i arrived in TX!

lady0fdarkness

LOL.. thank you for sharing your story. btw, how old were you when you came to the U.S.?

as for the FOB thing....i still do it on a daily basis...i would slip & say something fobby or my typing for example..of course i dont do it intentionally..well maybe sometimes! ^_^

i was born in one of thailand's largest refugee camps & was transfer to the philippines & then to the U.S.! the only thing i remember was playing in the rain & getting stabbed in the knee with a stick was running around with also have a scar from it too *dumb kid <_< .
*i also i a pic of me taken after i was playing in the rain too.

LOL.. I love FOB stories. Anyway, I arrived in America in 1984 at the age of 5 years old.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
LOL.. I love FOB stories. Anyway, I arrived in America in 1984 at the age of 5 years old.

oh, hey same yr as me! arrive in '84

i dont really remember any LOL fob stories..just my misunderstading i guess.. gonna be back to edit this page..gotta work right now ...lol

this is not a fob story..just one of my experiences when i first came to the U.S. :

this story was back in... what grade was it..might be kindergarten or 1st grade whichever it was..anyways we had this gift exchange thingy at school..girl, i was so excited bout it. i told my parents that we get to buy one gift and exchange it with another person in the classroom. so my parents and i went shopping for it. i walked up and down the aisle at the store, finally got a pretty good gift ..it was a telephone toy car that makes real ringing sound *as a kid you'd think that it was cool :lol: ...and to tell you the truth i dont even remember if it was even wrapped..or if it was in its original box or what!

anyways, the teacher didnt just have us pick the person out to exchange the gifts with. we actually had to play a game..pass the gifts to the right or left enough times to make it fair i guess. so anyways i got my so called exchange gift..and boy was i pissed off. * it was a freaking mirror...ok what does a 4-5 yr kid need a mirror for?? i almost cried! lol thinking back to it now..it just cracks me up. i dont remember if i threw that mirror away if i even brought it back home. that was how bad my memory was!

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I was born in Laos and I lived at a refugee camp in Thailand before. I came to America and since we were there all day trying to take care of paperworks, the immigration office was pretty much my second home.
But anyway, FOB, as you know stands for Fresh Off the Boat, and it refers to being new in a foreign country or being new to a different society. I remember going to school and was very naive.
My family and I are a bunch of dark Laotians and in Lao, "Dum" means dark. So at school, the white kids would say to my siblings and I, "you guys are so dumb!!" And we were all amazed, we're like "Wow, they can speak lao too! They said we're dark."
My siblings and I would always laugh when we think back to those days.

*Sorry if FOB offends anyone.. .not intended to derogatorized anyone*
awww and thanks for telling your story lol and I don't get offended by the FOB thing. I'm a us citizen but I still have fob moments hahah like sometimes when I'm talking to my friends I'm like "I Ruk you too." and now they've all got stuck to it so when we see each other and we're departing for the day. "I ruk you call you Proong Nee" LOL and people just stand there like they are speaking english or something else LOL

i was born in one of thailand's largest refugee camps & was transfer to the philippines & then to the U.S.! the only thing i remember was playing in the rain & getting stabbed in the knee with a stick that i was running around with, i have a scar from it too *dumb kid <_< .
*i also have a pic of me that taken after i was playing in the rain too.

You live in tx too? LOL

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
i use to tina..i was there from 84 til '86 then resided in cali..been here since! i did go visit tx though ...its hella hot over there! lol i may or may not go there this july! will see. ^_^

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
Lady...love your story LMAO!!! :loool:

I was born and raised in the US too, but my parents always helped the new immigrants in our state. So i have a few stories...

1) My dad is really into music, bands, and entertainment. So one day he took a new-comer to go buy a stereo so he can play his laos tapes on. My dad took him to Sears in the mall. Well, as my dad & I was browsing the store...a clerk came up to the new-comer, and asked if he needed help. The new-comer nicely replied "yes...ummm...i want buy...a "cha chung chung cha chung chung" while dancing at the same time. He was trying to sound out music & beats...basically trying to explain to the clerk that he was looking for something that played music...a stereo LOL

2) This day my dad was driving to work...and another Laos man was riding his motorcycle, assume he's going to work too. Well, some guy cut of the man on the bike, got into a minor accident, and he fell into the ditch. The white guy stopped and came out to the car, so did my dad...they ran to the laos man...the white guy says "oh NO!". The laos man replied in laos to the white guy "bo NO lah, Hak tatae". (translate: it's not a bump, it's really broken) The laos man broke his arm, and he thought when the white guy said "oh no" that the white guy meant he only had a lil bump on his head or something. My dad, couldn't help from laughing...

judyp

sarNie Adult
:loool: i love your stories ladyofdarkness & sandy! i was born in the states, so i don't personally have a fob story. ill get back to this if i can think of one.

lady0fdarkness

The very first years in the states, we used foodstamps. So when there was a fieldtrip, my teacher sent home a permission slip and it said I needed to bring money for food. My mother signed the slip and included a $5 foodtamp along with it. LOL..... When the teacher saw it, I remember her gasping and then gave out a laugh. And in my head, I was like.. the heck is wrong with this white woman. But anyway, they had to pack a school lunch for me from the cafeteria that day.

~Sandy~

OMG lady I feel so sorry for you but funny at the same time.

Shoot for my field trips, my mom would tot kae (scramble eggs) and put it between to slices of bread (egg sandwich). I loved eating that! But all my classmates kept making fun of me, it still didnt stop me from bringing on my next field trips...

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
OMG lady I feel so sorry for you but funny at the same time.

Shoot for my field trips, my mom would tot kae (scramble eggs) and put it between to slices of bread (egg sandwich). I loved eating that! But all my classmates kept making fun of me, it still didnt stop me from bringing on my next field trips...

lol i like scrambled eggs or just fried eggs between my breads too...heck i even pour soy sauce on mine! * as if i was eating it with rice. :p its good too ...oooO imma go make some today when i go home ..yummmmy!

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
lol i like scrambled eggs or just fried eggs between my breads too...heck i even pour soy sauce on mine! * as if i was eating it with rice. :p its good too ...oooO imma go make some today when i go home ..yummmmy!
reallieee. My chinese friend admitted to making french toasts w/ soy sauce. O_O :lol: LOL.

~Sandy~

OMG I thought I was the only one!!! This thread is way too funny...i'm laughing so hard at my desk at work. :lmao:

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
i have too many FOB stories, but most of them, you have to listen to in real life. it's funnier that way. i'll try and share one.

here i go...

...even tho i was born in the U.S., it was like i was raised in laos until the age 5, i never had any exposure to english or non-asians. my only exposure was to chinese/boran lakorns dubbed in thai, and ghettofied laotian folks who often used foul language. all b'cuz my mom didn't really have time for me. hahaha basically, i was a foul mouthed asian child who often sought to take up sword fights with people.

anyway, i remember going to school for the first time. i saw all sorts of people, black people...white people...mexican people...and well, just people i had never seen before! so, on my first day, my mom dropped me off. just left me in the main office. i was fine at first, because the secretary was asian. but then, this large, dark complexioned monster stepped out from behind a door. it scared the shiznit out of me. and then another one came, and another, and another!!!

i thought i was being attacked by creatures, and more importantly, being punished by my mother for having such a bad mouth. it was definitely something my mother would do. i started to run all around the room, and then all over the school, screaming and crying out for help in laotian. "mae tao, soy loog nae!! (grandma, help me)!!" bpa (like bpha-bpha in chinese), soy loog nae (daddy, help me!!)" "puag mun see kha loog!" (they're all trying to kill me!!) i was a really fast kid, but not so sharp...or just too d*nm naive.

anywho, all the monsters called out to other large monsters to block me off. i remember sinking to the floor, frozen in fear. i couldn't move at all. that's when one of them dragged me into a room and put me in a chair. i looked around and saw smaller versions of these monsters. i remember thinking, these things are going to feed on me. i had quite an imagination as a kid. it didn't help either that my grandma kept telling me "pee pborp" (intestines monster) stories just to keep me from going outside. my mind was completely brainwashed!

in that instant, another large albino monster vastly approached me with its flashing white teeth. but it seemed to have some sort of reddish colored remnants on its teeth. of course it was blood!! duh! and of course, i started to yell for my life again!

"ee har pbee pborp! ya het goo dai! ya het goo dai! goo see fun meung tim!!! (damn intestines monster, better not do anything to me! better not do anything to me!! i will cut u up!!!)"

that's when all the smaller monsters went crazy too and scared the crap out of me again. i ran real fast and hard...so quick that i slammed into the wall! HAHAHAHA slid right down to the ground. the funny thing was that all the monsters seemed to panic when that happened. i was still quite aware of my surroundings. dumbfounded and scared, i just laid there letting the albino monster flash it's off-red colored claws at me. all i could do at that point was chant a buddhist prayer that my grandma taught me for when i was scared. "na mo tha sa, pahk-a-wa-tho, ara-ha tho, sum-a, sum putha-sa!" LMAO!!!

that's when the albino monster stepped back and headed towards a device on the wall to call for what it referred to as the principal. ahahaha and from out of no where, the dark complexioned monster showed up again!! wtf!!

however....this time, there was no struggle. i just laid there, anticipating for it to consume me. although, it never did do anything...obviously(??) it just took me to another device which was able to take on the voice of my mother. at that point, i had already given up. i just spoke to the device like it was my mother and begged for forgiveness.

the next i know, i'm waking up and my mom is telling me it's time to go home.

but was it my mother? i spent the next 4 months trying to figure that out. cuz, how was it that my mother was able to communicate with these monsters? of course she took me home and explained to me what education was and how it worked. but that didn't stop me from wondering about her for the next 4 months. that might also be why i still continued on the way i did the rest of the school week. lmao

sorry. the story DID NOT have to be that long and grammatically butchered. :lol:

P.S. everyone knows that soy sauce belongs are everything. it's like white people's ranch. LOL

fun

Expired Sarnie
oh i have a story about my aunt. she went to school for the very first time and she was expected to walk home but her surrounding were new to her. so she followed this white guy home. i dont know what she was thinking but she followed him to his house. they were kind enough to have her stayed at their place while the police looks for contacts. hahaha. she was scared, she only knew a few words like a 3 year old. she said she was very scared. and then she got a lecture from my grandpa.

lol it doesnt sound funny but i am not very good at putting it into words.

lady0fdarkness

LOL, ThookaTha... I can seriously relate to you when you cried out for help in Lao. I was literally LoLing my ass off. I used to ask one of your albino pbee pob if she could see out of her blue eyes. Cause I never seen people with blue eyes where I come from. Hehehe