Sacramento police unravel alleged murder plot

xOxOmickY

sarNie Egg

Chu Vue was picked up in Elk Grove in the Oct. 15 slaying of correctional officer Steve Lo.

Lee Vue, brother of Lang Vue, faces accessory charges in the slaying.

Chong Vue also is jailed in Minnesota in connection with a drive-by killing.

Mason Vue, brother of Lang and Lee, also faces accessory charges.

The alleged criminal operation involved everything from fictitious names to surveillance missions to a safe house two hours outside of town.

So sophisticated was the conspiracy to murder correctional officer Steve Lo, authorities say, that it took five months, six agencies and dozens from the Sacramento Police Department alone to solve the mystery.

"(The murder) was very well planned," said homicide Sgt. Kirk Campbell. "There was a lot of work that went into this."

Ultimately, police found themselves back where the trail first got hot the day Lo was gunned down in his garage: at the home of former Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy Chu Vue.

Police arrested Vue, 44, near his Elk Grove residence Thursday morning on suspicion of murder. Authorities say he was the mastermind of a plot to kill Lo – who was having an affair with Vue's wife – that involved Vue's younger brothers, Chong and Gary Vue, and a friend, Lang Vue.

All four men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday on murder charges.

The District Attorney's Office added a special circumstance to each charge, alleging that the defendants murdered Lo while lying in wait. If they are convicted, they could face the death penalty.

Sacramento prosecutors had not decided as of Thursday whether to seek that penalty.

Also arrested were Chu Vue's sister, Allyssa Vue, friend Khou Vue and Lang Vue's brothers, Mason and Lee Vue. The four are suspected of harboring the younger Vue brothers despite knowing they were wanted in Minnesota on unrelated murder charges. They are set to be arraigned Monday on accessory charges.

Chu Vue's attorney, Tom Johnson, said his client maintains his innocence.

"The law allows for theories but ultimately demands evidence," Johnson said.

From their Elk Grove home, Chu Vue's daughters said the family declined comment.

In interviews and documents filed in court, police and prosecutors began telling the tale Thursday of how a scorned husband allegedly orchestrated the slaying of his wife's lover.

Prosecutors filed documents that suggested Chu Vue and his co-defendants engaged in nearly a monthlong effort to case Lo's south Sacramento neighborhood before the correctional officer was gunned down in his garage.

Lo, a 39-year-old husband and father of five, was in full uniform as he prepared for his shift at the California Medical Facility in Vacaville, where he worked with Chu Vue's wife, Chia.

According to the district attorney's "cover sheet" supporting the murder charges, a truck apparently belonging to the former deputy was caught on a surveillance videotape driving past Lo's Tambor Way residence twice in the 24 days before he was killed.

The DA's records said the camera that took the video was positioned two houses down from Lo's home.

On both occasions, a vehicle that appears to be Vue's 1999 Toyota Tacoma drives by Lo's house about the same time phone records showed Vue's cell phone "pinging" off a tower within 1,000 feet of the home, according to the cover sheet.

"The phone associated with Chu Vue makes several tower pings by the victim's residence and his vehicle is caught on video making drive-bys of the victim's residence," the cover sheet said.

The document said that cell phones linked to Chong Vue pinged off the same tower near Lo's house 31 times in the month before the shooting. Six of those calls were made to Chu Vue's cell phone number, according to the document.

Sacramento police say those cell phones were obtained under fictitious names and used to create a prepaid communication network between the defendants and other associates.

Records from those cell phones provided a substantial portion of the detectives' case, according to the DA's 29-page cover sheet. Those records helped detectives track the defendants from their alleged casing of Lo's house to other locations, such as a house in Tehama County that Chu Vue allegedly set up for his brothers in April 2007.

That house was kept under the name of defendant Khou Vue, 32, police said.

credit: Sacbee

In my opinion, I just can't believe that Hmong people are turning out to be like this. It puts innocent Hmong people into shame. I am Hmong and I believe that we shouldn't be this low to be acting this way.

pyang

sarNie Egg
That's mess up, killing someone because they had an affair with your wife. I'm sure there were other ways to solve it. They killed him but they might even face the death penalty and Chu was a former Sheriff too; you would think he knows better. It's pretty sad; Hmong killing Hmong.

kulyia

RUK
Too long. but wow, second to last guy was pretty cute. but eh. Not when your a killer. tsktsktsk

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
In my opinion, I just can't believe that Hmong people are turning out to be like this. It puts innocent Hmong people into shame. I am Hmong and I believe that we shouldn't be this low to be acting this way.
[/quote]

Newsflash...Bad people come in every shape, size, color, religion, race, etc. We shouldn't be shamed because some idiots committed a crime. They should be the shameful ones. There's no need to feel shame for someone else's action. Yeah...Hmong people can be bad too.

gloomy_girl

sarNie Egg
I hate to always hear bad news about Hmong people. To think that this happened in Sacramento is even more scary. Hmong people need to stop killing each other when they have affairs with other Hmong's spouse. This makes me sick.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
why should you be ashamed of being hmong?
it's not only hmong people who murder each other..
and crime is everywhere.. not only in sacramento..

xOxOmickY

sarNie Egg

Newsflash...Bad people come in every shape, size, color, religion, race, etc. We shouldn't be shamed because some idiots committed a crime. They should be the shameful ones. There's no need to feel shame for someone else's action. Yeah...Hmong people can be bad too.

It's shameful enough that they think Gen. Vang Pao is plotting to over throw the Loas Govenment, I think this just adds to the list os being shameful. And of course people come in different shapes and sizes, that just tells me that Hmong people are no different, but they can resolve this is a different way. I guess they just happen to come up with this resolution. We as the youngsters must change this.

xOxOmickY

sarNie Egg
why should you be ashamed of being hmong?
it's not only hmong people who murder each other..
and crime is everywhere.. not only in sacramento..

I'm not ashamed of being Hmong. I'm saying that carrying the name of Hmong killing Hmong isn't so great to others. But I stand up for Hmong peolpe as much as you will. In Sacramento I believe that the crime rate for Hmong Killing Hmong is growing more and more. It's sad to see this and read about it. I'm hoping for it to grow down. There's no need to see my own kind to face the death penalty for their thoughtless action.

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
i agree. i think that hmongs killing each other is not a big thing in hmong culture,
so to see it happen is shocking, you know?

i have no pity for those guys.
how much pain the mothers of all these boys must be going through.
all their family and mothers hurt more.

crime is every where
traditional hmong, in the mountains, they dont lock their wooden doors when they go farming.
well, at least my parents said that back when they were there,
it was safe to leave your door unlock and go farm all day without worry.
things change, i know.
but still, no one wins.

this story still scares me.
i think this is one reason i dont mess with hmong boys in general.
some mind block. hehe.

so sad to hear this news.
a person dead, people arrested and all their families suffer. sad :(

angelness

sarNie Egg
Wow. This is sad. I hear too much of these stories of spouses killing each-other or their lovers. Find the right one and stick with them! People are getting more selfish and morally corrupted these days.

kellylis

sarNie Hatchling
Too long. but wow, second to last guy was pretty cute. but eh. Not when your a killer. tsktsktsk

are you serious?
a killer or not a killer... he's not cute nor good looking...
but maybe that's just me, maybe he's just not my type!

and to think that the killer use to work in that same work field...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
I'm not ashamed of being Hmong. I'm saying that carrying the name of Hmong killing Hmong isn't so great to others. But I stand up for Hmong peolpe as much as you will. In Sacramento I believe that the crime rate for Hmong Killing Hmong is growing more and more. It's sad to see this and read about it. I'm hoping for it to grow down. There's no need to see my own kind to face the death penalty for their thoughtless action.
people kill each other.
regardless of race, ethnicity, etc...