RN program nursing school

devdas

sarNie Egg
hello everyone my name is dev i just wanna say i love sarnworld :]

also i have a question about nursing school and the field see if anybody can enlighten me on that subject

im currently a junior in high school, i go to a vocational school and im in the nursing program and by next spring i will get my cna

i would like to go to a 4 year university (umass dartmouth) for nursing and my question is that

if i do get excepted into umass dartmouth i would have to apply to be in the nursing program right?

also the pre req do i have to finish that before i apply or can i apply to be in the program and do that at the same time?

if anybody would be so kind to enlighten me and share their experience or their application and the process i would really appreciate it so much thanks

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
I think you usually have to get your pre reqs done before you apply...or be doing it...some schools require that you have a certain amount of credits of pre reqs done before they even look at your application.

judyp

sarNie Adult
yeah, im almost certain that all nursing schools require that you have prereqs completed prior to applying. you need to check with your school because all nursing schools have different requirements.

devdas

sarNie Egg
thanks for all your response i appreciate it

im gonna ask my guidence more about it

how long did it took you to finish your pre req?

judyp

sarNie Adult
i believe it took me a year and half. and i did take one summer class. but everyone has their own pace. some people work and go to school part time. i was a full time student and took as many classes as i could handle. i wanted in and out fast. lol.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
If you want to get into that school, I recommend that you look at all the pre reqs that you need to take to get into the program and also what that school requires for you to graduate. If you want to go the cheaper route, you should see if you can get your pre reqs done at a community college and make sure those credits will transfer to Dartmuth (don't know how you spelled it).

Once you're in, you just have two years to go before getting your BSN. My pre reqs took me 2 years. I went to a 4 yr University and did those two years there, but in order to fulfil the required class for the university and the program, i had to take two classes during the summer. Total, I completed 100 credits before getting accepted into nursing school.

And, depending on the nursing program at the school you want to go to, I recommend not working because it is intensive! Otherwise while you are doing pre reqs, work while you can :D.

My experience is that I did prenursing my senior year in high school and got my CNA license too. After grad I went to a 4 yr university and did prereqs. I applied for nursing school through my school, but it is ran through another school (multiple schools in one). The school I attend looks at grades (2.5 gpa +, but you better be getting higher than that on the required classes because it was competitive at my school), but they call in potential students in for an interview. I sat in front of three nurse PH.D's and they asked me 5 questions and one question was chosen from an envelope. Then I waited for an answer in May and got in!! Most exciting moment of my life because this school was hard to get into. Very competitive. During the program I failed my patho class (you need 2.5 or higher @ 73% at my school) and I missed it by .1 percent and had to take that class all over again, which put me a semester behind. Now I'm on my last semester! At least I'm still graduating in '09 :p

It's so awesome that you want to be a nurse! Best of luck and if you have any questions, just go ask me on my page and email me. I still don't have sarnworld figured out even after being a member for years now. haha.

devdas

sarNie Egg
If you want to get into that school, I recommend that you look at all the pre reqs that you need to take to get into the program and also what that school requires for you to graduate. If you want to go the cheaper route, you should see if you can get your pre reqs done at a community college and make sure those credits will transfer to Dartmuth (don't know how you spelled it).

Once you're in, you just have two years to go before getting your BSN. My pre reqs took me 2 years. I went to a 4 yr University and did those two years there, but in order to fulfil the required class for the university and the program, i had to take two classes during the summer. Total, I completed 100 credits before getting accepted into nursing school.

And, depending on the nursing program at the school you want to go to, I recommend not working because it is intensive! Otherwise while you are doing pre reqs, work while you can :D.

My experience is that I did prenursing my senior year in high school and got my CNA license too. After grad I went to a 4 yr university and did prereqs. I applied for nursing school through my school, but it is ran through another school (multiple schools in one). The school I attend looks at grades (2.5 gpa +, but you better be getting higher than that on the required classes because it was competitive at my school), but they call in potential students in for an interview. I sat in front of three nurse PH.D's and they asked me 5 questions and one question was chosen from an envelope. Then I waited for an answer in May and got in!! Most exciting moment of my life because this school was hard to get into. Very competitive. During the program I failed my patho class (you need 2.5 or higher @ 73% at my school) and I missed it by .1 percent and had to take that class all over again, which put me a semester behind. Now I'm on my last semester! At least I'm still graduating in '09 :p

It's so awesome that you want to be a nurse! Best of luck and if you have any questions, just go ask me on my page and email me. I still don't have sarnworld figured out even after being a member for years now. haha.

thank so much for sharing your experience i like to get as much in as i can

would it be possible if i do my pre req at a community college then apply to a university for the program?

im looking to save some money and some different root options

devdas

sarNie Egg
ive been reading around forum and such about how difficult the program is etc and alot of people been saying

go by what your instructor say and not the book, don't argue with instructors etc and when you take the exam think about which instructor wrote it etc they also said something about the multiple choice and how its so hard because it has 2 correct answer but you have to pick the best one that fit

i wanna hear what u guys think of it and your experience in the program how hard is it etc

judyp

sarNie Adult
the program is hard. im on my last 7 weeks!! a lot of people don't realize how difficult and stressful nursing school is. i had to quit work to find time to study but don't let that scare you. if you want to become a nurse, then don't let anything stop you. the tests are all critical thinking. you can have all 4 answers correct but which one is most appropriate for the situation. you will find that answers for the tests are different from the "real world", you will understand what i mean when you get into the program.
as far as taking prereqs at a community college and then applying for the program at a university--im sure you can do that as long as the classes are equivalent. you should meet with a counselor at the school you plan on attending to find out all their requirements. i know that a 4 year program requires a little more extra classes than a 2 year program.

devdas

sarNie Egg
what do you mean 4 year require extra classes?

like say once you get your ASN and u wanna go for BSN extra 2 years do u have to pre req again?

also how hard are the pre req? this fall for my cna your required to take A&P and chemistry and i notice you have to take that for pre req also

judyp

sarNie Adult
for example, the BSN program over here requires that i take critical thinking and philosophy. i didn't need those classes to get into the ADN program.
the prereqs can be hard but since you are taking A&P and chemistry, it should come a little easier. i was the same way because i took A&P and chemistry and had to take it again when i got into college. find out whether the school you are applying for are looking at GPA requirements because if they are, aim for high grades for all your prereqs because you will have a better chance of getting in. (you should aim high anyways)

devdas

sarNie Egg
so say you decide to continue to get your bsn do you have to take critical thinking and phylosphy? and then enter and finish that extra 2 years tog et your bsn? i read around and some school offer that bridge program they call it

judyp

sarNie Adult
im not sure if its the same case for all schools so like i said, find out with your school. but the BSN program over here require that you take the nursing major requirements such as statistics, child development and philosophy in addition to the nursing courses. lucky for me, i've already completed all those classes because i took them along with my other prereqs. to get the most accurate answer for your situation, talk to the nursing division counselor.

devdas

sarNie Egg
thanks judyp for all your help :) i know you cant answer everything but i just wanted to get the feedback from current student and see what they have to say

thanks alot you've been a big help i feel like everywhere ive read everyone saying it so hard but i still have the passion and im gonna go for it :) wish me luck lol

judyp

sarNie Adult
oh i didn't mean to sound rude when i keep telling you to ask your counselor if you took it that way. lol. i just think to get the most accurate answer for your situation, the school would be your best resource. but yeah, good luck! and feel free to PM with questions if you have any and i'll try my best to answer them. i think it is awesome that you want to become a nurse. it is a very rewarding field. :)

devdas

sarNie Egg
oh no haha i didn't take it that way lol

honestly, you've helped answer my question so much thank you

i know you don't know and have answer for all question, but you did your best to clarify it to me, heck you helped me out better then my counselor, they make it so confusing haha

but thanks alot

ill talk to them more about it once i go back to school :)

devdas

sarNie Egg
its been 2 weeks of school and things seems alittle tough my english academic teacher is cramping everything in for us giving us books and essays and all the stuff and i have 4 grades due by next week >.< our school doesn't AP courses only honors and im taking all of them
im having trouble with chemistry because my teacher doesn't explain anything, i love my A&P teacher because she explain everything to the point where u understand it but her test are so hard

juydy if your reading this what type of math do they make you do in nursing?

devdas

sarNie Egg
um..i think i have another career path in mind

i like nursing i enjoy nursing

but i have a stronger passion to become a physician assistant
after seeing those assistant work, it open my eyes and showed me what my heart really wants to do

being on clinical right now as a student nurse aid i realize that even though i enjoy what i do in nursing, its not something i truly want and when i was younger when i saw those doctor at the clinic diagnosing those patient i told my self that i wanted to be just like them one day.

but somehow my road was turn a different way and i felt that nursing was what i wanted to do

but as of right now i came to realize that nursing is not for me, my heart is telling me that PA is the way to go :) and im just so glad i came to that realization before it was late, even tho you could always change but i didnt want to do that. when i have my mind set on something i will work hard and try my best to get it.

so yeah i don't think im gonna be looking into nursing any more, once i get my cna and finish high school, nursing school will not be my path, but the path of becoming PA-C is :D

thanks you all for your input, and thanks judyp for all the info you've been such a great help thanks you so much and i wish you luck with nursing :) i can see u have passion for it thanks you