rice inflation?

none3

sarNie Hatchling
In long beach, as of today--all 50 pounds rice bag are $50 per bag. What's going on with that? It was only around $28 last month for 50 pound bag. could someone explain to me what's going on? I hear rumors but am not sure.

Mister Bubbub

sarNie Egg
Its been said that the border of Cambodia and Thailand is close because Cambodia is having an election so there will be no export of rice coming out of Cambodia to Thailand for the time being (this is so far the most reliable information that I have gathered up from the Asian stores and from the old folks around here). Then again wasn't there some news about this somewhere on the net about rice a while ago?

My parents have been stacking up the rice bags too. Reminds me of when the 2000 scare happen when everyone went and stocked up with rice. lol.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol That's kind of funny.
But yeah, $50 for a 50lbs bag of rice is ridiculous.

Luckily, I don't eat much rice. :)

judyp

sarNie Adult
oh yeah, my mom was complaining about it to me last night. she said it was gonna be like $34 versus like $20 (more or less) before. i was like, what do you want me to do about it? she said, buy it. haha. and that sucks because we go through like at least 2 bags a month. yes, we're big on rice.

judyp

sarNie Adult
oh yeah, my mom was complaining about it to me last night. she said it was gonna be like $34 versus like $20 (more or less) before. i was like, what do you want me to do about it? she said, buy it. haha. and that sucks because we go through like at least 2 bags a month. yes, we're big on rice.

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
i know. my mama was complaining last nite too. there was a rice sale going on & she was mad cuz she missed out. lol. she was like "damn rice so expensive."

my family is almost big on rice.

Azlisakhmer

sarNie Adult
I know my mom was jus complaining about this this morning she was like $50 I was like wasn't it $25 dollars like a month ago... damn ppl are jus trying get rich fast first GAS now RICE man.... Well I'm gonna cut back on rice and eat salad den cuz only a dollar a bag

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
mister bubbub what does rice not being exported from cambodia have anyhting to do with price of rice going up in america? i mean we can still export from cambodia? its just thailand that's not able to or did u mean all countries beside thailand?

Mister Bubbub

sarNie Egg
^The thing about that is, Cambodia doesn't export rice to America. Rice crops from Cambodia is usually being sold/export to Thailand and from there to everywhere. Cambodia doesn't have a 'big' corporate company that exports rice, yet. Therefore, while the border and due to reasons that rice crops are being halted due to the elections in Cambodia, Thailand can't provide as much as they did before because the majority of rice crops from Thailand are exported from Cambodia. So if the Thailand border is being cut off for exporting rice crops, inflation happens. Also, the Asian stores around here said that they couldn't import as much rice from Thailand due to those reasons. (Most Asian stores overseas, if not all, import the rice crops from Thailand).

Edit: Not to mention with the rice exports being halted, it causes shortage of rice crops therefore causing the price to rise.

noungning

Heartless
oh wow haha it's 37 here in little old rhody... wow, 50 bucks is hefty!

recession, inflation-pizza dough, milk, now jasmine rice... omg... how about we just drink water? it's still cheap, for now.

recession, inflation-pizza dough, milk, now jasmine rice... omg... how about we just drink water? it's still cheap, for now.
not sure about that one, do you live in a place with clean water? we have to run ours through a distiller around here. ^_^

noungning

Heartless
not sure about that one, do you live in a place with clean water? we have to run ours through a distiller around here. ^_^
well i was refering to buying the drinking water because my parents don't do tap water lol. well the cost of water is rising, however it's not as bad when u buy in wholesale amounts.

as for bathing and such, we rent, no cost involved. lol besides rent <_<