Rice has weird smell. Help!

thuynmt

sarNie Fansubber
Okay, it has been more than a month and the rice my mom buy is smelling like dead roaches or paint when it is cooked in the rice cooker. First, we suspect it was the problem with the rice cooker, so we went out and buy a new one for about a hundred bucks. It turns out the rice still smells horrible as before. Then we suspect it was the brand itself, which is Royal Umbrella--a product of thailand (new crop 2008)--so we went out and buy a different brand: Three Sisters, which is also a product of thailand (new crop 2008). Is this happening to everyone or a lot of people, because I can't find reason to why the rice keeps smelling horrible. Asians need rice!!! Please help! :lol:

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
chances are.. you've got a bad bag of rice, cause rice suppose to smell good. Don't take any chances... you should just get rid of it.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Make sure you washed the rice really, really well until the water is cleared before cook it, that should help.
Some peoples use cold water to wash their rice. But in your case, try to wash with warm water, and then cold water at the end.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I agree with Maya Fantasy. Make sure you rinse the rice real well before cooking it because the smell of cooked rice is pleasant.

thuynmt

sarNie Fansubber
My mom wash it very well. Like 5-6 times. We buy from different stores too, but I don't know why it still smells.

We going to experiment some hypothesis tonight.

annea

sarNie Adult
^^^ science and rice...hehehe..but yea..I never got any rice that smells bad before...except when it is already cook and we dont finish it for a fews day then it starts smelling funky...but raw rice shouldnt smell bad....

Okay, it has been more than a month and the rice my mom buy is smelling like dead roaches or paint when it is cooked in the rice cooker. First, we suspect it was the problem with the rice cooker, so we went out and buy a new one for about a hundred bucks. It turns out the rice still smells horrible as before. Then we suspect it was the brand itself, which is Royal Umbrella--a product of thailand (new crop 2008)--so we went out and buy a different brand: Three Sisters, which is also a product of thailand (new crop 2008). Is this happening to everyone or a lot of people, because I can't find reason to why the rice keeps smelling horrible. Asians need rice!!! Please help! :lol:
It could be the water... Because if if washing the rice and trying differ type of rice and same result... Its possibly the water you guys use... Paint and roach like.... Yes most likely the water... Butta I dont know... I dont eat rice... I cant afford rice... sadly... poor college student... keke!!!

te_1_n_only_me

sarNie Egg
I wouldn't noe since my mom find out that the rice price would go up, she brought a bunch of bags at this khmer store that haven't raise the price yet. We haven't had to go buy another bag of rice yet.

thuynmt

sarNie Fansubber
My mom cook my brother's rice today, and it doesn't smell. So the only reason to that is the rice is too old and they rip us off with the "new crop 2008." <_< <_<

I think they put a lot of chemical. We cook other stuff with the same water. The water is very clean since we cook a lot of soup and other stuff too.