Religion or Not?

What do you consider/accept Buddhism to be?

• Philosophy

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Religion

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Both

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I Have No Idea

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member

Ok, so there was a thread in the hmong section about religion and I thought it was interesting. We haven't had a serious discussion for awhile. So I guess the question is Do you accept Buddhism as a religion, philosophy, or both? I often have this debate with people and it's always interesting

*However! PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY COMMENTS SERIOUS! I KNOW SOME WILL BE OFFENDED BY THIS TOPIC SO PLEASE KEEP IT DECENT!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I voted both, because although it's technically a way of life (then again most religions are) it's also considered a religion, or at least a spirituality? But most people lump spirituality and religion together so it still makes Buddhism a religion. haha Oh well.

transcend89

sarNie Adult
hmmmm....almost anything is consider a religion now so it's up to the individual and i do love debates it lets you hear ppl perspectives

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member

Yeah I think it depends on the person and what they perceive it as. As for myself I don't consider it a religion because I don't believe Buddha intended for it to be one. At the same time I can't speak for Buddha. However, I do believe that he didn't intend it to be a religion. I think some people consider it a religion because it's displayed as one. For example when someone asks, "What's your religion" many people would say, "Buddhist" because they have no other answer. If someone asked me, I'd tell them I don't practice according to any religion. I believe in god, but I'm not christian, catholic, baptist, etc. I am a Buddhist though. I guess it sounds confusing.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I voted both. I believe that the teachings of Buddhism make it a philosophy, but those who follow it follow it as a religion. But then it also depends on how the person defines religion.

I think it depend on the definition that you 'll give to. Can you say really what is a religion or not? Do you think that because you have a god, it will mean that you have a religion?... Personnaly, i don't think so. For me, having a religion mean you have to believe in something, it doesn't matter what is it or who is it... you just need to believe in and then you can call it a religion.. because it will be the thing that will help you to go on your way in your life...For me, Buddhism is a religion even if some people tend to say that it just a philosophy, because people believe in Buddha which mean that they believe in someone who doesn't really exist and this is what that help them to live everyday. But like i use to say, each religion have their own point of view and then it depends on who are judging them, but they are all the same.It doesn't matter which religion you practice, if you take time to look at others, you'll see that they are exctely the same, it just different on the way that people choose to practice it....

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid

Yeah I think it depends on the person and what they perceive it as. As for myself I don't consider it a religion because I don't believe Buddha intended for it to be one. At the same time I can't speak for Buddha. However, I do believe that he didn't intend it to be a religion. I think some people consider it a religion because it's displayed as one. For example when someone asks, "What's your religion" many people would say, "Buddhist" because they have no other answer. If someone asked me, I'd tell them I don't practice according to any religion. I believe in god, but I'm not christian, catholic, baptist, etc. I am a Buddhist though. I guess it sounds confusing.

i agree with you on this one. i too believe in god but im not a christian, catholic or whatever. (even though i was baptized since i was kid but then it wasnt even my choice) i used to go to church too and again it wasnt my choice. to me if you want to pray...any place will do. because what you believe in is and will always be with you in your heart & mind.

each religion has an idol, someone/something ppl look up to.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
to me, a religion is a spiritual belief filled with virtues and morals; so therefore I voted religion cause Theyvrada Buddhism is what I believe in. I also believe in the lord Jesus Christ.

I love both Jesus Christ and Sidhartha Gauthama. They are the light that guides me through the darkness that I live in. :D

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
there are several branches of buddhism. the top buddhist branches are theravada and mahayana. i studied buddhism for a summer. i'll scrap up what i remember. lol

theravada consists of followers from mostly the southeast regions of asia (i.e., thailand, laos, cambodia, burma...whatever else...), and is the oldest of the buddhist religions. with theravada, it's all about the mind, intellect, training and discipline. there are rules and guidelines to follow in order to reach enlightenment...basically, followers are motivated by the teachings and not the supernatural art (for the most part). ultimately, it takes "you" and "you" only to be able to reach freedom from desires and "suffering". ideally, theravada is more philisophical.

mahayana consists of followers from mostly the northern parts of asia (i.e., china, japan, korea, tibet, vietnam, etc.). this branch of buddhism came after theravada like...i can't remember how many centuries later...maybe just one...forgot. some other branches of mahayana is like zen, and tibetan buddhism. with mahayana, it's majorily a reliant on superntural beliefs...you live normally, but still be "good"...not as much meditation if u are not a monk or nun...a deeper concentration on higher beings/deities, and the need to be reincarnated to help others reach nirvana. ideally, mahayana is more a religion.

sabaidee_keo

sarNie Hatchling
I voted Philosophy lol.

I think Religion basically is just a philosophy of methods to teach you how to be a good person, like the ideal way to have morals. It's not really anyone's business but your own, and you shouldn't judge someone who doesn't believe/follow the same morals as you do since you're only responsible for yourself, your own soul. And you shouldn't try to impose your logics/beliefs on others as well, because that's sort of trying to force them into taking something in when they could be not totally there with it.

It's just philosophies, really. Arguing whether it's something tangent or not is useless since no one can really prove of it's realistic existence.

Kina

Dubsteppin'
Siddhartha was just a prince and a man who saw the world as chaotic. This perception was the advent of the teachings of what WE call Buddhism. He taught but never proselytized - and he certainly did not and never intended in starting a religion so therefore, there's no need to proselytize anyone. His ideas and teachings weren't out of religious texts so to call it religion is contraindicated. His good intentions were merely to fix society with his idealism. He was just a prince, a man who experienced an awakening and so his ideas for societal change shaped what we now know as BUDDHISM - and other branches.

If he was still alive, would he be angered that some people have retorted his work as religion? Or would he be honored?

Me? I know it to be a philosophy as the person meant it to be just that - not a religion.