Production companies in Thai ET industry

Maricon

sarNie Oldmaid
I think there's no topic about this yet...I'm curious about them so here we go, I'd love to know about your opinions...

For you which production company makes the best lakorns?
Which production company is bad or still needs improvement when producing lakorns?
What can you suggest for improvement of producing lakorns (ex. Explore different lakorn genres instead of sticking to one or two, be open to work with different actors and actresses instead of picking only their favorites or in other words let the channels' actors and actresses work with different production companies, more original scripts for lakorns)?

Hope it makes sense lol

Waffle

❤ BTS ❤
Love P'Anne but definitely want to see improvements in Thong Ent,.
Kane Citizen needs to be more open with their pra nang castings.
I always liked Lakorn Thai, now i'm getting in Act Art's lakorns.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
In order for a production to be successful, it requires everything from a good producer, director, scripwriter, camera and lighting men, makeup artists, costume people etc. Everything is a matter of preference really. For one, most productions from all channels need to quit with the remakes and venture out into producing original lakorns. I've been saying this for years but there's plenty of good Thai novels out there. Heck, even a lot of the fanfics I've read on various forums are good enough to be adapted into a series so the possibilities are endless. As for producers playing favorites.. well everyone is guilty of that. It all comes down to these productions being openminded enough to accept new things.

For me, Broadcast Thai is the powerhouse at Ch3. They're a detailed production with the ability to produce a variety of genres from period to modern, comedy, revenge, slap/kiss, romcom. Just when you think they're going to fail you with their casting choices, they prove you wrong like in Bang Rajan. That was during a period where not many people were too aware of Phet, Prang or Punjan and Thai viewers didn't really like Wawwa but that lakorn brought out the best in all of them thanks to the director, P'Mai who did a wonderful job at directing them. Khun Nong has her favorites but she's never limiting herself in terms of casting because she goes out of her way to contact freelance actors/actresses and people who normally work with other producers. This production knows what they're doing and they understand what the viewers want. I generally don't like Broadcast kids; Pope, Toey, Ken P/Belbel, Wawwa, Nychaa but for the most part, I can tolerate watching these people if its with this production. Act Art and Lakorn Thai are ranked in the same league but I find these two productions to be overrated and OTT which is why I don't care much for their productions as much as majority of the Thai viewers do. Iunno, perhaps the fact that Khun Da and Khun Aew added an additional 4 more R scenes in Sawan Bieng left a bad taste in my mouth until this day. I feel the same way about Anne's production, very OTT and supporting-focused. I don't care to watch a lakorn with obxious side characters getting most of the focus and overuse of love/kiss scenes.

No Problem/Feel Good is not bad. P'Mam needs to stray far away from the countryside for awhile but generally I enjoy most of her works. The plotlines to her lakorns are simple, easygoing and straightforward which is perfect on the days I want to watch something lighthearted. I never cared for Good Feeling but lately they've been doing great with their recent lakorns thanks to the scriptwriter P'King is using, Nanthawan Rungwongphanit. The underdog of Ch3 is Master One. Who&Who and Pau Jin Jong are the lost causes. Kai Varayuth used to have a thing for picking the best actors and producing masterpiceces since he was the one behind the success of our legendary koo kwan, Willy/Mew. Ah Too used to be so good at Ch7 but it's as if he's lost his magic when he moved to Ch 3 which is pity because he produced some of the best lakorns, especially the ones with Oil and Aum and Nune during their primetime. I don't know how I feel about Maker Y... Khun Ja always gets the copyrights to the good stories and has the elements to make a good lakorn but somehow she fails in her execution. Sai See Plerng is the best example of her epic fail in remaking a classic. Her brother Jett needs a little more experience and maybe if he worked with a different director besides Num Krit or Chai, things might turn out better. Maker J is a hit or miss. Whatever happened to Dtuk Jenjira's production? I don't think she has anything lined up for this year when I actually like a few of her lakorns. I don't think anyone has time to read about me critisizing the rest of the companies at Ch3 so I'll leave it at that haha. On a brighter note, I'm super excited to see Aom Phiyada producing for Ch3 for the first time and I'm curious as to who Ch3 will give to her.

On to Ch7, hands down Mummai and Pordeecom are the best ones. I might be bias towards Mummai the most since they tend to use one of my favorite director, Ott Teerasak. Tle's production Mongkol Kan Lakorn seems to be moving in the right direction with the success of KLKNHJ and LSL so I hope they continue to do well. Dida seriously needs to fire Ken Theradeeth's mom and and hire a new scriptwriter because she has ruined so many lakorns due to her slow and old school writing. DaraVDO doesn't have the same magic as they did before which is likely due to a lot of their old members retiring or moving to Ch3 so they need to find the right crew. Kantana is a hit or miss depending on the sriptwriter and director.

Last edited:
P

PrincessKarina

In order for a production to be successful, it requires everything from a good producer, director, scripwriter, camera and lighting men, makeup artists, costume people etc. Everything is a matter of preference really. For one, most productions from all channels need to quit with the remakes and venture out into producing original lakorns. I've been saying this for years but there's plenty of good Thai novels out there. Heck, even a lot of the fanfics I've read on various forums are good enough to be adapted into a series so the possibilities are endless. As for producers playing favorites.. well everyone is guilty of that. It all comes down to these productions being openminded enough to accept new things.

For me, Broadcast Thai is the powerhouse at Ch3. They're a detailed production with the ability to produce a variety of genres from period to modern, comedy, revenge, slap/kiss, romcom. Just when you think they're going to fail you with their casting choices, they prove you wrong like in Bang Rajan. That was during a period where not many people were too aware of Phet, Prang or Punjan and Thai viewers didn't really like Wawwa but that lakorn brought out the best in all of them thanks to the director, P'Mai who did a wonderful job at directing them. Khun Nong has her favorites but she's never limiting herself in terms of casting because she goes out of her way to contact freelance actors/actresses and people who normally work with other producers. This production knows what they're doing and they understand what the viewers want. I generally don't like Broadcast kids; Pope, Toey, Ken P/Belbel, Wawwa, Nychaa but for the most part, I can tolerate watching these people if its with this production. Act Art and Lakorn Thai are ranked in the same league but I find these two productions to be overrated and OTT which is why I don't care much for their productions as much as majority of the Thai viewers do. Iunno, perhaps the fact that Khun Da and Khun Aew added an additional 4 more R scenes in Sawan Bieng left a bad taste in my mouth until this day. I feel the same way about Anne's production, very OTT and supporting-focused. I don't care to watch a lakorn with obxious side characters getting most of the focus and overuse of love/kiss scenes.

No Problem/Feel Good is not bad. P'Mam needs to stray far away from the countryside for awhile but generally I enjoy most of her works. The plotlines to her lakorns are simple, easygoing and straightforward which is perfect on the days I want to watch something lighthearted. I never cared for Good Feeling but lately they've been doing great with their recent lakorns thanks to the scriptwriter P'King is using, Nanthawan Rungwongphanit. The underdog of Ch3 is Master One. Who&Who and Pau Jin Jong are the lost causes. Kai Varayuth used to have a thing for picking the best actors and producing masterpiceces since he was the one behind the success of our legendary koo kwan, Willy/Mew. Ah Too used to be so good at Ch7 but it's as if he's lost his magic when he moved to Ch 3 which is pity because he produced some of the best lakorns, especially the ones with Oil and Aum and Nune during their primetime. I don't know how I feel about Maker Y... Khun Ja always gets the copyrights to the good stories and has the elements to make a good lakorn but somehow she fails in her execution. Sai See Plerng is the best example of her epic fail in remaking a classic. Her brother Jett needs a little more experience and maybe if he worked with a different director besides Num Krit or Chai, things might turn out better. Maker J is a hit or miss. Whatever happened to Dtuk Jenjira's production? I don't think she has anything lined up for this year when I actually like a few of her lakorns. I don't think anyone has time to read about me critisizing the rest of the companies at Ch3 so I'll leave it at that haha. On a brighter note, I'm super excited to see Aom Phiyada producing for Ch3 for the first time and I'm curious as to who Ch3 will give to her.

On to Ch7, hands down Mummai and Pordeecom are the best ones. I might be bias towards Mummai the most since they tend to use one of my favorite director, Ott Teerasak. Tle's production Mongkol Kan Lakorn seems to be moving in the right direction with the success of KLKNHJ and LSL so I hope they continue to do well. Dida seriously needs to fire Ken Theradeeth's mom and and hire a new scriptwriter because she has ruined so many lakorns due to her slow and old school writing. DaraVDO doesn't have the same magic as they did before which is likely due to a lot of their old members retiring or moving to Ch3 so they need to find the right crew. Kantana is a hit or miss depending on the sriptwriter and director.
Oh wow! You seem to know many of the production companies in Thailand. I read your post carefully. I leaned a few good points and production companies I have never even heard of. Thank you! :) To me I am liking Act Art lately but I am not familiar with many other ones. I think many Thailand production companies need to express more love scenes that shows willingness from the Pranangs. For example, lip kissing without over doing it of course! Seriously I don't think Thailand's popular superstars (Nadech, Yaya, Mark, Kim, JJ, Bella, JMA, Mint, Mario, Taew, Mew, Ken P or etc) even know how to kiss realistically! If they do have a lip kissing scene it is so quick and it's just a peck on the lips! I also agree they need to stray away from re-makes! Oh my goodness how many remakes of what lakorns do we need to see? We are desperately in need of fresh new ideas/storylines. Also, it would be nice if all the Channels can borrow actors and actresses from each other here and there! It would be so cool! And I think to be a good production company also depends on the expertise of the directors, writers, artists, producers, etc! Yes I also think Thong Ent could use more improvements. No offense to P'Ann. I like her too! But, I thought JMA and Kim's lakorn had some unnecessary kissing scenes even though I didn't watch the whole lakorn from head to toe. Also, Thong Ent could promote other popular or younger actors/actresses and help them climb up the ladder this way instead of using the same repetitive actors/actresses with similar plots (HINT KIM). Will add more later... ;)

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
No problem PrincessKarina. Haha glad to hear that my post was somewhat helpful although those are all just my personal opinions on some of the productions. Anne has the potential to be a good producer since she's a wonderful actress herself. She's very detailed and great in allowing the cast to convey their emotions because of her visions and experiences of being a nang aek for many years. However, I think she needs to solidify the storylines to her lakorns a bit more. Instead of focusing on so many side characters, give priority to the main couple. I don't mind kissing when the script calls for it but if you're just adding them for the sake of ratings or just for the heck of it (yes I'm lookin at you Pin Anong), that's when it becomes distasteful. I care more about having a realistic love story and good transitions/development than intimacy. Also, I don't blame producers for always using their favourites. They know who they're comfortable with and they want the stability of having someone who will get their work done while providing them with the results they want. It's also about acting style.

P

PrincessKarina

I agree with you @PrincessKarina about production always pick their favorite for example, Thong pick Kim, and actart ALWAYS choose Taew as their nang'ek! P'off should give opportunity to other actresses besides Taew
Lol. Yes I feel you. I am not a fan of Kim but I do see Ann chose her many times just like how Act Art chose Taew many times. I am a huge fan of Taew but agree that P'Off should also try promoting other talented actresses too. Channel 3 has a ton! Good results and ratings are important too but if other actresses weren't given the chance we would never know! :p

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
All productions better spread their wings soon cause they have like 50 newbies to introduce very soon lol. I don't even understand why they went and signed so many people esp since a lot of the girls are only 12-13 years old.

Last edited:
P

PrincessKarina

All productions better spread their wings son cause they have like 50 newbies to introduce very soon lol. I don't even understand why they went and signed so many people esp since a lot of the girls are only 12-13 years old.
What the? Oh my goodness! How overwhelming! :fighting12:

Maricon

sarNie Oldmaid
50 newbies?!?! Wow that's a lot. Majority of them are still in school lol.
Hoping that production companies and Thai channels will step up and let everyone shine, of all generations of actors and actresses by giving them quality lakorns and opportunities to work with each other, like switching them up! :D

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
Best companies.
1. Thong Entertainment has been the most consistently good, therefore probably one of my favourite productions.
2. Act Art lakorns are always good (the mafia one had it's downfalls but the series as a whole was pretty good), even a lame comedy like Rak Gerd Nai Talad Sod somehow got pumped up with some pretty good subplots to fill it out.
3. Lakorn Thai. I'm hardly let down by this company, I always get good romantic scenes from this production.
4. Good Feeling. When they first started out their lakorns really sucked but after Suparburoot Judathep their lakorns have always been good and enjoyable.

Hit and Misses
1. Maker's Group. Very inconsistent.
2. Dida/DaraVDO. Believe it or not but these companies used to be extremely good back in the day, pretty much all the classics were made by them in the 90's. Once in a while nowadays you get a good lakorn from them but most of them end up being choppy or nonsensical. It's a safe bet that their lakorns under 16 episodes is probably not a bad lakorn.
3. TV Scene. Most of their lakorns get pretty boring and overly moralist with very underwhelming romantic scenes. Their best work was Roy Marn, everything else is mediocre.
4. Broadcast Thai. In recent years the quality of their lakorns have sometimes gone downhill. Their period and horror lakorns are mostly their best work (besides Kol Kimono), their comedy lakorns are mostly the hit and misses.
5. Who and Who. Used to make the best classics, nowadays Kai misses his mark. Kaen Sanaeha wasn't too bad though if we're thinking of recent-ish work I've seen.
6. Exact. I used to consider Exact a bad production but their lakorns have reduced killing sprees and dragging significantly in recent years. Their remakes such as Banlang Mek, E-Sa, Koo Gum have been great.
7. No Problem. MEH

Mostly Misses
1. Kantana. Either super draggy or ends up being super stupid. I can't remember the last lakorn I liked from them.