Parents thought about me?

PeNgUIn*3o3

sarNie Egg
UPDATE: 6-23-09
I took a day away from my usual life and measured myself, and I come to realize that I am worse than before. I act like I've become the daughter-in-law in the house. I cook, clean, and give my friend a back massage and pretty much I do every dANg thing he tells me to. I try so hard to say NO and when I try to stand up for myself, I end up losing because its so hard for me to say NO to anyone in general. Sometimes he makes me do it around his parents and I feel so embarrassed. Yes, I would like to do it, but only when your parents are not around.
ALSO there were days when I dont come around for 3-4 days and his parents would ask him why I havent been around. When I do come over the following day or so the mother would ask me if her son was being mean to me and etc. I would tell her I been so busy I dont have time to come around so often anymore like I used to. I would give her the same excuse over and over. I been listening to everyone here advices so I been distant from the family. But every father and mother's day I was in charge to cook the meals. Sometimes when his parents come home late and have to work overtime he would call me to come over and go to the store. ONLY when we get to the store that he tells me I need to help him cook dinner. I mean its nice to use my talent when I can, butta I dont want to act like I am dating their son or like I am the daughter in law. I mother has given me names of some girls she would like to have as daughter in law and my name was not there. I feel rather odd that she shares alot of things with me. The dad rarely talks to me still; except on Father's day when I cranked out a father's day meal for his family. I was so tired out and the father thanked me.
Ive taken up excercising, working extra late and hang less with my friend but when I usually do chill with him, I am always walking around the house like I am his wife; doing this and that. I really need to stop myself... I am trying so hard... HELP ME... Anymore advices... Thanks! I dont know if his parents like me or not, but they do enjoy my cooking! I been cooking alot of the things I made for them often when I am at his house. The mother been teaching me how to do things around the house too. I dont know. I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when I go to the house. I really gotta stop myself. Anyones got advices to help me. THanks in ADVANCE!

Hmong-wise... How do I know if your friend's parents dislike you? Or maybe perhaps like you? My hmong guy friend and I hang out alot... Almost every weekend and sometimes one or two times during the weekdays. I see his parents ALOT too, and they say "HI" to me too... I have known my friend for 3 years now, and his parent have gotten used to me coming around in the last 2 years. His parents dont talk to me much, just a simple HI and when they are eating they invite me to come eat. Other then that, zippo, nada, blank! Sometimes I have a feeling that his parents dont really like me because they dont talk to me. I can be at their house ALL day but no word from them.
2nd issue... I do hear his parents nag my friend several times about when will he decide to settle down and start a family. My friend is a player, or so I consider him to be. For as long as I have known him, there is only ONE girl (Izzo) other then me and Marcy that he is talking to. Marcy and him has always been HS friends, he likes her, and she likes him but they wont get together. Then there's me, always with him and most people think we are dating but were not. JUST GOOD FRIENDS. and then Izzo he's talking to, she is determined to marry him, but he tells me and Marcy she's just a friend.
My friend rarely hangs out with Marcy, usually with me, and talks to Izzo around me alot. Sometimes I wonder... There was this one day I happened to be at their house when the mom made dinner. Apparently I was the last to finish eating and his parent finished eating and went upstairs to the bed. My friend just went downstairs to play his Wii game. Izzo called him and I did ask him kindly if he would do the dishes because its not my house. He kept telling me that I should just do it because they fed me. Anyways I decided to do it. I finished with all the dishes and started to put things away when I walked over to him and asked where to put the leftover food and what to cover them with. He was on the phone with Izzo and when she calls I can't talk because she will blow things out of poportion. I was trying to communicate with him by whispering back and forth but I couldnt understand a single thing he said to me. With Izzo talking like there was no tomorrow he put her on MUTE! While she was still blabbering on and he muted her on the phone my friend and started to YELL at me. Saying that I was doing all this on purpose, acting dumb. His mom who was in the bathroom heard him yell at me rudely... the mom then said for me to leave it alone and she will come do it... I felt so embarrassed... My friend and I usually joke around bitching at one another, just NEVER around his parents. After that I felt even more ODD and weird around them... His parents have heard more then a few times when he has yelled at me for being dumb around his house... I cant help it if I dont know where things are... Sometime I wonder if his parent do think we are a couple because of the stupid things that we both do around the house...
His mom did ask about my family too, but seriously his mom is part of my family thru marriage so she just saying to start something with me perhaps... I dont know... But I am starting to think that his parents dont like me around their son... He's not talking to the girls that his parents picked out for him and nor is he wanting to settle down... Is it because of ME?

FIRST are u HMONG?

LOL... U and ur frien sounds alot like me and SLL... haha... :p
Since I have been school bounded I cant chill wid SLL no more so I dunno wat that fool has been up to... *sigh*

ANYWAISE... Bak to ur post... Umm... <_< maybe the parent do like u if they are asking about your family... do u like him? like more then a friend? most OGs dont talk to u unless you talk to them... Maybe u can find something to talk to them about instead of waiting for them to talk to u...
If he hangs with u tat much, theres gotta be more then friendship there... Possible falling in love, and u two are not admitting to one another yet... GOSHERS SO MUCH OLD MEMOS FOR ME... lol... :p
I would say try talking to the parent to see if u can bond with them too... OGs love talking about Fobbie movies... try to talk about that... haha... I duno... Sorry not of much help here... BUT GOOD LUCK! =D

BTW... if i was a mother and I heard my son yelling at a friend, I would assume that they are dating or in love... Friends dont tell friends to do things... Especially to clean up the house... haha... maybe u are their daughter in law already... and the parents leaving u the dishes to wash... haha... sweet... try to be a good daughter in law... i jus playin'

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
if u've never talked to his parents before, i think ur hurting ur own reputation as to how they view u. because when u go to another persons how and ur always there. u should at least take the initiative to start a conversation with them, so that next time when u come over, they'll greet u and be more open around u. just coming over and never talkin to them, makes parents kinda iffy about who u are, and why ur there.

the dishes part, no matter what, if u are a guest in their house and u eat with them, u should at least do the dishes...lol thats jus how i see it.

Mae

sarNie Adult
Sounds like no joke to me girl... why do you allow yourself to be treated that way by him? unless you're interested in him? just playing devil's advocate here to challenge your thoughts and concerns... some things for you to ponder... well, if his parents are traditional, then most hmong traditional parents don't really respect girls that come over to their house and spend hours and days in with their son... that's just unacceptable behavior and may be a reason why they're not talking to you (if indeed they are really traditional)...

xyooj92

sarNie Hatchling
^ yeah i agree with u..the traditionall hmong parents dont believe in a guy and girl being "Friends"..thats wat my mom always tells me that a guy and girl cant b just friends.haha..and even thought u guys r good friends..i dont think u should b going to his house so often..well my mom likes to tlak to hmong people..so if she sees one she'll talk to them and stuff..but i dont have hmong friends..so yeah.haha..
well does his parents look at u weird?.haha..y not try asking ure friend if his parents like u or not?

SuabCoobThoj

sarNie Egg
Something I don't understand. Is it a normal thing nowadays for guys and girls to just hang out at each others' house on a daily basis? I personally do not like it at all regardless if a couple is just friends or currently in a relationship. Not just that, the parents cannot tolerate a person if he/she keeps coming to their house all the time. I know I would hate it if my son keeps bringing people to my house. They may not say it out loud, but they really do not like it and it is also not an appropriate thing to do in our culture.

Kids I see nowadays are always hanging out at each others' house all the time almost everyday of the week. The parent may not say anything, but I can just imagine how much pain they are going through.

If one is planning on becoming the son or daughter-in-law of a family, the characteristics of a "neeg cuav zej cuav zos" will definitely not impress the parents. ;)

mailee0515

sarNie Egg
Modern tradition allows us to just hang out at each other's home regardless of whether we are different genders. Most parents are polite so they don't say anything if a girl comes over and hangs out with their sons but most of the time, it's pretty uncomfortable. Personally, I don't like it either when girls come over and hang out at my house with my brothers even if I know them. A home is a place where family can find space for themselves without strangers intruding. Even if the stranger is someone they know, after one or two visits, it gets pretty uncomfortable. I think you have to put yourself in the parent's situation. Out of respect, I think you two should not meet at his home that often even though you may be best friends, because his parents may be traditional and although they don't say it, you should have the courtesy to respect that. It's not that they don't like you, it's just the "Hmong" culture and it's not because of you.

slee00

sarNie Adult
I totally agree with Suab Coob Thoj and Nancy Lee...And let me tell you why...I have a 21 year old son and an 18 year old son....they are great young men with great friends, but whenever they bring their friends over, I have to cook more, clean much, and cant go to sleep because they "hang out" all night long! And the next morning I have to wash dishes again before I go to work...I like them all and I like it when they bring friends over...but they must know their limits. Friends must be polite and must not let other clean after them...also, the house is the parents peace and quiet after a long day at work...so give them the peace...I say "hang out" once in a while will earn you more points in this...

Also....do you like this guy romantically or trying to impress his parents for a reasons? If you are, you might not realize this, but hanging out at his house is not a good idea. Call it the HMONG TRADITION

slee00

sarNie Adult
If his parents are in their late 40s...yeah they are still somewhat very traditional....dont want them to say..."here she is again.." I sometimes feel like saying here he is again...whenever this one young man comes over....because he comes like 3-4 times plus the weekend...and left his stinking socks all over the living room, dont wash his glasses after drinking...left his mcdonald trash all over the coffee table...and it is annoying....I can't say or tell him anything because he is my son's friend...and it is akward for my son to remind him to pick after himself because they are adults...After a while it starts to wear my son down but he can't tell him not to come to our house...it sort of ruin the relationship....I don't have peace of mind at my own house! I am saying...if you want to hang out at his house, make sure you do your chores, wash your glasses, wash dishes after a meal with them...yeah...and pick your socks or shoes! should not overstaying your welcome.....at least 20-30 min is good especially if just you and him and no other friends....but don't hang out at his bedroom! We parents dont like to leave our son alone with another girl in their room...even if they are just friends.....Not in the Hmong culture....
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings....I know many young people hang out at each other's house but don't do it too often....you taking away the peace in that family that is why they went to sleep....maybe they didn't plan to go to sleep that early but you taking their time so politely they gave you the space....Now they might not say anything....but dont wait til they say something...I know I have to cancel my plans when their friends are over.....I have to cancel my plans to relax in the couch or watch a good show...etc....Or change my routine....people hate changing routines especally in their own homes....

MasterMind

sarNie Hatchling
Girl, get yourself the hell outta there. First off, home is sanctuary and you're an outsider and invading their privacy! Secondly, you're just inviting gossips and a bad reputation for yourself by your actions. It's just a lose-lose situation for you.

And what does your parents/family think about you spending all your free time at a boy's house?

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Im not sure what to say...Hmong parents can be very fake at times...they'll pretend that they like you...They say hi to you and ask you to eat when your around...but then behind your back they hate your ass. This is only through experience with me and my boyfriend. Like you they say hi and whatever when i'm there but when i'm not around his mom is constantly bitching at him for being with me. I don't know about all mom's but even my boyfriend tells me that hmong parents are fake and they like to be liked, so of course there really nice when your around. Especially if your not hmong then I doubt that they like you. But this is only my thoughts so if i offend anyone please forgive me. I mean it's not like there like that forever eventually they will get over it if they come to a conclusion that they can't do anything about it after a long battle.

but then agian i'm talking relationship wise....but if i was his parents i would assume that you guys are dating since your over there so much. So yeah.

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Im not sure what to say...Hmong parents can be very fake at times...they'll pretend that they like you...They say hi to you and ask you to eat when your around...but then behind your back they hate your ass. This is only through experience with me and my boyfriend. Like you they say hi and whatever when i'm there but when i'm not around his mom is constantly bitching at him for being with me. I don't know about all mom's but even my boyfriend tells me that hmong parents are fake and they like to be liked, so of course there really nice when your around. Especially if your not hmong then I doubt that they like you. But this is only my thoughts so if i offend anyone please forgive me. I mean it's not like there like that forever eventually they will get over it if they come to a conclusion that they can't do anything about it after a long battle.

but then agian i'm talking relationship wise....but if i was his parents i would assume that you guys are dating since your over there so much. So yeah.

Yup, what you said is soooo true. My uncle's wife is sorta like that, I heard her saying some stuff too. Thats why whenever they do any type of jingle bell or eating party, I dont really stay to eat anymore. -_-

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Well from the sounds of that it seems like the mother does like you..especially if you cook and clean for them. And damn you do all that for your guy friend...Im curious...if you don't mind meeh asking...how old are you? and how long have you guys been friends and you been doing this...no offense but you sound like his mistress...or just a good wife...you mind as well just marry him. Question....are you just not admitting to youself that you like or is in love with this dude. Think about that.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
you're basically doing everything a "nyab" would do for her in laws
friends don't do those kind of things with each other
it's okay for girls to chill out with a guy friend once in a while
but what you're doing is more like a married couple thing
i don't know you or know what your intentions are with this guy friend of yours
but to me.. it seems like you're in love with this guy
no girl would behave like this (not that it's bad) and do all this for a guy
unless somewhere in her heart.. she's got something for him
i suggest you stop doing it because like they said up there in an earlier post
his parents may act like they like you and all..
but they're probably talking smack when you're not around
and they must think you are very desperate and really want to marry their son
it's all up to you though
i just think you shouldn't put yourself through all that stuff if you have no relationship with him
other than a "friendship"

PeNgUIn*3o3

sarNie Egg
Once upon a long time ago in ancient history I did have special feelings for him. I felt like I understood him and we were always in unison. Sometimes we finish one another's sentence and etc... He gave me the "special" treatment like I was someone important to him until one day I found out he had other girls that calls him and he called them too. That was when the feelings I had for him went down crashing like thunder and lightning. I remain calm because I dont like to make things worse then they are and I never admit to him that I had feelings for him so it was pointless to throw all these into his face. When he noticed that my attitude towards him changed he started to tell me that he hanged around me a lot because he was bored. That cause me to dislike him even more. So yes I do admit I did like him a lot because I really felt a connection with him. But now... in this time... this period... this present time... it is nothing but a mutual feeling of friendship. I dont like guys who fool around and play with other girls hearts and etc... Over time I noticed he has improved and cut his girls down to 2 but the bad impression he gave me was everlasting.

Most of my free-time is spent at the gym now-a-days. Every week I seem him 1 to 2 times and usually for no more than 3 hours. Unless were watching a movie or I am cooking at the house. I am a college student so since school is out I have a lot of free time. I am a dorky 21 year old with absolutely no experience in the dating world. I have always been school driven and guys that I liked never liked me. So I just stopped having interest in them. PERIOD. Out of all my friends, this one has stuck to me like glue. We do things like we are dating and we go out a lot but for me I have no feelings whatsoever for him but friendship. Perhaps its that he cause me to feel that way for him.
His parents are very nice to me, so in return I treat them just as if they are my parents. My parents have taught us that if people treat you nice you in return do the same. Being born and raised in the red-neck world, and being Hmong, our parents didnt think we would ever end up with a Hmong man. So we didnt really know how far is too far with Hmong people. But in the red-neck world... its really nothing. Anyhow, back to his parents; they feed me when I have no food, so I cook and clean for them once in awhile. I love to cook so I am really into asian culinary cooking so it makes me feel good to know that I can share my cooking. When I get the chance to express my cooking I always jump to it whether is be for people I know or not. I just noticed that after examining my bad habits which has gone to worse... its no longer cooking for excitment but cooking because I HAVE TO NOW. Its like it has become my duty to cook. Just makes me feel stupid because I am always at the house and treating it as if it is my house. At my dorm, there is nothing but paper plates and microwavable food.
I know that I have set a bad image by always being with the son and making me sound like I am desparate fool but in reality... its him who calls me. I never go over because I want to. I just go over because I HAVE TO... And now with is parents always asking him how come I dont come around as much anymore, he get annoyed by it. He would yell at me and say for me to show my face around the house for just one second so his parents would stop nagging him would be great. The last time I saw him was Father's day and he texted me up telling me that its because of him I dont come around anymore. I just told them I am busy. I guess the parents must have gotten used to and comfortable with me being around. I guess... I am cutting back my time as much as possible now becuase the feelings I have for this friend is nothing but pure friendship. I have tried to surpass the bad scar he has left in my heart and I have tried to like him but that just aint going to happen. I keep feeling like he will hurt me if I confess or anything. True, in my heart I still feel for him but its not the same as before. He is pretty much the only Hmong friend I have so I chill with him. I now tend to hang with my caucasian friends more since I realized what a bad image I have set for me and my parents. Yet again... Am I really... I still feel like his parents might like me... Because they are always asking about me. Then again... Who knows...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
^^ you DON'T have to.
you're going there to slave yourself off for no reason
i understand that you're just being nice about it because they do provide for you too
but you are bringing all of that stress upon yourself
it's all up to you
if you want to slave yourself off to a guy's family
when you have no real relationship with him
be my guest.
if i were you.. i would not do that for him at all under any circumstances

PeNgUIn*3o3

sarNie Egg
^^ you DON'T have to.
you're going there to slave yourself off for no reason
i understand that you're just being nice about it because they do provide for you too
but you are bringing all of that stress upon yourself
it's all up to you
if you want to slave yourself off to a guy's family
when you have no real relationship with him
be my guest.
if i were you.. i would not do that for him at all under any circumstances
Thank you for the reply...
And thanks to all the Sarnie Buddies... I really appreciate all your opinions to me... =D

miss_rice

sarNie Egg
i think that you should really just say no straight out to him the next time he asks you to come over...girl ur only 21 years old...plus you don't have to go over tohis house at all...yea his parents fed u when u had no food but u don't have to cater to their every need. Especially ur friend's needs. just stop going to his place period. when he asks u or make u feel bad just tell him straight out that you don't want to go and have better things to do than go clean and cook at his house. Just my two cent here. cut that 1 or 2 times visit a week to 1 or 2 times a month...lol...hope everything works out...