papya salad

buklaoboi360

sarNie Adult
who in here likes papya salad aka som thum or thum muk hong well i do i just dont know how to make it :p i like mine alttile spicy but not too spicy lol well lets share some of ur ingredents on how to make papya salad :)

i'm yet another fan of som tum! i have to have mine really spicy...

i, myself, don't know how to make it, but when my mother made it, i noticed that she added plenty of chili and those small black crabs...i'm guessing you would also need fish sauce...umm...green beans (the long, stalky ones), cherry tomatoes, sugar, garlic, and lime...and obviously -- green papaya...

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee som tum! I too like mine very, very, very spicy, so spicy that it makes your eyes water and I like it smelly too haha. I rarely make it myself because I like the homemade pla-ra's or pladaek that they use in my fav restaurant because the packaged ones aren't as tasty. Anyways, all you need is those things that thai-lakorn-fan-forever already mentioned and I also like those pink shrimp paste things in mine as well even though I hate shrimp. So ironic, I know. But it makes the som tum taste sooo much better. If you have Asian supermarkets there, you're also pretty lucky because then you can buy the already shredded papaya instead of having to shred it yourself... well that's if they have it. I also like the prik ki noos, so spicy!!! If you're choosing to use the prik ki noo, use a moderate amount or else you will have an upset stomach like I did. Although that experience was pretty good because I've build up my high tolerance for my spiciness since then :lol:.

What I do is first I grind the chili and garlic in the mortar, then after that I add in the papaya, the pla-ra or pladaek, the fish sauce, crab paste, shrimp paste, the tomatoes, and the lime. And then you can add sugar and the peanuts if you like. When I make it I tend to not add the sugar since I like mine just sour and spicy but the sugar helps with bettering the taste of your som tum. Also, if it's not sour enough then I add in the tamarind seasoning mix instead of using lots of lime. Obviously, the lime would be the better "healthy" ingredient than the tamarind seasoning but whatever, it's som tum, gotta make it taste good lol.

Have fun with your som tum!!! I actually had some tonight so I'm like in such an electrifying som tum mode right now :).

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
oooooooo i like som tum toooooooooooooooo. i like mine real spicy. my mama lob dem pickled crabs in hers but ew lol i don't lol ohhhh salty eggs in it is goood too

fun

Expired Sarnie
som tum yummieeee :drool: .... i want some now!!!

i like mine super spicy!!! it wouldnt be som tum any more if it was not spicy lol!!! my viet friends had 1 small crushed pepper in theirs and they were crying their eyes out lol... i dont use the same ingredients i dont have my own receipe but i like to throw other things... and sometimes i would use cucumber, mango or carrots instead of papaya.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I like mine with lots of limes, tomates, shrimp paste, and padek. After that I like to eat with pork skin, basil, lettuce or cabbage, mints, and cilantro and Kapoon (Thai/Lao vermecelli noodles).

The average chilli peppers we put in is a handful and a half. :drool:

little

sarNie Adult
i love papaya salad. i get the cravings right before i get my period. and when I don't get to eat it i feel so weak but after i have my papaya salad i get energize while i'm on my period. I like mine sweet, sour, and a little spicy. I can't eat hot, hot like just 1 bite and u feel the pepper like before I guess I'm weak now. Oh yeah I don't like/rarely making them cuz it's not good. I don't like to touch shrimp paste, crab paste, pra dek but I love eating them. isn't it ironic. in fact I just have it today it's was so good makes my mouth salivating and I feel like wanting more cuz my mouth feels salivating when I think about sour, hot stuff like green mangoes w/chilli. I'm in the mood/time of starting my period so that's why I think about hot,sweet, sour , pickling.

Muddie Murda

smile...
I guess I'm the only odd one...I like mines very very very spicy and sour.

I'm very picky and so I don't like much of the stuff that others put in their papaya salad. I only like the garlic, chilli peppers (lots lots lots), the papaya (dur), tiny pinch of salt, numpla, and lemon. Sometimes I feel bad because it's so "white" hahahaha so I add a bit of tamarind stuff. like...A tinyyyyy...tiny tiny. just for color! :p Sometimes Tomatoes, but I prefer not to add them because it ruins the taste. That's all hahahaha :D

At the papaya salad stands, I'm all like, "yeah, don't put that...and that...and none of that...none of that..." and they stare at me all weird like, "err okay...taste it and tell me if it's ok because I know if I taste it, it won't be" :p

^_^ Most of the time when my mom makes it or my brother, it's pretty good, even with all the stuff I don't like (shrimp paste...whatever they put in)

On the side, I like it eat it with lettuce, vermecelli noodles.

I guess no one would be interested in taste my papaya salad. hahaha :D

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
heck yea spicy is the way to go i gotta have some meat with mine preferably chicken oh and definetly rice

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
aah.. I'm probably the odd one out.... BUT I loathe papaya salad. :lol: Spicy or not, I won't eat it.

LOL. Everybody thinks I'm a strange gal for not eating it. :lol:

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
OMG NOY.. UR ONE OF THE FEW AZNS I KNOW THAT DONT LIKE PAPAYA SALAD...

I FREAKEN LOVE IT.. SUPER SPICY HEHE..

n_naruk

TOOMTAM :: CHALiDA
I love mine tum mak hoong EXTRA SPICY!!!! I actually made me some the past 2 nights, mixed with the kao poon noodles! I make them like every week. It's my late night snack before i go to sleep. Lmao. And Ima make me some before I go to sleep tonight. Talking about it makes me want some. Lol.​

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
aah.. I'm probably the odd one out.... BUT I loathe papaya salad. :lol: Spicy or not, I won't eat it.

LOL. Everybody thinks I'm a strange gal for not eating it. :lol:
i have cousins dat aint so into either. they're way americanized though lol they like to eat chicken and dats it LOL

oooo i like to eat som tum w/ grilled chicken tooo or dem beef sticks and STICKY RICE or plain rice is fine too :D

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
OMG NOY.. UR ONE OF THE FEW AZNS I KNOW THAT DONT LIKE PAPAYA SALAD...

I FREAKEN LOVE IT.. SUPER SPICY HEHE..
LOL. All my asian friends are like "uh... what's wrong with you noy?" LOL. I just never got into eating papaya salad.

i have cousins dat aint so into either. they're way americanized though lol they like to eat chicken and dats it LOL

oooo i like to eat som tum w/ grilled chicken tooo or dem beef sticks and STICKY RICE or plain rice is fine too :D
haha. I loveeee thai/lao food! Cannot live without it! :lol: but I can't eat som tom or tum mak hoong. LOL. Something about it makes me ... blach...

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
Noy, you should give it a try for reals! It's good stuff. Lol.​
LOL. There's no way anyone can get me to get papaya salad. haha.
The last time I actually had papaya salad was probably 12 years ago. :lol:
I just don't like it. It's the taste of papaya I don't like.