New Upcoming Hmong movie with Thai superstar!!

dancy

sarNie Oldmaid
Saw the trailer and I thought it was a thai movie. :coverlaf: Since in the trailer everyone was speaking Thai and there wasn't any Hmong people speaking Hmong. I didn't see any Hmong actor having a role in there. What happened to all those Hmong actors that dose movies we all watch and see? From the trailer I only see Hmong people running around and trying to not get kill. I did not know the director for this movie was Hmong.

chouakim

TTFC♥
So many familiar faces for both Thai and Hmong actors. I'm really glad they've done a story on this. I hope the movie will be released to the public soon. I think my dad and all other Hmong veterans deserve to see this.

^ The production company itself has a Thai name so I'm pretty sure this was not a Hmong production group. I really don't think we'd be able to get access to all of those Thai veteran actors also if it was a Hmong company.

pangiaxiong

sarNie Adult
Saw the trailer and I gotta agreed with one of the girl above. I don't see anyone speaking Hmong at all. I know the director is mainly targeting Thais but I hope that when I finally get to watch the whole movie, it'll include some Hmong speaking Hmong too, otherwise how can this be a Hmong movie..just saying. But yeah, the trailer was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to watch it this summer :D

cecilia

Staff member
So many familiar faces for both Thai and Hmong actors. I'm really glad they've done a story on this. I hope the movie will be released to the public soon. I think my dad and all other Hmong veterans deserve to see this.

^ The production company itself has a Thai name so I'm pretty sure this was not a Hmong production group. I really don't think we'd be able to get access to all of those Thai veteran actors also if it was a Hmong company.
One of the producer guy said they did not get any sponsor from the Thai people except the government/military in using their equipment once they went in to talk to them that they're planning in making this movie.

As for actors, they have to hire a Thai person to look for these actors then have him send the photos over to them to select who they want to be in the movie. At first they want to cast a Hmong p'ek but due to the fact that the p'ek grew up in the city and raise by a Thai parent so it only make sense that his thai has to be fluent. When they start casting a Hmong p'ek, their Thai are not fluent and that's why they finally decide to pick a Thai p'ek who looks a close as to Hmong as possible to play the p'ek role here.

Bowie plays the n'ek - there's a hmong girl too but she plays as support.

I do agree that they need to include a bit of hmong especially in the village b/c the community doesn't speak Thai all the way - but knowing how ppl are in Thailand - their children speaks Thai as much as us speaking ENGLISH here so it only make sense that they might neglect their own native tongue like some of our parent trying to speak to us in broken English.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to this - hope it's good like the trailer make it out to be.

chouakim

TTFC♥
^ Wow, that's really interesting. I'm really shocked since there are a few Thai veteran actors in here. I would think that they'd get paid a chunk of money to star in a movie.

I wish this was part of the LA Asian Pacific Film Festival, us Hmong SoCal's could have seen it this week. :(

sherlyi

sarNie Hatchling
is this on sale yet??..and where???...the pra'ek real name is Akarat......he starred in Dok Soke, u could see him probaly on epi 19-21 and more....

memelee

sarNie Egg
I really want to see this movie too. the trailer looks very interesting.

however, if you are expecting a Hmong movie, it is not a Hmong movie. It is a Thai movie with Hmong people in it.
Although, the producers are Hmong and Thai. :)

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Below is from an article I got off SHIBC News:

“Hmoob Blood for Freedom” is a film that sheds light on the plight of the Hmong people living in the Kaokor Mountains in Thailand from 1968 to 1982. Conflicts between the Thai government and the communist regime forced the Hmong to take part in the bloody battles that raged on for 14 years. This story is told through the eyes of Kaeng, a Hmong born, Thai-raised young man, who is caught in the middle of this conflict.

If you are expecting to see your favorite Hmong actors and actresses, and hear Hmong language speaking, this movie is not for you. The leading actors and actresses in this movie are all majority Thai. “This movie is intended to target other mainstream audiences, as well as Thai spectators in Thailand,” said Jimmy Vanglee, one of the Directors of the movie.

Jimmy Vanglee added that the main language spoken in the movie is Thai, and that the subtitles are in English. There maybe a special version of the movie that will be released for sale in the Hmong community that will have subtitles in Hmong very soon.

“The total cost to make this movie was approximately $700,000.00 U.S. dollars,” said Jimmy Vanglee, during a Suab Hmong Broadcasting exclusive interviewed with him in Thailand.

Lais Lee, one of the Producers from Payeng Race Up Production, based in Thailand said that there are many producers including those from China and Laos that made this film possible.

“Initially some of the producers wanted to just invest their money into the making of the movie, but when the movie began shooting, some decided to devote more time and effort and became producers…whether we have gained or lost, we wanted to be a part of the movie…” said Lai Lee, during a Suab Hmong News exclusive interview.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
I'm not hmong...but I too am waiting for it to come out on DVD so that I can get a copy for my husband and his parents to watch. They're Hmong.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Wow...the trailer really caught my attention. There are some actors that aren't very popular in here, but there are the popular ones too. Especially the older guys. Has anyone seen it? What did you think?

D~D

sarNie Adult
OMG! PEOPLE IN MINNESOTA ARE SOO LUCKY LAST NIGHT!!!!
Well heres a
glimpse of the stars of Hmoob Blood For Freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0yHBsC5F8&feature=g-u-u
wow.... She's really pretty in person. BTW... Movie quality have gotton so damn good !!! That's aweSome :)

mia07

Introvert
Wow, I remember that old guy, Rit Loecha. Done so many movies with Sorapong Chatree. $700K? Holy crap. I sure do hope this film is good and lives up to its money worth, but I have been so tired with these Hmong war movies. Lately all the new Hmong movies that have come out, it's all about war. It's kind of like a trend - one year it's all about comedy, the next year it's all about actions, etc... I kind of miss Hmong romance movie and have not seen any lately. I hope this one is good.