My Paypal got hacked!

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Some hacker got into my paypal account and took over 600 dollars from my bank account. Worst yet, Paypal investigated the case on their own, but closed the case giving these people my money! So, I reopened the case and reported them again and hopefully they respond soon and give me my money back. I need it to pay bills.

Seriously, why do people hack to take people's money when the person they're stealing from is poor and already financially drowned. Worst yet, these hackers are proud of themselves for being able to take people's money. They're not sorry one bit. And they post YouTube vids on how to hack someone's paypal account and people give them five stars for it. Pathetic.

Has anyone else been in this kind of issue? If so, did you get your money back? After this is resolved I want to close my paypal account, which means I can't order from sarnworld anymore :(. But, I can always ask a friend to order it for me and I pay in cash for it.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
One thing you should do is NEVER put your BANK INFORMATION into your PAYPAL account. If you have a credit card ... than you can use just that. You should report it with your bank also. Cus they can trace to where the money was going too. As for Paypal....they should kept the case open until 30days. Keep in touch with them ... cus when I bought something and it was a scam ... I reported it and they eventually refunded my money back.

I wouldn't be surprise that if it was a Paypal worker that took the money or someone know someone that work with Paypal ...

Btw, you got a email saying you have to update your Paypal right or something a long that line?

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Oh shoot...hearing from you I'm gonna close my paypal account now. There's nothing that I need to purchase as of right now.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol Lailai you don't need to close your paypal account just be cautious. If you get a e-mail saying you need to update your password DO NOT fall for it because paypal will never do that.. they would at the most when you sign in tell you you should update your password but even that you should check your browser and make sure that it says "paypal.com" also as Kenny suggested. If you have a credit card use that or at the least your debit card because with your bank account it is like being a sitting duck (sorry if that sounds cruel) but I never use any bank account to associate my paypal account I prefer credit cards because they will definitely be more helpful when things like this happens

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Thanks for the tip...but yeah I went into my paypal account just now and deleted my bank account, but I didn't delete my paypal just in case in the future I might need it agian. hehehe

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
Thanks for the tip...but yeah I went into my paypal account just now and deleted my bank account, but I didn't delete my paypal just in case in the future I might need it agian. hehehe

Yea, just delete your Bank account information from there .... and if you have a credit card .. than just use that ... it would also be great if ur credit card is with your bank becus they are more helpful than if you get credit card from a credit union or something.

as always ... NEVER reply to ANY EMAILS saying you have to UPDATE your Paypal ACCOUNT or BANK ACCOUNT .. cus Paypal and your BANK would NEVER asked anything through EMAIL

ijohn

sarNie Adult
i have a paypal account but as of yet have not been hacked... i transfer a lot of money threw them to venders so i'm always on top of transactions and any suspicious activity... it's like i'm wired into the internet and see all activity to my accounts as they happen---lol--- a few years back someone hacked into my Discover account and i caught that activity as it was happening so i called discover and they asked me if i wanted to block the user and i'm like "NO" cancel the card immediately,,, the hackers never got a cent and the next day i got a new card in the mail,,, guess discover card didn't want to loose my business... two weeks later i get this letter from discover telling me my account had been compromised---lmao--- just have to be aware of scams and activity always in this environment of electronic commerce...

... i think you will get you money but it will take time for PayPal fraud department to investigate the transaction... also did you call your bank to get their fraud department involved,,, you might get faster relief from them sooner...

ntxhais

sarNie Hatchling
Poop! I hate hearing about these kind of things! I better go delete my bank info at paypal too. So my bank is kinda stupid and they don't have credit cards (TCF), where would you guys recommend getting a credit card? Besides changing my bank to wells fargo or something.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Credit cards have pro and cons. I think if you could afford the payment then you should go ahead and open a credit card account to build credit and establish credit .. I have a few credit cards that I have open but don't use and just pay the small 4 dollars a month interest so that my credit can go up ^__-" I have one through my bank Chase Bank so I'm pretty sure if your credit is decent you can open a credit card up with another bank even if you don't have a bank account with them

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Wow, should I remove my bank account for Paypal? But I like the feature where I can instant-transfer for the funds so it won't charge me the fees especially I buy a lot of things through LJ community. "/ I never have been hacked to any money sites but friend-networking sites are, though... >_>

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Kit Kat Do you have a credit card or debit card? If you do you should use those in your paypal account instead of your bank account. If something does happen debit and credit cards are more likely to be more helpful. For example some of my friends have had bad experiences with paypal and what they did was call their bank and after their bank attempted to contact the merchant and couldn't find a resolution the payment was returned. I think disputes only work with debit and credit cards I'm not sure about bank accounts though

sajenna

sarNie Oldmaid
i use to have the same problem but this person has hacked all my accounts, my mail, sarnworld, youtube... all! i have to call to paypal to inform them and now, i'm ok. so beware.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
I have both credit and debit cards... I once used a debit card for Paypal but it's so annoying to pay a fee whenever I buy something from LJ community although it looks cheap but money isn't free, either. u_u; From your friends' experience sounds terrible D: which makes me feel like I should remove it as soon as possible.

You know, few sellers I have seen, require buyers to have a verified Paypal... luckily, I didn't see what items I want from 'em, though. =) For now, I haven't been hacked... Let's hope that I'd not be forever. n_n"

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Okay. I got some of my money back from two of the transactions and now they're still reviewing 2 more. I notified my bank but I'm supposed to go in and do this fraudulent report thing. And they recommend that I close my account and open a new one. However, I don't want to close the account until I get all of my money back from paypal. So, as of right now, I deleted my card info. And kept my bank account there until I get all of my money back. And then I'm going to close my paypal account. Hopefully all the transactions are done by next week. Then I will go to the bank, close my account and reopen a new one in case the hackers got my account number.

I don't think I ever clicked on anything from spam mail from paypal. I learned not to click on those things from my computer class. But, anything can happen. I think my password was just too easy for paypal account hacker. I should've changed my password earlier, but I have so many accounts that I forget which ones I have the harder difficulty level for and which ones I don't. Maybe one day I will open a new paypal account with my other email and a tougher password and no bank account listed.

noungning

Heartless
oh dear. haven't been checking my paypal... but bank info is on there... for instant transfers. bank is pretty good with returning my money back.

but yeah everything is scary now a days... but usually everything involving money now... it takes time...

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I work at the bank, and it's horrifying how people get scam. And people give us such a hard time every time we ask for ID. They throw fits saying that they shouldn't need an ID to get into their own account. Dumb... It's all about being careful who you give your personal infor to. Heck, I prepare income taxes, and I even warn people not to give the IRS their bank account infor beside for direct deposit.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I totally agree Ruk it's so annoying when people throw fits when people ask for their ID in order to give out information. I am actually really happy when people ask for my ID when I use my card or anything like that. Like when I go to a store and they ask for my ID I know they are doing their job. There are some places where I go they are SUPPOSE to ask for ID but they don't lol. Even at my bank, I go there often and the teller and I have become friends, but even so whenever I go to the bank she still asks me for my identification and I'm comfortable with that. I hate how people get hissy fits over that but when their money gets compromised they blame at it the very same people who ASKED them for their identification, "Like on she didn't ask for an id or what." Well she asked for it last time and your ass went off on her. Lol.