Moving to Laos

soupansa

sarNie Hatchling
Okay, so my parents decided to move back to Laos. I went there for a month and came back recently like a week ago. It was a pretty fun experienced and I got attached to the people there. But, my concern is do they have things over there like they have here? I know they have dental clinics, but what about contact lenses? & not to sound like a bimbo, but what about makeup and tampons? I'm also worried about this: I love it there and would love to live there...BUT only temporarily. There's so much to do there, but what if I get sick of it? Anyone know lives there should tell me what it's like and if they do have the things there like they have here. I'm afraid that I will lose all data on America if I live there. My parents are excited about going back to their home country especially when they're loaded with money right now. They said they basically came to America for money. My dad haven't seen his relatives in over 10 years and he wants to be in Laos in case anything happens to his mother (sad.) My mom already bought land there and she's making a guesthouse, a club/bar, and a store. They seem so determined about this and I'm just like: BLAH, I don't really care. Any advice?? Thanks for reading :]

p.s. i'm going there in march to check out the land and the business with my mother and she's making me stay there for 7 months while she comes back to the USA to take care of financial matters.

donna

sarNie Adult
i'm pretty sure that they have those there. but if you're in the country they might not have it(i think!) the city might have it. u would probably have to travel some distance to get those things. that's cool that you're going back. i was born here in the states. i am a city girl so i don't think that i can go without the basic neccessities. my mom said that they are trying to modernize things over there.

Reagan

sarNie Adult
there is make up, just not alot like in america and them western countries that rely on it. Laos doesnt need fancy stores nor fancy decoration, its got it all baby!

jensen

sarNie Fansubber
Soupansa, don't worry girl lol !!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i will tell you from my own experience ok? i Lived there for six months (from march to august 2006) and now i'm back to France. I really miss the country, cos it was so fun and good there !

I know that Lao seems to not have all the modernities you can have in the USA, but there are also easy ways to get them dear !

If you live in Vientiane capital, Luang Prabang, Savannakhet or Tar khek, it will be ok, cos they are becoming moderns.

I lived in Vientiane. No problem for the food, it is very cheap. People there are very warm and nice. Alcool is cheap too haha. U can have access to hi speed internet too cos there are many internet cafe everywhere in the capital and for cheap.

For ur makeup and tampons, you can find them in many shops in Vientiane. U can try at Dong Palan's side. There are also sportswear shops. And if u live at Vientiane, you know u are not very far from Thailand.

When i was there, i used to go to Udorn or NongKhai to do shopping. It is not very expensive, just book a bus ticket at Sabaidee bus, then u go there for only a few kips. I used to go there in the morning and back to vientiane at 6pm. There are many malls there in Nongkai and Udorn (Tesco Lotus, Robinson, Charoensri, etc...)

For clothes u can go to the morning market (but it is expensive for tourists lol), so me went to the chinese market (also called evening market).

For internet it is better for u to go to internet cafe cos if u wanna set up internet at home it is a lil bit expensive if it is an illimited connection, or u can choose a limited access (by card).

What else? lol

if u need some informations or if u look for something, just tell me, if i can help it would b a pleasure !

don't worry u will like living there ! it is not as "hi tech" as Thailand, but where u will live is calm, no much pollution and if u miss the modernities, there are some pubs, nightclubs and many festivals and exhibition (I Tech = where u can find clothes, make up, all for beauty, bowling, etc)in Lao or in thailand.

Oh i forgot lol ! there are a lot of korean/chinese/japanes/western movies and cds at the chinese market for about 1 to 4 dollars !!! hehe

dfemc

sarNie Adult
totally on the dot JENSEN :) that's why Laos was one of my most favoritest countries in Southeast Asia, simple, not too modernized, romantic, but has enough of the basic necessities. since it's close to China and Thailand, two fairly modern nation, it's able to bring in lots of commodities from there. what can u say, it's geographically lucky.

i'd live there for 2 years if i could. *sigh*

noungning

Heartless
yeah tho i was in laos for just 5 days, i'm pretty sure there are all those necessities u've listed. i guess it's a bit different, but a change is always good.

fuzzy-wuzzy

sarNie Juvenile
lol... I was born and live in laos the whole life and just move to usa with ma sis to study haha...and i love laos, ofcourse.

i live in vientiane and everything has developed now... well, atleast more than where i live here in usa honestly... i understood that people who came here for a long time love here and many said that they want to live here and don't want to return..lol...

laos is not a bad place... for me, lao is the best place on earth to live... no crime, etc......lol.. and one thing is that you can keep up to date on the internet, satellite tv, etc. ... and/or go to thailand for shopping like bangkok, etc...

people who was born where thaey are tend to love and don't want to move..lol...me too! :yahoo: :)