morning after pill

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
okay...so i was bored and read our school paper and there's an article in there about the morning after pills...should it be offered as an over-the-counter drug without prescription or should you have a prescription in order to get the drug???...anyone have any thoughts on it???

on a side note...this pill is NOT a form of abortion...all it does is it prevents the egg from being fertilized...according to the dictionary...abortion means: induced termination of pregnancy before the embryo or fetus in viable

K

KawaiiTennyo

i think it should be over the counter if it doesn't harm girls .. well prescription is good too so in case the girls get sick or it's bad for them .. everyone's body is different .. the girls can go to planned parenthood . it's cofidential and free i think .. so what is there to debate about!??! cuz this is not any form of abortion .. it's just smart choice .. especially for girls that got rapped and stuff.. oh forgot to add hahah the morning after pill is also known as the PCP pills for pharmacist and chemist .. it can work 5 days after unprotected sex .. not just only the day after .. =) so yea .. go do your research and be safe kids ..

Rakniran

No,i dont think that it should. I took that pill once and it destory my body pretty bad. Make u bleed for a while. Give u period twice a month thats not cool ,when normally is only once a month for every girls. for some weird reason i think is bad for your ovary too,but correct me if,i'm wrong. I've taken it before and I think it have destory my ovary,which cause me to get pregnant very hard or cant even have a baby at all for the rest of my life.Morning after pills are not safe for every girls. We have all different body type. Different side effects happen. LIke i say...I took it before and didnt like what i see and feel. Never again for me. Thats my opinion though.

K

KawaiiTennyo

Rakniran said:
No,i dont think that it should. I took that pill once and it destory my body pretty bad. Make u bleed for a while. Give u period twice a month thats not cool ,when normally is only once a month for every girls. for some weird reason i think is bad for your ovary too,but correct me if,i'm wrong. I've taken it before and I think it have destory my ovary,which cause me to get pregnant very hard or cant even have a baby at all for the rest of my life.Morning after pills are not safe for every girls. We have all different body type. Different side effects happen. LIke i say...I took it before and didnt like what i see and feel. Never again for me. Thats my opinion though.
[post="17828"][/post]​
i dont think they can destroy your ovary .. cuz if its that dangerous it wont be given at all .. i read about the bleeding .. and side effects but im SURE you will have babies did you check with your doctor?? so like i said .. you need to get checked and get prescriptions.. its more safe..

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
oops..my bad...i forgot to mention that this a new drug...it needs to be taken within 72 hrs...and u only take it once...but in large doses and it is not FDA (food and drug administration) approved yet...the date has been moved back becuz of the controversy

there's this whole controversial issue that if it's offered as an over-the-counter drug...it'll promote more sexual activities within the teenage age groups...if it's offered as a prescription then only girls/women who are 17 or older can get the drug

K

KawaiiTennyo

anti-hmong said:
oops..my bad...i forgot to mention that this a new drug...it needs to be taken within 72 hrs...and u only take it once...but in large doses and it is not FDA (food and drug administration) approved yet...the date has been moved back becuz of the controversy

there's this whole controversial issue that if it's offered as an over-the-counter drug...it'll promote more sexual activities within the teenage age groups...if it's offered as a prescription then only girls/women who are 17 or older can get the drug
[post="17840"][/post]​
72 hours is the safest i guess.. well it should be taken ASAP after unprotected sex... and i dont think it promotes more sex because teenagers are gonan do it anyways!! more and more each day (i blame the media) .. and prescription doesn't necessarily has to be 17 and older .. because no matter what age you have sex .. you will eventually need some sort of protection if you dont want a baby .. so why be unfair and give it to the 17 and over .. isn't the younger you are the more difficult it is to take care of another life??... man i thought alot of people in here is majoring in chem or pharmacy didn't your teacher taught or mention about this pill?? oh btw im PRO-CHOICE !!!

darvil

sarNie Adult
I think they should allow it for everyone except for some obvious situations like an 8 year old buying it.

I don't think this kind of things promote sex at all. As a matter of fact I have my own theories on why the US is the way it is but that is another topic.

Obviously there will be a few individuals who might be influenced by this but I think those people are few. That is because I think if kids are going to do it.. they are going to do it regardless.

Overall I think the benefits of allowing it overshadow any other reasons people can come up with.

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
um...I agree teens are gonna do what they want...there's no stopping them...kids as young as 6th graders are u know what...sad but true...therefore I say go with it...so we don't have to hear another story of a baby found in the trash can or what not? :eek: ...there's too many unwanted babies in this world...some people might not agree with it...if they are strict Catholic...but I don't know ... I hate debates...

kutiepie

sarNie Egg
is PCP really offered as prescription? i thought it's only available if you go raped and go to the emergency room, then the doctor will give u the pill. Can somebody clarify this for me?

whether or not it is offered as prescription or it's over the counter, i still think the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancy is abstinence. with any kind of pill, there are always side effects (some side effects are extremely fatal). i think if it is offer as a prescription, then it would be safer, because that way you can know if your body is enough for that kind of medicine.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
i say don't offer it as an over the counter drug...yeah, teenagers aren't going to practice abstinence becuz that isn't consider "cool" but by having the drug as an over the counter after pill...i think it does promote more sexual activities...think about it...by offering the drug...we as adults are basically saying it's alright for teenagers to be doing things that we're trying to teach them not to do...so we're contradicting ourselves...by offering the drug over the counter...we might as well tell teenagers to go do whatever they want and not have to worry about the consequences becuz there are drugs out there to make the problem go away...and let's not forget...the drug doesn't protect against STD's

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
Hmmm this makes me thinks about guys. It's not fair because guys are able to purchase Condoms over the counter, without parents supervison or making an appt at Planned Parenthhood. I don't think Condoms have any side effect or at least no as much as what the PCP pills can do to girls. Why can't girls have that option of just going into the store and buying something to protect them from being pregnant.

But then having the PCP pills widely available at drugs store might promote sexual activites within the teenage group but at least we know that they are being cautious about it. But if you're going to put yourself in that type of situation and having that 50/50 chance, why not go with the daily pills? What do they call it..uhmm TETRO CYLCLEN?? I heard it help clear up your skin and also you can helps with with your period cycle as well.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
one other thing...having the drug as over the counter is just the same as teaching abstinence in health class and then at the end of the day...stand by the door way and hand out condoms...what kind of sense does that make?

K

KawaiiTennyo

anti-hmong said:
one other thing...having the drug as over the counter is just the same as teaching abstinence in health class and then at the end of the day...stand by the door way and hand out condoms...what kind of sense does that make?
[post="18098"][/post]​
they actually do that?!?! hahah PCP pills.. is offered as EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION .. so yes cutiepie it is offered .. to anyone that had sex .. i don't know but i think it's because sometime condoms break .. but since when was having "sex" "cool" ? you guys should read this book call "soul of sex" .. i think every one should read it non-virgins and virgins alike .. cuz it tells you how sacred sex is and it deals with the soul .. oh yes i go with abstinence too!! all the way .. but not everyone is disciplined like some of us asian girls .. ^_^

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
yes they do...that's why there's this big debate about it...about teaching abstinence and then handing out condoms...sex isn't sacred anymore...just like marriage isn't sacred anymore...ppl go out and have sex with random ppl more often than we'd like to think

K

KawaiiTennyo

anti-hmong said:
yes they do...that's why there's this big debate about it...about teaching abstinence and then handing out condoms...sex isn't sacred anymore...just like marriage isn't sacred anymore...ppl go out and have sex with random ppl more often than we'd like to think
[post="18347"][/post]​
i guess we have to practice what we promote .. =) i didnt know they did that though handing out condoms.. i think the idea is .. ABSTINENCE it the BEST THING to do . BUT if you happen to not do that then BE SAFE about having SEX ! i don't know but i heard in thailand some restaurant you can get condoms instead of mints! wait i saw that on E travel..

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I'm not going to say whether abstinence is the best option or not. Everyone can make their own decision and sometimes choosing to have sex regularly is fine too. After all, it is natural. The inappropriateness of being promiscuous is a cultural constraint. However, I am against the morning after pill (or pcp, which btw stands for post-coital pill) being available without a prescription for a variety of reasons.

Many in here have said that people are going to have sex regardless of what's out there so why not just supply them with a way to prevent pregnancy? While that is generally true, I think the more important aspect of supplying the drug freely (in terms of not needing a prescription) is that it takes away from the importance of condoms. Think about it. People might see the morning after pill as a contraceptive as opposed to a emergency LAST ditch effort. You yourself might think that the point is irrelevant and that you know better. But think about how many uninformed people there are out there.

Secondly, most women who would need the morning after pill are either rape victims, couples who have had their condoms break, or women who were lured into having sex under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Aside from the condom break issue, I seriously think any other causes require the attention of a doctor. Besides pregnancy, they need to think about the possibility of STDs. That's why it's important that they need to consult with a doctor before getting a morning after pill.

Lastly, Khatiya said something about how there should be a birth control option available for women to buy without seeing a doctor. There is nothing wrong with a women buying condoms. It's the new millennium. Guys can't be expected to be the one who supplies them all the time. Heck, it would be even easier for girls to carry them. You can keep them in your purse. If we keep them in our wallets, it would destroy the condom. Thus, I don't think saying that girls have no over the counter option is a legitimate reason for allowing the morning after pill to be available without a prescription.

juicee

sarNie Elites
i don't really think that having an ebc (or pcp) available as an otc would discourage condom usage. i mean ebc's don't protect against stds, so unless you want to get a disease, you would use a condom. but condoms aren't 100% effective (they're only 97%), sometimes they break. and in the case of hormone-driven teenagers, well sometimes for them in the heat of passion it might be hard (no pun intended) to remember a condom or something. while that is not the best situation, luckily you can still go to plan parenthod the next morning and get an ebc to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. i mean there really isn't a difference in having it as an otc or going to planned parenthood to get one - the only one i can think of is embarresment or something ridiculous, but true.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
juicee said:
i don't really think that having an ebc (or pcp) available as an otc would discourage condom usage. i mean ebc's don't protect against stds, so unless you want to get a disease, you would use a condom. but condoms aren't 100% effective (they're only 97%), sometimes they break. and in the case of hormone-driven teenagers, well sometimes for them in the heat of passion it might be hard (no pun intended) to remember a condom or something. while that is not the best situation, luckily you can still go to plan parenthod the next morning and get an ebc to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. i mean there really isn't a difference in having it as an otc or going to planned parenthood to get one - the only one i can think of is embarresment or something ridiculous, but true.
[post="18701"][/post]​
The point about the condoms breaking is pretty valid. I acknowledged that in my argument. However, you said that sometimes in the heat of passion, it might be hard to remember a condom. Then shouldn't it be even more important for you to see a doctor to check for STDs? That's why I think it's important to have pcp as a otc drug.

You also said that condoms aren't 100% effective. That is true, but pcp is even less effective with the best one being around 90%. Even if you want to use that as a secondary precaution, shouldn't you just use spermicide or a diaphram? It seems that would be much easier to get (spermicide being otc and a diaphram needing only one doctor's appointment to get fitted) than suffering through the side effects of pcp.

Finally, I believe there is a difference between having pcp as an otc or going to something like Planned Parenthood to obtain it. The main difference is that it makes people think. True, they might have sex regardless. But at least they'll think about the consequences. You might respond by asking "why not just make all contraceptives otc?" "That way, it will really make people think." To that, I would say I don't think condoms, spermicides, etc, fall in the same category as pcp. Pcp (while generally very safe) still has some noticeable side effects that could potentially become very dangerous. Aside from someone being allergic to latex or whatever the ingredient is in the other contraceptives, they do not induce the same type of reactions. Condoms are also a prevention against STDs, which can be harmful towards society if kept unchecked. Pregnancy, while a drain on society's resources, technically only affect the individual and the immediate relations. Thus, I think contraceptives such as condoms is ok to be otc but pcp is not.

juicee

sarNie Elites
okay when you say that pregnacy only affects individuals and immediate relations - which individual are referring to the mom, dad, or the baby? i mean I think it greatly affects society, not just an individual or a certain group of people. if an unwanted child is born and not loved, it he will be affected emotionally for sure. there are abandoned babies who end up in foster care with horrible subpar conditions. and foster care is state run, which gets money from taxpayers, so it does affect everyone in one way or another. then there are babies that are abandoned in the trash or other horrible places. yes you may not personally know those kids, so it might not affect you directly.

i never said anything about not going in for an std check if a condom breaks or if you didn't use one. but the thing is, a lot of people don't even know about PP, so they might not think to go and get an ebc there. if it was available as an otc, they would have easier access to it.

about using a secondary precaution, such as spermicide or a diaphram, well if you really didn't think to use a primary precaution such as condoms, why would you use a secondary one?

i never said that ebcs should be everytime you have sex.

also there are rape victims that never report what happened to them. either they are ashamed or think it is their fault. they don't go to the er for an exam and an ebc. they don't go to pp for an ebc. if at least an ebc was available as an otc, then perhaps they would be more comfortable there.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
"okay when you say that pregnacy only affects individuals and immediate relations - which individual are referring to the mom, dad, or the baby? i mean I think it greatly affects society, not just an individual or a certain group of people. if an unwanted child is born and not loved, it he will be affected emotionally for sure. there are abandoned babies who end up in foster care with horrible subpar conditions. and foster care is state run, which gets money from taxpayers, so it does affect everyone in one way or another. then there are babies that are abandoned in the trash or other horrible places. yes you may not personally know those kids, so it might not affect you directly."

When I say individuals and immediate relations, it encompasses both the mom, dad, and baby (if you target the mom as the individual, the dad and baby would be the immediate relations, and vice versa). I do understand that unwanted babies affect society. It's a drain on our resources and yes, I am worried about that. But hear this point out. If pcp was not available otc, what would be the consequence? You will probably get a little more unwanted pregnancies and out of these, I doubt all of the babies will be abandoned or put into foster care. Thus, it's not a guarantee. However, if condoms were not available otc, there would be a huge epidemic of STDs. That's what I mean by saying that not having condoms would affect society much more than not having pcp. However, the debate here is whether or not pcp should be available over the counter. There are numerous ways to prevent pregnancy and EVEN if you do need pcp, it is available, just not otc. Which brings me to my next point.

i never said anything about not going in for an std check if a condom breaks or if you didn't use one. but the thing is, a lot of people don't even know about PP, so they might not think to go and get an ebc there. if it was available as an otc, they would have easier access to it.

Pcp is currently available as a prescription. So if they need to go in for an std check like you said, then it shouldn't matter if pcp is not available otc or not. They should go in to see the doctor, get a pcp, and also get checked out for stds.

about using a secondary precaution, such as spermicide or a diaphram, well if you really didn't think to use a primary precaution such as condoms, why would you use a secondary one?

I only mentioned spermicide and a diaphram because you suggested that pcp can be used as a secondary precaution. "while that is not the best situation, luckily you can still go to plan parenthod the next morning and get an ebc to prevent an unwanted pregnancy." I'm just saying that spermicides and a diaphram is a better secondary precaution.

also there are rape victims that never report what happened to them. either they are ashamed or think it is their fault. they don't go to the er for an exam and an ebc. they don't go to pp for an ebc. if at least an ebc was available as an otc, then perhaps they would be more comfortable there.

This last point is definitely an opinion piece. Yes, there are many rape victims who never report what happened to them and they should. Why you believe that this is the reason why pcp should be available otc, I think this is why I don't want pcp to be available otc. These women NEED to go see a doctor to check for STDs and get an pcp. I think that by keeping the pcp with the doctors, it will make women more inclined to go see a doctor as opposed to not reporting the rape.

This debate reminds me of football. If anyone here is a football fan, they would know that there is this rule that if a decision was made on the field, the coaches have a chance to challenge the ruling. However, the decision will only be change if there was overwhelming evidence for it to change. The current situation is that pcp is not available otc. From the way I see it, I think the pros associated with pcp requiring a prescription far outweigh the cons. True, there are benefits to having pcp as an otc drug. However, none of these benefits seem large enough or consistent enough for it to change to an otc drug.