Miniature Hmong Skirts

carpetflyer

sarNie Egg
This is one of many random hobbies I like to do when I have the time. For most of my life, I was the only son in a family of 10+ sisters so I was able to learn a few basic sewing skills. Often, my little sisters would ask me to make clothes for their dolls,and that was how I got into this.

What do you guys think? If there's enough interest, I can show you other outfits I have made. Anybody else besides me here prefer these traditional designs?

x_xshinx_x

sarNie Hatchling
WOW!!~ You are really talented!! I try making clothes for my sister's doll.. and it look nothing like this!! HAHAH XD
OMG I would love to see your other design!! ^^

ayang874

sarNie Hatchling
Really you're a guy that likes to make Hmong doll clothes? That's really cool, nice way to get the ladies. They look every nice. Yes, I've heard that it's quite rare to rind authentic traditional Hmong skirts today, most are factory made in China. Do you have any pictures of the the clothes you've made on dolls? Would love to see that.

carpetflyer

sarNie Egg
Here's a Moob Leeg skirt. They are the hardest to make because of all the intricate details I have to pay attention to. While it only takes me 1-2 days to sew a Hmoob Dawb skirt and about an hour to sew a shirt or apron, a Hmoob Leej can take me up to two or three weeks! Either way, I enjoy making them because they are so beautiful.

All of my Moob Leeg skirts are drawn and colored by hand, which is why making them takes so long. To achieve the batik-look in the middle section of the skirt, I drew the designs onto the cloth with a black Sharpie before coloring over it with a blue Sharpie.

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
Good Job. It's really interesting. Glad to know that there are a man like you can do this things, very attractive. ; ) You are doing great there. I wish I know how to sew dresses but so far I only know how to sew paj ntaub for the shirt and the shev for the dress.

carpetflyer

sarNie Egg
That's so cool, but you should of found a black haired Barbie.

But that's the sad part...

The black-haired Baries are so popular with my sisters that they are all either lost or in pieces. All we have left are these.

If you look closely, you can see that I tried to twist some black thread around its head to make a big hair bun. I know that back in the old days, Hmong Leng women would save up their fallen hairs and twist them into a wig for themselves and their daughters.

Look at this picture:

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/display/21764577

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
But that's the sad part...

The black-haired Baries are so popular with my sisters that they are all either lost or in pieces. All we have left are these.

If you look closely, you can see that I tried to twist some black thread around its head to make a big hair bun. I know that back in the old days, Hmong Leng women would save up their fallen hairs and twist them into a wig for themselves and their daughters.

Look at this picture:

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/display/21764577
Wow, I never knew that the fallen hair was used for their hair. I just thought it was part of a culture, a normal thing. I used to always see my grandma roll her hair up with those wigs that you mentioned. Cool I just learned something from you, thank you.

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
You should so just quadruple the size && sell it... Now a days girls don't wear long hmong skirts anymore... LOL! they prefer the short ones.