Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
Which type of Pho do you like best??

Pho Bo Vien (Beef Meatball Pho), Pho Bo (Beef Pho), Pho Ga (Chicken Pho), or Pho Chay (Vegetarian Pho)

Give me any type of Pho, I will be one happy lady. I like them all!

Thinking of making some Phumplings if possible lol, too far to travel to New York to eat them :( :lol:.

Cr to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Tet will arrive in about 5 more days :weee:  :yahoo: so let get down to business & talk about it :party:. There are so many things to talk about Tet & since this thread is about Vietnam's cuisine - foods & drinks then I will just primarily focus on Tet's foods & drinks.

After I am done talking about Tet's foods & drinks (I will try to gather as much info on them as possible) then I will move on to talk about other things concerning with Tet :coverlaf:.

Ms.Zoe

What have I gotten myself into? :lolyup: Tet will arrive in 1/2 days & I have not posted up any photo of traditional Tet cuisine yet and they are so many so it is impossible for me to gather all of them up, post them & talk about them in details. Therefore I am thinking of making this work as a project that will take some time for me to finish (hopefully I will finish it :coverlaf:).

Now let's get started! Before I go straight into talking about traditional Tet cuisine, I want to talk a little bit about the country of Vietnam first. Vietnam is divided into 3 regions - North, Central & South. Each region has its distinct dishes for Tet but also has some similar dishes as compared to the other 2 regions' dishes as well.

Northern Tet cuisine

1. Bánh Chưng

*will be back to continue :)

Cr as tagged & rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Readers, I am taking a break from posting foods & drinks photos :lolyup:. I will return to the Tet project later since I want to talk about Banh Chung because it is the essential food for Tet, the soul & spirit of Tet, without it Tet would not be Tet :yes: and of course post & talk more about other Tet foods & drinks.

The reason for the break is because I want to post photos of Ao Dai, Vietnamese Traditional Costume :) and Tet is the holiday in which most Vietnamese people, men & women of all ages will wear one :dance1:.

Cute kids in Ao Dai

The girl is holding a branch of the flower Mai (Ochna integerrima - Vietnamese mickey mouse plant)

These flowers are Hoa Dao (Peach Blossom)

I think the flowers behind this cute girl are Hoa Cuc Vang (Yellow Chrysanthemums)

These 3 types of flowers are the essential flowers of Tet :flowers:.

Cr as tagged & the rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

More photos, these kids are so cute in their Ao Dai. It is a great opportunity to teach them about Tet & its many traditions.

Cr to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Last post for today, I just have to post these photos because they give off the motherly love impressions :heart:.

Not so much motherly love impression here. I do love their Ao Dai. This photo is more like mother & daugher Ao Dai fashion :lol:.

Cr to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Chuc Mung Nam Moi - Happy New Year!!!! :dance1: :dance2: :party: :yahoo: :party: :dance2: :dance1:.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Readers, I mistakenly translated Hoa Dao as Cherry Blossom but in fact that was not correct. Hoa Dao are Peach Blossom :facepalm:. It makes sense since Dao when translated means Peach.

These photos are real Hoa Mai. I think the Hoa Mai branches the 2 little girls hold are fake ones, photo props more durable :lol:. These Hoa Mai are common in Vietnam regions - Central & South whereas Hoa Dao are common in Northern Vietnam since they thrive in cool temperature of Northern Vietnam.

********will be back to edit & continue this post :)

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

I have not been active in this thread for more than a month. I will edit my post above (posting Hoa Dao photos). Currently I don't have time to do Tet project.

I just saw this video & would like to share. The foods from this restaurant all look delicious & yummy. I like the bamboo bowls (not sure but they look cool) for the yummy desserts - green colored macarons & some kind of ice cream (not sure either but they look cute & yummy).

http://youtu.be/cNZlgTH7wko

P.s. I was having troubles hearing the dessert name. <--- scratch that...it is her childhood ice cream so not sure what kind of ice cream it is.

Cr as tagged

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I had no ideas what this lady is saying, but I followed her recipe, and guessing by watching her video.  I'm happy to say my very first tries making the mooncake it came out beautifully and tastes just as good. :dance1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svf5vfC8_fA

Ms.Zoe

The mooncakes look so pretty & yummy! Thanks @Maya & Congrats on your baking success! I have not tried this type of mooncakes yet :facepalm:, I really want some! This type of mooncakes are called Thousand Layers Mooncake, they are Japanese & Chinese types of mooncake.

sarN

sarNie Granny
I live in Vietnam for a while , New Year are the best time to travel/sightseeing , I know how to cook lot of their dishes & dessert during my stay there , those mooncake are so yummy! I make mine w/ honey inside & eat them w/ vietanm coffee , they have one of the best coffee I ever taste , I drink 6 cup every morning !

sarN

sarNie Granny
well, there the basic filling that ppl use , like bean pastes,  dried fruits, shredded meats ect but I like to brunch out with different filling , I use dried fruits soak with honey  , peanut better / jelly , shredded ham & cheese ! I like to use american ingredient mix w/ Asian touch lol . When i was oversea , to past time , i like to cook and experience with different ingredient . The coffee I'm talking about are the kind that sale by street vendors ( she/he push a small cart along the street/village where i stay at ) , sometime I have to chase one down if I don't wake up early enough , seriously , I was running after this one old lady after she past my house (well, the house i stay at) . They usually have a sit stool ready and i just wait for her to make the ice coffee , it's a small amount of coffee w/ ice & milk , sometime i would pay her extra to just sit/wait for me till im done with my 3 or 6 cup. It was addicting . Vietnam have the best coffee .

Ms.Zoe

No talk of Vietnamese foods or drinks but history talk :D

For this year today is Giỗ Tổ Hùng Vương or lễ hội đền Hùng (The Hùng Kings' Temple Festival). The festival is held each year from the 8th to the 11th days of the third lunar month in honour of the Hùng Kings. The main festival day is observed on the 10th day of the month (which is today).

The official name of the festival is 'Death Anniversary of the Hung Kings'. However the date does not mark the death of any specific Hung King but to honor their contribution to Vietnam as the traditional founders & the first emperors.

The first Hùng king was Kinh Dương Vương who came to power in 2879 BC. He ruled an area covering what is now North Vietnam and part of southern China. The area was called Văn Lang and is regarded as the first nation for the Vietnamese people. He founded the Hồng Bàng Dynasty (17 Hung Kings after him) whose descendants ruled Vietnam until 258 BC.

The key ceremony takes place at the Hung Temple on Nghia Linh Mountain in Phu Tho Province, some 85km northwest of Hanoi.

cecilia

Staff member
I made pho today ... it was perfect for a windy, rainy, and cold weather.

Anyway, PHUDGE BROWNIE sounds weird ... I'd like to try pholly cheese steak -- it might be good like a bánh mì.

Ms.Zoe

A hot bowl of Pho is also good to eat when one has a cold.

My favorite is Phumplings. I could eat them separately or with soup so Phumpling soup :D.

However none of these new varieties of Pho could beat the real Pho lol :D.